Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 2:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Who or what is "Nature's god"
Who or what is "Nature's god"
The declaration of independence specifies some "nature's god" but who or what is this exactly? The homeless in the USA are referred to churches for help, mostly Christian, but the libraries have nothing on "Law of Nature" books. What they have is something like 30-40 christian based books, and a few on atheism available to order from another branch.

So, if in school the pledge of allegiance specifies "under god", and there's no books on the law of nature or natural law, then who/what are they actually promoting to be "under"? And is there even a 'nature's god" to begin with or is this an open ended question?
RE: Who or what is "Nature's god"
https://constitutingamerica.org/90day-dc...ightenment
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
More or less, it’s the god of deism - a god the created everything and steadfastly refused to muck about with it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
And, for the record, “under god” was largely added to the Pledge of Allegiance because of some good old Red Scare virtue signaling, specifically to distinguish themselves from the “godless communists” in Russia and China.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
That's why God gave us John Birch.
Popcorn
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 4, 2023 at 3:21 pm)BananaFlambe Wrote: The declaration of independence specifies some "nature's god" but who or what is this exactly? The homeless in the USA are referred to churches for help, mostly Christian, but the libraries have nothing on "Law of Nature" books. What they have is something like 30-40 christian based books, and a few on atheism available to order from another branch.

So, if in school the pledge of allegiance specifies "under god", and there's no books on the law of nature or natural law, then who/what are they actually promoting to be "under"? And is there even a 'nature's god" to begin with or is this an open ended question?

No idea, not an American.

But in general, could mean:
  • Pantheist God (God = Universe)
  • Mother Nature
  • Metaphorical God
  • God of Nature
  • Laws of nature
  • Natural First Cause
  • Some glorious caretaker of nature
etc.
The writers had to throw 'god' in there. Take a look at who they were trying to sell independence to.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Me.
Dying to live, living to die.
Don't buy, it's a trick.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature? ShinyCrystals 18 909 January 8, 2024 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2888 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Nature comes first Rahn127 69 7295 February 19, 2019 at 11:25 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Nature's Laws Freedom4me 307 41035 May 27, 2015 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: comet
  Q. About Rationality and Nature Mudhammam 21 4004 August 18, 2014 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Breathtaking Time-Lapse Videos That Make You Love Nature Mudhammam 3 1929 January 14, 2014 at 9:45 am
Last Post: AtheistUnicorn
  The Irrational Nature Of Atheism - An Explanation Of God, Gods And Goddesses The Theist 60 30870 July 9, 2012 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Comments on A Discussion of the "All-Powerful" Nature of Gods" leo-rcc 7 3012 October 9, 2009 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Ryft