Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Q. About Rationality and Nature
Q. About Rationality and Nature
Do you think the whole of nature, as in the primeval substance in which it began to exist, can be deemed either rational, irrational, or arational? Is it necessarily unknowable for beings within a sphere of empirical experience? (A. Is any other kind possible? B. Is an empirical experience, as opposed to an imagined one, a prerequisite for any conceptualization or is it vice versa?) In other words, does Reason reign supreme to Sense, or the other way around? Do intelligent beings derive their own rationality from a non-sensuous intelligible source, giving them a means to understand the sensuous, Nature and her laws, which have the appearance of rationality--or is it vice versa--does rationality, and hence the mathematical precision we have developed to intimately understand external objects in our intercourse with the world, find their source only in the spontaneous generation from an arational state, though unlike anything in our range of experience, in that it is unconditionally necessary?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Q. About Rationality and Nature
Nature is neither rational or irrational, just as tacos are neither cosmopolitan nor hungry.

So I'm thinking "c", arational. The concept of rationality doesn't apply to that which simply is.

I think intelligent beings derive their reason from the attempts over the eons to perceive and predict nature accurately. Selection, being a difficult taskmaster, mercilessly winnows those whose minds don't comport with reality.

(August 13, 2014 at 4:59 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Nature is neither rational or irrational, just as tacos are neither cosmopolitan nor hungry.

So I'm thinking "c", arational. The concept of rationality doesn't apply to that which simply is.

I think intelligent beings derive their reason from the attempts over the eons to perceive and predict nature accurately. Selection, being a difficult taskmaster, mercilessly winnows those whose minds don't comport with reality.

So then, nothing can really be said about nature as it is in itself, but only as our minds represent to us, representations which aren't derived by anything at bottom that can be called rational?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(August 13, 2014 at 5:22 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:
(August 13, 2014 at 4:59 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: Nature is neither rational or irrational, just as tacos are neither cosmopolitan nor hungry.

So then, nothing can really be said about nature as it is in itself, but only as our minds represent to us, representations which aren't derived by anything at bottom that can be called rational?

At the risk of sounding solipsistic (which I'm not), our perceptions are the data stream upon which we base our inductions. It is entirely possible that we are right, about nature, for the wrong reasons, in the same way that intuition can give you the right result without any possible explanation of how you got there. We may not be perceiving accurately, but we still may be perceiving accurately enough to get the job done.

As far as your use of rational, I think the difficulty I'm having with it is that it is a personal faculty, being applied to an impersonal phenomenon. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that you perhaps mean "comprehensible"? Correct me if I'm wrong. I certainly think that the Universe is comprehensible, that it follows an internally logical set of behaviors that we humans call "laws".

Sorry if I seem overly pedantic about this.

Also, it should be pointed out that our minds, too, are natural. Where that puts us vis the rationality of nature is a little recursive. It seems the above could well be in error, then.

(August 13, 2014 at 5:48 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: As far as your use of rational, I think the difficulty I'm having with it is that it is a personal faculty, being applied to an impersonal phenomenon. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that you perhaps mean "comprehensible"? Correct me if I'm wrong. I certainly think that the Universe is comprehensible, that it follows an internally logical set of behaviors that we humans call "laws".
This is pretty much where I would go with this.

To use a real world example, some people consider time moving at different rates, within our own universe, to be 'irrational'.
The problem with that is that, either it does or it doesn't. The universe doesn't care what we think is rational, it is what it is and does what it does. If we learn that it's doing something we consider 'irrational', then it is our responsibility to reconsider what we think is 'rational', not the universe's responsibility to adjust what it does.
OP...don't know. I'm not that deep of a thinker.

Let me say if I did have a god, nature would be it.
All I can say upon nearing the completion of Kant's Critique of Pure Reason is that it is by far the best case I have ever read for something as if a Supreme Being--existing necessarily as an ideal by which our sense of systematic unity, as in Ego and Reason (and consequentually, all empirical intuitions) find their basis.

Anyone know of any go-to philosophers who have since held their own against Kant's Critique? Schopenhauer?

(August 13, 2014 at 5:48 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: As far as your use of rational, I think the difficulty I'm having with it is that it is a personal faculty, being applied to an impersonal phenomenon. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that you perhaps mean "comprehensible."
Yes, I suppose that is what I mean, though to clarify, I suppose my question pertains to whether or not it is possible to have an empirical existence, in Time and Space, without a priori pure reason, which seems inextricably interwoven with the most basic categories of existence/non-existence, unity/divisibility, finite/infinite, etc.
I think reason seems inextricably interwoven because that is the faculty we use to process our perceptions. As to whether that is a requirement for physical existence or not, I have no idea.

(August 14, 2014 at 4:21 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:
(August 13, 2014 at 5:48 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: As far as your use of rational, I think the difficulty I'm having with it is that it is a personal faculty, being applied to an impersonal phenomenon. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that you perhaps mean "comprehensible."
Yes, I suppose that is what I mean, though to clarify, I suppose my question pertains to whether or not it is possible to have an empirical existence, in Time and Space, without a priori pure reason, which seems inextricably interwoven with the most basic categories of existence/non-existence, unity/divisibility, finite/infinite, etc.

It isn't the existence of whatever it is that gives rise to our sense data which depends on pure reason, just us.
(August 14, 2014 at 12:15 pm)whateverist Wrote:
(August 14, 2014 at 4:21 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Yes, I suppose that is what I mean, though to clarify, I suppose my question pertains to whether or not it is possible to have an empirical existence, in Time and Space, without a priori pure reason, which seems inextricably interwoven with the most basic categories of existence/non-existence, unity/divisibility, finite/infinite, etc.

It isn't the existence of whatever it is that gives rise to our sense data which depends on pure reason, just us.

Go on... I think I agree but can you spell it out a little more?

Also, as a side, it is kind of remarkable to read what Kant argues as his conception of God on the basis of pure logic and what modern cosmology has dubbed the Singularity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature? ShinyCrystals 18 908 January 8, 2024 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Who or what is "Nature's god" BananaFlambe 26 1826 December 4, 2023 at 5:15 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2878 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Nature comes first Rahn127 69 7293 February 19, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Is it rational to maximize rationality? Whateverist 28 4224 July 11, 2015 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Nature's Laws Freedom4me 307 40977 May 27, 2015 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: comet
  Breathtaking Time-Lapse Videos That Make You Love Nature Mudhammam 3 1927 January 14, 2014 at 9:45 am
Last Post: AtheistUnicorn
  Can Irrational people Be Persuaded with Rationality? Koolay 25 7384 July 7, 2013 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Irrational Nature Of Atheism - An Explanation Of God, Gods And Goddesses The Theist 60 30863 July 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Comments on A Discussion of the "All-Powerful" Nature of Gods" leo-rcc 7 3011 October 9, 2009 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Ryft