Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 3:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A little bit of a personal crisis
A little bit of a personal crisis
Hello everyone, names Vex and uhm, I'm having a little bit of an, I guess you could call it an identity crisis. I'm hoping the lovely folks out there could help me a little bit with this.

I'll start off by saying I 100% do not believe in a god or any powerful deity/supreme being. However I do have beliefs that don't involve a god of any sort.

I believe that all of life is comprised of energy, Aether, and when we die it flows into essentially this grand Life stream of aether spanning all of existence, more specifically Earth. When we die we rejoin the complete stream, and remain for a variable length of time until returning to earth in some form, be it human, animal, plant, etc. When we die again we join up with our complete set of aether and basically remember everything of our past lives, and eventually are reborn and come back through the infinite march of time. This cycle of rebirth is an Aetherflow.

Recap: All of life composes Aether that follows an individual Aetherflow that goes from one life to the Lifestream and back.

This being said, some of my friends and I are not quite certain if my Aether beliefs make me distinctly *not* an atheist, or if my lack of belief in a deity is all that is required to be able to appropriately and logically use that term to describe myself. Or if it's really up to me.

Your thoughts?
RE: A little bit of a personal crisis
Atheism and theism are irrelevant under this, unless there happen to be gods involved in the process. All that is required for atheism is either an absence of belief in a god or gods (not unlike the rocks and the trees), or it is an expression of positive disbelief in a specific god or a number of gods or all gods.

Of course, atheists are nutters... so what does it matter what they call you? Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Not being snarky here; you are, as always, free to announce a revelation and start your own club, organization, fraternity, or whatever you feel is appropriate.
Hello Vex. Hi

I feel I'm too new to atheism to be of much help right now. But I can tell you, that I also struggled with what to call myself. I actually didn't want any title or label, at first.

I'm sure others will chime in and share their thoughts.

Good to have you with us.

Welcome!
[Image: graphics-rain-426733.gif]
It sounds very much like a blind mother nature idea I've been entertaining over the years... To me, to be viable, it needs to conform to 2 requirements.
It must be unconscious (no predermination)
It must be amoral

For me, if it can't satisfy these 2 criteria, then it's an idea for the ego only.
This puts it in the garbage bin with all the other religions.
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 24, 2014 at 11:13 pm)SilentVex Wrote: Hello everyone, names Vex and uhm, I'm having a little bit of an, I guess you could call it an identity crisis. I'm hoping the lovely folks out there could help me a little bit with this.

I'll start off by saying I 100% do not believe in a god or any powerful deity/supreme being. However I do have beliefs that don't involve a god of any sort.

I believe that all of life is comprised of energy, Aether, and when we die it flows into essentially this grand Life stream of aether spanning all of existence, more specifically Earth. When we die we rejoin the complete stream, and remain for a variable length of time until returning to earth in some form, be it human, animal, plant, etc. When we die again we join up with our complete set of aether and basically remember everything of our past lives, and eventually are reborn and come back through the infinite march of time. This cycle of rebirth is an Aetherflow.

Recap: All of life composes Aether that follows an individual Aetherflow that goes from one life to the Lifestream and back.

This being said, some of my friends and I are not quite certain if my Aether beliefs make me distinctly *not* an atheist, or if my lack of belief in a deity is all that is required to be able to appropriately and logically use that term to describe myself. Or if it's really up to me.

Your thoughts?

If you don't believe if a god, you are an atheist. But I don't believe in your Aether beliefs for the same reason I don't believe in a god. No evidence of it.

That said, welcome aboard!
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Being snarky now:

and a new 'movement' religious or new age, or whatever, dilutes the impact of such things universally. (meaning on earth)

So, I see whatever SilentVex is starting as advancing the AF cause. Siphoning off members from other movements, schisming, new revelations, strife, discord, etc.

He's going to have to try harder if he wants to out-weird the Scientologists, however.
If that's snark: I'll drink my ectoplasm.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome aboard SilentVex.

As others have already said, atheism is nothing more nor less than the lack of belief in any gods. It can also include the outright denial of any one, any group, or the whole damned lot of all the gods ever dreamed up by the mind of man, but said denial is not required. That's it. All there is too it.

Like Jenny, I cannot buy into your Aether beliefs either, but that's nether here nor there for the purpose of this thread.

Again, welcome aboard.

And, watch out for the wild AF horndog. One at a time they're harmless, but they seem to be hunting in packs around these parts lately. Angel
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
Get an education S'Vex

Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 18559 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Climate change crisis and God's wrath Eclectic 4 511 August 26, 2022 at 10:09 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3331 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2452 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  I told my little girl about angels yesterday... Jehanne 44 10621 September 6, 2017 at 11:23 am
Last Post: mordant
  I feel a bit relieved. Little Rik 238 23300 July 5, 2016 at 1:17 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  New video. Just a bit sarcastic. ;) smsavage32 36 9331 August 13, 2015 at 10:08 am
Last Post: brewer
  Please help me with this personal challenge accidental creation 11 3504 April 28, 2014 at 4:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Transitioning to Atheism (one personal testimony) The Reality Salesman01 1 1494 February 1, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Handling the argument from personal experience max-greece 14 4037 November 16, 2013 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce