Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I Racist? (Islam and the Hijab)
Am I Racist? (Islam and the Hijab)
I live in a part of San Diego that has a dense population of middle easterners. Mostly of which, are Chaldean, but many are also Muslim.

A couple years ago a Muslim woman had committed suicide in my city, and that was verified by suicide note. But after further assessment, officials were not 100% convinced that it was a true suicide, but they suspected foul play after discovering that the woman wanted a divorce and was going to leave the man. Which I am assuming is not allowed in the Muslim faith?

Another story, from my community college, one man had slapped her wife in English class because the professor required her to participate my oral speech during class...which I guess is also a big bad no-no...even if it means the difference between a passing or failing grade.

Personally, I love many of the Muslim people. There are even many who are more westernized and do not where the hijab. They have been my classmates and some times fellow debaters on campus who I respect. I often even defend them in the face of real ignorance and racism.

But lately I have grown a very big distaste for the hijab and the husbands and families who require this of their daughters and wives. To me, it looks like a symbol of oppression and male jealousy. I see it as a way to minimize their identity and take away their individuality, and a way to create second class citizens: woman.

I understand those women who wish to wear the hijab, and I respect those who genuinely do. But these women are beautiful women, intelligent women, respectable women and I hate to think that some of these women hate wearing the hijab and wish to not wear it.

I wish I could free those women who do, I wish that the women would stand up for themselves, but I would in no ways want them to if it means a shady-ass suicide would conspire.

The most I could ever wish for them are their education and luckily, many of them take advantage of the education here in SoCal, and good on them for it.

But am I racist or intolerant because I believe the hijab is an obstruction of human liberty?
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Am I Racist? (Islam and the Hijab)
The simple answer is no, I don't think you are a racist for thinking the hijab is an obstruction to human liberty. It usually is an obstruction of human liberty. But occasionally I hear a passionate woman defending it not just for religious reasons but because she wants to be judged independently from her looks. I sympathize, but I think she is just substituting being judged for her hijab for being judged for her face.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(August 3, 2014 at 12:22 am)Quantum1Connect Wrote: But am I racist or intolerant because I believe the hijab is an obstruction of human liberty?
Opinionated, yes (everyone has opinions).

Racist, no (unless you've omitted some details).
Islam is not a race.
(August 3, 2014 at 12:38 am)Cato Wrote: Islam is not a race.

Haha, good point.

discriminatory ****

(August 3, 2014 at 12:34 am)ShaMan Wrote:
(August 3, 2014 at 12:22 am)Quantum1Connect Wrote: But am I racist or intolerant because I believe the hijab is an obstruction of human liberty?
Opinionated, yes (everyone has opinions).

Racist, no (unless you've omitted some details).

Well, you see, this one time...

Haha, just kidding. I've given all details Smile haha
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
As Cato said , it's not a race. It's a stupid religion, about as misogynistic and oppressive as they come.

Disagreeing and objecting to their religiously inspired practices is your right and should actively be encouraged and protected. Religion is just an idea, as are the beliefs that go hand in hand. No beliefs are sacrosanct, least of all ones that claim to affect your life, and the lives of others, in such a dramatic way.

However I'd be cautious about automatically concluding that, for example, the woman's suicide was as a result of the religion. No doubt Islam installs a greater sense of worth within males than it does females, basically because is gives women less rights than cars, but without hard evidence it's probably best something to avoid.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(August 3, 2014 at 12:32 am)Jenny A Wrote: But occasionally I hear a passionate woman defending it not just for religious reasons but because she wants to be judged independently from her looks. I sympathize, but I think she is just substituting being judged for her hijab for being judged for her face.

Yeah, too bad the jihab wasn't conceived with such a noble cause in mind.
8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
Coming from someone who has done his bit for race-mixing (my children are all half Indian) I don't think you are at all racist. I detest the hijab. I applaud the French for banning it in business and public life (ie civil service jobs and courtrooms) and I wish our (UK) government would have the courage to do the same.
It's not immoral to eat meat, abort a fetus or love someone of the same sex...I think that about covers it
You're not racist for reasons everyone's already stated above.

The hijab is not even a religious symbol or requirement within their own damn belief system. It's, as you say, an obstruction of human liberty.

It turns women into objects. Possessions... items... of dirty sex-crazed arrogant, controlling and power-mad men. And that is truly disgusting.

To hide your face is counter-intuitive to society and us interacting and communicating as a whole. We're a social species - we must appear to be as open, as transparent and as honest as possible with one another - we have to be able to identify each other!

We cannot function in the public place unless we know who we are talking to.

Worship (large)

you nailed it.

Don't think like "us"? you are some list of negative adjectives.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do neo marxist professors always wear 50s glasses, isnt it racist? Demi92 14 2820 July 7, 2018 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Joods
  Muslims are using this NASA video as proof that islam is true and that allah exists LetThereBeNoGod 10 3962 February 16, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Why are Atheists afraid to insult Islam and Jews? superAtheistnut 107 16434 April 22, 2015 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut