Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attempting to rescue hostages
Attempting to rescue hostages
American Luke Somers was killed when Navy Seal's attempted to rescue him.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/06/world/meas...?hpt=hp_t1

Now I applaud the attempt to rescue Somer's who was about to be executed anyways. My question is this. Should we wait until we believe the hostage is about the be killed before attempting rescue or should we attempt rescue when ever the opportunity presents itself.

I'm thinking the moment these terrorist gave the ultimatum that Somer's would be executed if their demands were not met, that they immediately put in place plans to kill Somer's if a rescue attempt was made. These terrorist types are not particularly bright....but they aren't as stupid as Minimalist.
RE: Attempting to rescue hostages
You calling Mini stupid is fucking hilarious
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(December 6, 2014 at 2:30 pm)Losty Wrote: You calling Mini stupid is fucking hilarious

Simplemoss might be a bigger idiot than Minimalist....I haven'd made up my mind on that yet.
It kind of depends on whether they're planing to kill them anyway, and how well they actually treat their POWs. If somehow you manage to get captured by people that will at least treat you like a Human being, you could wait it out until the conflict is over. At least, if the conflict is ever really going to be over.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 6, 2014 at 2:43 pm)Chad32 Wrote: It kind of depends on whether they're planing to kill them anyway, and how well they actually treat their POWs. If somehow you manage to get captured by people that will at least treat you like a Human being, you could wait it out until the conflict is over. At least, if the conflict is ever really going to be over.

If you have reason to believe the hostage will not be killed tomorrow, then you don't need to launch a raid tomorrow. However if you believe the people holding the hostage may very well kill that hostage.....doesn't it make sense to attempt the rescue of that hostage at a time of your choosing instead of waiting until it becomes an absolute imperative?
As harsh as it may seem, it is never, EVER a good idea to attempt to rescue hostages. To do so accords a degree of legitimacy to the hostage takers.

Your shot at Minimalist was asinine and out of place.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Actually I think Jake was starting to get better before going to save Ax. Mostly because Marco convinced Cassie that they had to do an intervention instead of him just keeping an eye on Jake and her doing her level best to forget about the last few years.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

(December 6, 2014 at 2:49 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: As harsh as it may seem, it is never, EVER a good idea to attempt to rescue hostages. To do so accords a degree of legitimacy to the hostage takers.

Boru

I've decided to to make Minimalist the butt of all my jokes. I've decided to make him my metaphor for stupidity....because the role fits him so well. If you do not like it....put me on ignore.
(December 6, 2014 at 2:56 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(December 6, 2014 at 2:49 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: As harsh as it may seem, it is never, EVER a good idea to attempt to rescue hostages. To do so accords a degree of legitimacy to the hostage takers.

Boru

I've decided to to make Minimalist the butt of all my jokes. I've decided to make him my metaphor for stupidity....because the role fits him so well. If you do not like it....put me on ignore.

Nah, shan't ignore you. I likes a good train wreck, I does.

If you want to call Min stupid, that's your business (he isn't, but calling him that is your own call). But common decency would dictate that you do it in those posts in which Min takes part, ideally in response to something specific he said. Matthew 5:22.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 6, 2014 at 2:59 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 6, 2014 at 2:56 pm)Heywood Wrote: I've decided to to make Minimalist the butt of all my jokes. I've decided to make him my metaphor for stupidity....because the role fits him so well. If you do not like it....put me on ignore.

Nah, shan't ignore you. I likes a good train wreck, I does.

If you want to call Min stupid, that's your business (he isn't, but calling him that is your own call). But common decency would dictate that you do it in those posts in which Min takes part, ideally in response to something specific he said.

Boru

You should give Minimalist the same counsel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Should we rescue endangered languages? Angrboda 45 6269 September 6, 2014 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Cato
  Donut-fucker pig arrests firefighter in the middle of a rescue. Creed of Heresy 11 3955 February 7, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Tragic Details Emerge on SEAL Team 6's Fatal Rescue Mission Judas BentHer 12 3820 August 8, 2011 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Judas BentHer