Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:17 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Rolf Harris be stripped of his awards?
Should Rolf Harris be stripped of his awards?
My answer is no, yet he has been stripped of many honours which is understandable, however it's a dangerous path to go down. A convicted criminal shouldn't be hindered by his past to pursue his professional career, and on that note I don't think it's appropriate to strip awards that he was given after the time of the offences he committed. It sends the wrong message - the message that anyone with a sex-crime history is unworthy to pursue their passion and achieve.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
RE: Should Rolf Harris be stripped of his awards?
Even if his crimes were committed during the years for which he will be recognised?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
No, I think it's appropriate to revoke any given while he was a sex-offender, but not after the last convicted offence took place. As I said, all it does is add to the culture of seeing convicted persons as life-long criminals not worthy of the upper, middle, lower or working classes.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
(July 17, 2014 at 3:26 am)Aractus Wrote: No, I think it's appropriate to revoke any given while he was a sex-offender, but not after the last convicted offence took place. As I said, all it does is add to the culture of seeing convicted persons as life-long criminals not worthy of the upper, middle, lower or working classes.

My take would be:
He should've been locked up then, but was never found out. Had he been locked up then, he wouldn't have become the great man in the first place.
Surely we're not saying it's OK to harm young girls, but as long as you don't get caught, be free to become a great man.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 17, 2014 at 3:26 am)Aractus Wrote: No, I think it's appropriate to revoke any given while he was a sex-offender, but not after the last convicted offence took place. As I said, all it does is add to the culture of seeing convicted persons as life-long criminals not worthy of the upper, middle, lower or working classes.

I don't really have a strong opinion one way or the other on this issue, I can understand your points about vilifying criminals for eternity and I agree with you to a certain extent.

However what I think you have to bare in mind is that Rolf was only just recently convicted. You say that he shouldn't have any awards stripped after his last offence took place, but if he was caught and convicted at the right time he wouldn't have been a free man who was able to gain such awards in the first place. He's effectively been living and earning these awards on borrowed time. I think it's at the discretion of whoever gives out such awards. I think they do have the right to strip awards from people who could give their organisation or whatever a bad name.
(July 17, 2014 at 3:14 am)Aractus Wrote: My answer is no, yet he has been stripped of many honours which is understandable, however it's a dangerous path to go down. A convicted criminal shouldn't be hindered by his past to pursue his professional career, and on that note I don't think it's appropriate to strip awards that he was given after the time of the offences he committed. It sends the wrong message - the message that anyone with a sex-crime history is unworthy to pursue their passion and achieve.

What I think is probably more relevant is that awards like the OBE, KBE, MBE, etc. were all founded on a concept of the British Empire at a time when we were committing all kinds of vile acts to peoples across the world. A friend of mine was awarded an OBE, he's black and well known for his opinions on racial equality, especially in America where he now works. I pointed out to him what his OBE represents, it's a hang-over from a time when his ancestors were being brutally subjugated in the name of the British Empire and now he wears the badge. He's not exactly happy with me right now but he knows I'm right.

Scrap them all. Outdated, inappropriate, jingoistic bollocks.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
Don't know who the guy is but I'll tell you how things work - After you do your time your debt is paid, you can't be considered a criminal afterwards, you'll just keep the criminal record.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

it depends what the awards were for, if the awards were for working well with children then he probably should be stripped of those awards, if the awards were growing the best turnips in melville then it doesn't really effect that.
I don't even know what awards Rolf Harris had really and I think a lot of awards don't really mean much as it is, they probably mean a lot less when pretty much the whole world views him as some sort of sex offender.

As for his professional career I doubt he's going to be able to go back to doing animal hospital, drawing pictures for kids or doing insurance commercials when he gets out of prison.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(July 17, 2014 at 10:26 am)paulpablo Wrote: As for his professional career I doubt he's going to be able to go back to doing animal hospital, drawing pictures for kids or doing insurance commercials when he gets out of prison.

At his age I'd be surprised if he didn't die in prison.
(July 17, 2014 at 11:00 am)Napoléon Wrote:
(July 17, 2014 at 10:26 am)paulpablo Wrote: As for his professional career I doubt he's going to be able to go back to doing animal hospital, drawing pictures for kids or doing insurance commercials when he gets out of prison.

At his age I'd be surprised if he didn't die in prison.
I looked at Rolf's Wikipedia article, and found that, if he serves his full sentence, he'd be released shortly after his 90th birthday. Some may say it's too lenient, but, really, what chance does a 90-year-old man in prison on charges related to sex with children (one of his charges was against a woman 7 or 8 years old, and, the way I understand it, even hardened prisoners find those charges repugnant) really have of surviving?
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jury Awards Sandy Hook Families Nearly $1 Billion BrianSoddingBoru4 19 1857 October 14, 2022 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The Herman Cain Awards TaraJo 13 893 September 25, 2021 at 4:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Macron begins to retreat from his racist, xenophobic statements about Islam WinterHold 17 656 November 1, 2020 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: no one
  Biden/Harris onlinebiker 45 1478 August 13, 2020 at 9:50 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  CNN- UN expert recommends Kushner change his phone after suspected Saudi hack WinterHold 1 529 January 25, 2020 at 6:04 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  MAGA "Tough Guy " Gets His Clock Cleaned By Immigrant In The UFC The Architect Of Fate 28 2609 December 19, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  T.I. takes his daughter to the gyno every year to check her Hymen. Divinity 48 3852 December 5, 2019 at 8:39 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  A Saudi hit and run criminal breaks his electric ankle bracelet and flees America WinterHold 22 2730 April 15, 2019 at 3:34 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Trump Projected His Academic Shortcomings Onto Obama Cepheus Ace 15 1086 March 8, 2019 at 8:32 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  A Fool And His Money Are Soon Parted Minimalist 3 333 November 20, 2018 at 1:09 pm
Last Post: Chad32