Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Camp Quest UK
Heart 
Camp Quest UK
Hi, I thought that people in this forum (especially the ones with kids) might be interested to hear about Camp Quest UK.

Camp Quest UK are Britain's premier religion-free science and philosophy camp for kids. Our volunteers are dedicated to providing a “godless alternative” for atheists, agnostics and anyone who is bringing up their children in a non-religious household. We want our campers to have a fun, challenging and inspiring time at summer camp, in the company of their peers; without the need for an allegiance to a particular tradition or ideology.

Camp A – Kilve Court, Somerset

The first camp will be held from Monday 26th July to Friday 31st July 2010 at Kilve Court in Somerset. This centre will host a variety of activities, and its close proximity to the beach will mean that the children will have the opportunity to go on a fossil walk. This camp is aimed at those who enjoy walking and nature, or perhaps who suffer from a heavy school schedule and are in need of a break. Campers will be staying in cabins.

Camp B – Caythorpe Court, Lincolnshire

The second camp will be held at a PGL centre, Caythorpe Court in Lincolnshire, from Monday 23rd August to Friday 27th August 2010. Campers will be staying in a Grade II listed manor house, and enjoy access to PGL’s fantastic facilities. This camp would be suitable for those campers who want plenty of activities.

This year our theme is "THE MIND". We have many exciting workshops and activities planned to reflect this and we might even have a talk from a special guest. This will take place alongside our usual critical thinking, crafts, drama and adventure sport activities.

We accept camper applications from anyone anywhere as long as they are between 9 and 16 years of age, capable of looking after themselves and their own possessions (our counsellors supervise the welfare of every camper but we like our campers to take on new responsibilities) and can respect the opinions of others. If you are travelling from far away we can meet your child in London and take them to and from the camp.

We are also trying to raise money to sponsor campers from low-income households.

If you think this sounds like something your kids will enjoy or have a question you'd like to ask, send an e-mail to our camp director:

[email protected]

All the best,
Kyrill
RE: Camp Quest UK
No kids,live in Australia ,and can remember how much I loathed the idea of any kind of camp as a kid. (and still do) Think I'll pass.Thinking
Dito - Sounds terrible Smile
I won't put my kid in some labeling machine. Thank you very much.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
Me too, I hated going to summer camp. Angry
[Image: pPQu8.png]
(January 17, 2010 at 6:15 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: I won't put my kid in some labeling machine. Thank you very much.

What do you mean by labelling machine? The whole point is that there are no labels, it's about critical thinking and independence. In fact your own religious view, Purple Rabbit, sums up what the camp is like. I'm sorry that you all had such traumatic experiences at summer camps. They are a very valuable learning tool for many kids and a lot of fun. I stayed in the Scout movement for 9 years, as did all my friends. Maybe it's different in Australia / America ?
P.S. It wasn't me who posted this in "Religion", it got moved here.
I've moved it back to "Discussion" since that seems more appropriate.

It's a shame that the Camp has been slated as "atheist" when all you are doing is making a secular camp where critical thinking is discussed instead of religion. I'd have loved to have attended such a camp in my youth.
(January 20, 2010 at 4:21 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I've moved it back to "Discussion" since that seems more appropriate.

It's a shame that the Camp has been slated as "atheist" when all you are doing is making a secular camp where critical thinking is discussed instead of religion. I'd have loved to have attended such a camp in my youth.

Thanks Adrian! And yeah, I think you're right, if it wasn't for the wave of media that claimed "Richard Dawkins trains children into atheism" etc, we could have achieved much more. The interesting thing about the camp will be the debates and the neuroscience for kids and astronomy not the lack of religion. And yeah, I would have liked to have been a camper too
First off, I loved going to camps as a kid. They really can be a lot of fun, and even got a long friendship through one of these camps.

However, as I mentioned before when Darwinian posted a video on Camp Quest (the US version I think) there is a thin line between teaching how to think, and what to think. You need to be very careful not to overstep that boundary.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(January 20, 2010 at 5:28 pm)leo-rcc Wrote: First off, I loved going to camps as a kid. They really can be a lot of fun, and even got a long friendship through one of these camps.

However, as I mentioned before when Darwinian posted a video on Camp Quest (the US version I think) there is a thin line between teaching how to think, and what to think. You need to be very careful not to overstep that boundary.

The US camp is very different. Bear in mind that many of the US campers are being bullied for coming from a non-religious household. They go to the camps for support and to build communities and find strong non-religious role models. In most parts of the UK this isn't a problem at all so the camp has a very different focus. But I agree, I listened to an interview with soundclips from one of the US camps and it sounded too preachy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTFNiMhDZ-0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone here seen the documentary Jesus Camp? NuclearEnergy 27 3604 April 9, 2017 at 7:12 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Anyone ever spent time at a bible camp? DeadChannel 21 3366 January 11, 2015 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  jesus camp video - could I ask you a favor? 420 9 3613 January 30, 2010 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet