Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should we rescue endangered languages?
Should we rescue endangered languages?

I recently listened to a webcast about how Alaska has made some of its native languages official state languages, in an effort to promote efforts to conserve languages that are in danger of becoming extinct.

Is there a point to spending money to save a language from becoming extinct?

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
RE: Should we rescue endangered languages?
Good question. I suppose it helps to provide a sense of identity for the people. I'm thinking of Welsh, Gaelic, Basque, Catalan etc.

As long as it's not my money though....
If we thoroughly understood linguistics so well we could create new languages that encompass the unique characteristics of extinct and soon to be extinct languages, then they're not worth saving.

Since the above conditional is false, it stands to reason that attempting to preserve/archive some of the near extinct languages would further assist our understanding of linguistics at a future date.

As with everything, it depends.

I prefer to keep some things rather than lose all of it and then discover it could've been useful or contributed to our knowledge base.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
(August 9, 2014 at 3:36 pm)rasetsu Wrote:

I recently listened to a webcast about how Alaska has made some of its native languages official state languages, in an effort to promote efforts to conserve languages that are in danger of becoming extinct.

It's kind of silly... but then, it's also kind of sad that their languages are almost completely gone.

Depends on the language and how many arts and how much history is behind it.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I'm not sure I get why preserving a language would necessarily teach us any more about linguistics or be beneficial at all.
No. The Welsh language is a f**king burden on our economy and waste of resources.

Scrap it. Reopen the mines. Build wind farms. Tell the cronies of Margaret Thatcher in Westminster to fuck off.

Declare independence from bloody England.

And then. Wake up.

Because you're living a fantasy where you think anything in reality should ever work properly or fair.
English is good enough for God and Jesus, why save any other language ??

Tongue
(August 9, 2014 at 3:57 pm)Welsh cake Wrote: No. The Welsh language is a f**king burden on our economy and waste of resources.

Scrap it. Reopen the mines. Build wind farms. Tell the cronies of Margaret Thatcher in Westminster to fuck off.

Declare independence from bloody England.

And then. Wake up.

Because you're living a fantasy where you think anything in reality should ever work properly or fair.

I agree.

Mines are uneconomic. Wind farms good. Yes, yes!!

Yeah, piss off.

Sleep is better.

Honest words.
Cé nach bhfuil aon rud cearr bunúsach le teangacha a chaomhnú, ní a lán de phointe oiread. Go leor nó an chuid is mó teangacha a bhfuil dóthain litríochta mar a dhéanamh ar iarrachtaí ar leith a chaomhnú moot orthu.

Is í an Ghaeilge ar an mbealach chun bheith ina teanga marbh, ach níl neart scríofa marthain ársa agus lár na hÉireann a chaomhnú cad is gá a bheith.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(August 9, 2014 at 3:36 pm)rasetsu Wrote:

In my opinion yes, it's cultural patrimony, and culture doesn't really have a price even though we attribute it frequently. If the portuguese language was endangered, I'd be happy people spent money to save it, and I'd do the same for any other language.

"A minha pátria é a língua portuguesa"

Of course this depends, if there is only one or two speakers and the language is virtually useless, it should be recorded for others to learn but it doesn't mean we should preserve it.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6918 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Is preserving languages a good thing? FlatAssembler 21 2541 November 4, 2020 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Attempting to rescue hostages Heywood 15 3261 December 6, 2014 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Donut-fucker pig arrests firefighter in the middle of a rescue. Creed of Heresy 11 3948 February 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Tragic Details Emerge on SEAL Team 6's Fatal Rescue Mission Judas BentHer 12 3815 August 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Judas BentHer