Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uganda got rid of the anti-gay law
Uganda got rid of the anti-gay law
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28605400

Quote:Uganda's Constitutional Court has annulled tough anti-gay legislation signed into law in February.

Some good news in the middle of the Palestine V Israel conflict

What the law consisted in:
Quote:Uganda's anti-homosexuality act:
Life imprisonment for gay sex, including oral sex
Life imprisonment for "aggravated homosexuality", including sex with a minor or while HIV-positive
Life imprisonment for living in a same-sex marriage
Seven years for "attempting to commit homosexuality"
Between five and seven years in jail or a $40,700 (£24,500) fine or both for the promotion of homosexuality
Businesses or non-governmental organisations found guilty of the promotion of homosexuality would have their certificates of registration cancelled and directors could face seven years in jail.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

RE: Uganda got rid of the anti-gay law
A small chink of light in otherwise dark days.

Seriously, my middle son asked me recently how likely a third world war is right now and I didn't have the words to comfort him.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

If a third world war happens it's best to just leave the planet, no one is going to respect the international rules about not using nukes
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Unfortunately me might see this again soon. My understanding is that the law was overturned on a technicality and not that the discriminatory practice in and of itself was unconstitutional.

It still sickens me to think of the American Evangelicals' role in this. I think it is something that gets very little attention.
Watch "God Loves Uganda", if you want to see the background of that law. American "missionary" work at its best. Wonderful documentary. It's available on Netflix, and Roku I believe.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
(August 2, 2014 at 10:49 am)Cato Wrote: Unfortunately me might see this again soon. My understanding is that the law was overturned on a technicality and not that the discriminatory practice in and of itself was unconstitutional.

It still sickens me to think of the American Evangelicals' role in this. I think it is something that gets very little attention.

Even here in europe there are rednecks supporting this, saying the court's decision was bad because homosexuality is going to be spread worldwide now and we should prevent it... So much ignorance

Well, I'm not gay. I was raised in a Southern Baptist household in the Appalachian mountains. I was, almost as a default, homophobic all the way though high school age. Then when I went to a large university, I met several gay people who were nothing like the pastors had said they were. Then over a mere couple of years, I went from shocked from the incongruities, to accepting them, to understanding their plight to the point I helped defending them amongst my circles. Now I see them as ordinary equals who must continue to struggle with social obstructions.

Thinking back, I now realize how courageous it was for some of my college friends to come public to me, and I thank them for freeing me from my taught ignorance.

Because all of my homophobia was connected with my religious upbringing, I realize how very important it is that we as educated, well seasoned christian debaters, counter the evangelists as best we can because the evil lies they spread do greatly hurt the world's society.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
The ruling dealt with the lack of a quorum in parliament the day it was passed.

They'll just get all the bigots to show up and do it over.

And the good xtians in the bible belt will cheer..........
(August 2, 2014 at 12:09 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: Watch "God Loves Uganda", if you want to see the background of that law. American "missionary" work at its best. Wonderful documentary. It's available on Netflix, and Roku I believe.

I'll have to watch it. Curious, I went to their website and watched a handful of trailers and clips.

http://www.godlovesuganda.com/film/video/
They eat the poo poo.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MA publishes database of law enforcement disciplinary actions Nanny 0 418 August 22, 2023 at 3:23 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Caroline Farrow got arrested, spending 5 hours in jail. Jehanne 2 662 October 18, 2022 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
Thumbs Up Got H2O? onlinebiker 18 1101 July 23, 2021 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  More from the self intitled white anti maskers. Brian37 57 2755 April 21, 2021 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Break any law if it’s for Jesus Fake Messiah 0 142 March 17, 2021 at 1:27 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Anybody got any Pfizer stock they don't need? Gawdzilla Sama 30 1316 November 12, 2020 at 8:19 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anti-viral clothing on the rise Foxaèr 1 239 August 20, 2020 at 7:53 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
Thumbs Up Whatcha got? onlinebiker 38 2105 March 20, 2020 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  ‘God made our immune systems perfect and healthy’ — Anti-vaxxers in NJ Fake Messiah 13 1191 January 20, 2020 at 9:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  A Question for Anti- vaxxers BrokenQuill92 11 1038 June 26, 2019 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: no one