Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handling the argument from personal experience
Handling the argument from personal experience
Of all of the arguments that theists use the hardest to deal with, and the one given the shortest shrift is the argument from personal experience.

This is going to be long folks - apologies.

The problem is that the easiest response, "you are delusional", is satisfying to neither side. There has to be more to it than that. If theists are delusional - why? Are they lying? If they genuinely believe that their personal experiences are from God then something must have convinced them of that fact - what was it?

I have spent a fairly considerable amount of time considering the above. I still do not have a proper argument - but I do have a series of examples, illustrations and comparisons that might put personal experience of God into what I would regard as its proper light.

Throughout all of this I am working on the assumption that there is no God, being an atheist its not unreasonable.

With that in mind:

1. Incorrect allocation of causality:

This is a common enough phenomenon outside of religion as well as within. The footballer who plays better when he is wearing his lucky socks (or lucky anything), for example, is far from rare. Whilst the footballer probably really knows deep down that there is no correlation between socks and how well the game is played that doesn't change the fact that he genuinely plays better whilst wearing them.

Now the difference between 2 footballers with lucky socks might be that one of them really thinks its the socks doing it and the other recognises that it is the belief in the socks that is making him play better.

On the flipside - not wearing the socks, in both cases, introduces a small element of doubt in his play. As margins in football (between curling the ball into the net and sending it high into the crowd) are minute, measured in milliseconds of timing, the slightest element of doubt can have a catastrophic impact.

2. The theists view.

This is not of their own personal experiences, but those of others who maybe from a different group (e.g. a Christian's view of a Moslem's personal experience of Allah, or to a Hindu's personal experience of Vishnu etc.) or from something else entirely.

That something else could be seeing Bigfoot, the Lock Ness Monster, aliens, alien abduction and so on.

The aim here is to find a personal experience of X that the theist rejects and then to ask them why? How do you know its not true? Why do you dismiss them as delusional? Basically all the things we throw at them they now find themselves throwing.

3. The complexity of the placebo effect.

Most people know of the placebo effect. Treating an illness with a fake pill actually shows better results than not treating it with anything.

What many don't realize is how far this goes. Dosage, for example, has an effect on results. In double blind trials with one group given 1 tablet to take twice a day and the other given 2 tablets to take twice a day with the ones taking the higher dosage do better. Other variants include comparing taking one tablet twice a day to one tablet 3 times per day. Again the higher dosage gets better results.

Additionally a placebo injection is more effective than a placebo tablet.

So getting more of a medically entirely neutral placebo along with the means of administering that placebo has an impact exactly the same as would be expected of a real drug.

The most amazing thing is that even when the patient is told the drug is a placebo the dosage effect is still present with the exact same proportionate improvement.

4. The negative placebo effect

A witch doctor puts a curse on a man - with some elaborate routine (making a doll and sticking pins in it or something). The man dies in horrible agony shortly afterwards with no obvious cause other than the curse.

Or:

We've discussed the report not all that long ago in the press with regard to the effectiveness of prayer as a treatment.

Essentially a trial was set up with 3 groups. One not being prayed for, one being prayed for but not knowing it and one being informed that they were being prayed for.

As expected the group not being prayed for, and the group being prayed for without their knowledge showed no difference in their results. The surprise was the group being prayed for and knowing it did significantly worse.

5. Delusion

Really this is a combination of all or any of the above in addition to the most common human delusion of being more important as an individual than we really are. We are all the heroes of the narrative of our own lives.

Factor in dreams, hallucinations and occasional real diagnosable psychiatric conditions and other medical complaints that might lead to visions and so on and we have, potentially a means of explaining the vast majority of personal experiences.

Most theists claiming personal experience can see/sense that the claims of others following other paths must be some form of delusion. They simply cannot see it in their own. In many ways this is indicative of delusion in and of itself. Any sane person experiencing a really peculiar event, or series of events, ought to be able to at least recognise the possibility that they might be delusional.

Apologies again for the length. The fact that I haven't yet formulated this into a cohesive argument denies me the ability to shrink it down.

Thoughts (for anyone what made it through)?
Kuusi palaa, ja on viimeinen kerta kun annan vaimoni laittaa jouluvalot!
RE: Handling the argument from personal experience
Max, I don't think you can argue someone out of a personal experience. It's sort of an argument stopper, because we can't tell theists what they feel or should feel. My response to the "personal experience" theistic argument is to end the conversation, because there's nowhere to go from there.

Of course, when one is attempting to legislate or repress based on a personal experience with god, it's time to say that this is not a good reason to force your ideas on others. But as a matter of conversation about theism and personal feelings, I think it's insulting to tell others that their experiences are invalid.

And for that matter, one thing I agree on with Sam Harris is that profoundly spiritual experiences are real neurological events. You can experience them on certain drugs, or by tweaking brain chemistry in other ways. They feel real, and they ARE real. Are they real because god was in your mind, or because you have been engaged in self-hypnotic meditation? The theist and the atheist will disagree, but the personal experience itself is probably a real thing.
I like where you've gone with this so much that I intend to use it as a reference when having such a discussion, it makes a certain sense. I find your thought process highly interesting.

If it's no trouble I'd like to ask for a link to the group trial of prayer, I've been wanting someone to do such a study and wasn't aware that one had happened.
[Image: bbb59Ce.gif]

(September 17, 2015 at 4:04 pm)Parkers Tan Wrote: I make change in the coin tendered. If you want courteous treatment, behave courteously. Preaching at me and calling me immoral is not courteous behavior.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...72253.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/12082681/

There are many links. Just search for testing the power of prayer on google.
Hmmm..... two football teams pray for victory before the start of the game. One wins and praises god for it. The other loses and never stops to think why "god" told them to go fuck themselves.

Human superstition is well-established. I don't know that you can rationalize the irrational.
(November 16, 2013 at 10:53 am)Zazzy Wrote: Max, I don't think you can argue someone out of a personal experience. It's sort of an argument stopper, because we can't tell theists what they feel or should feel. My response to the "personal experience" theistic argument is to end the conversation, because there's nowhere to go from there.

Of course, when one is attempting to legislate or repress based on a personal experience with god, it's time to say that this is not a good reason to force your ideas on others. But as a matter of conversation about theism and personal feelings, I think it's insulting to tell others that their experiences are invalid.

And for that matter, one thing I agree on with Sam Harris is that profoundly spiritual experiences are real neurological events. You can experience them on certain drugs, or by tweaking brain chemistry in other ways. They feel real, and they ARE real. Are they real because god was in your mind, or because you have been engaged in self-hypnotic meditation? The theist and the atheist will disagree, but the personal experience itself is probably a real thing.

Very much this.

A better question is why would you want to argue someone out of personal experience.

IF they are trying to represent their experience as evidence of reality, the flaw is not in the experience but in the extrapolation beyond it. The experience is true, the inferences drawn by it are not.

If they are not then why would you want to argue someone out of their experience? Presumably it's a good one, why spoil it for them if I decide to get high by dropping some acid, covering myself in honey and dancing around my living room naked, that's my business. If I get high by going somewhere quiet and indulging in psychological rituals which give me a sense of a divine and loving presence, also my business. I may tell you about how great the acid is, or how great the faith is. You're free to tell me it's not your bag. But you can't tell me either thing does not work or is not real, the effect IS real.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken."
Sith code
Fair question Jacob but the reality is that personal experience is often brought up in debates as the unarguable point. Its usually tacked on to the end of the argument from morality, the argument from design, the Cosmological argument and the ontological argument as the coup de gras.

I am working on the basis that it has been brought up and therefore deserves dealing with.

I'm not sure I like the statement "the experiences are true," I think a better version is that the "experiences are genuine," and, accepting that - explaining them or more likely providing possible alternatives towards their explanation other than God.
(November 16, 2013 at 1:22 pm)max-greece Wrote: Fair question Jacob but the reality is that personal experience is often brought up in debates as the unarguable point. Its usually tacked on to the end of the argument from morality, the argument from design, the Cosmological argument and the ontological argument as the coup de gras.

I am working on the basis that it has been brought up and therefore deserves dealing with.

I'm not sure I like the statement "the experiences are true," I think a better version is that the "experiences are genuine," and, accepting that - explaining them or more likely providing possible alternatives towards their explanation other than God.
Indeed. That's where the faulty logic lies. Personal experience proves nothing in the broader, global sense.
Sith code
If someone draws a conclusion from personal experience, but is unwilling to put the conclusion to some form of repeatable test that does not rely solely on personal experience, then that person has in effect become unreachable.

You can't communicate with a person who has severed all of his/her sensory inputs from the world you live in.
(November 16, 2013 at 3:16 pm)Chuck Wrote: If someone draws a conclusion from personal experience, but is unwilling to put the conclusion to some form of repeatable test that does not rely solely on personal experience, then that person has in effect unreachable.

You can't communicate with a person who has severed all of his/her sensory inputs from the world you live in.
Yep. A faith not based on empirical evidence or logic cannot be swayed by those things.

The tension comes when people form a belief based on personal experience... then convinces themselves that it's based on empirical evidence. Any attempt to impress anyone else with this "evidence" is doomed to frustration, as is any attempt by anyone else to Critique that evidence.

I think one needs to be honest with oneself about the basis for ones beliefs.
Sith code

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your personal views on the Afterlife Mystic Monkey 31 18722 May 12, 2023 at 10:36 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Frustrating Atheist Experience zwanzig 5 1263 July 18, 2021 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  The Atheist Experience talk show by Matt Dillahunty and others Alexmahone 12 2680 December 6, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Experience of Atheists on Christian Forums Rhondazvous 29 6646 March 11, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Did anyone listen to atheist experience this week? Won2blv 12 4069 November 25, 2016 at 11:17 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Atheists: have you ever had a religious experience and what did you make of it? tantric 110 18075 January 22, 2015 at 11:08 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  A little bit of a personal crisis SilentVex 48 8641 July 27, 2014 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Please help me with this personal challenge accidental creation 11 3531 April 28, 2014 at 4:16 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Transitioning to Atheism (one personal testimony) The Reality Salesman01 1 1504 February 1, 2014 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  The thrill of experience Creed of Heresy 11 2902 February 17, 2013 at 2:32 am
Last Post: Creed of Heresy