Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 3:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reaction to extra-terrestial life.
Reaction to extra-terrestial life.
What would you think the world's reaction be if we did discover other life? Also, would there be any reason for it to be covered up? (Bored at work, random ass thought)
[Image: grumpy-cat-and-jesus-meme-died-for-sins.jpg]

I would be a televangelist....but I have too much of a soul.
RE: Reaction to extra-terrestial life.
The god nuts would deny it with their dying breath.
(August 18, 2014 at 11:50 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: What would you think the world's reaction be if we did discover other life? Also, would there be any reason for it to be covered up? (Bored at work, random ass thought)

Ass thoughts are my favorite thoughts~

I guess it would depend on the person. I'd imagine a lot of evangelicals and other hard Bible followers would deny it, since Earth is the premier creation doncha know. Personally I'd just be skeptical as hell, but I'd think it was pretty cool. I don't see any reason they'd want to cover it up besides the whole "it will send people into a frenzy" thing...but we have so much shit already going with the Earth (climate change, genocide, disease epidemics, economic peril, etc) that I don't think saying "oh hey here are some lifeforms from another planet" would be that crazy of a thing.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(August 18, 2014 at 11:50 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: What would you think the world's reaction be if we did discover other life?
True to form, in our ignorance, we Humans would try to kill it.
(August 18, 2014 at 11:50 am)bladevalant546 Wrote: What would you think the world's reaction be if we did discover other life? Also, would there be any reason for it to be covered up? (Bored at work, random ass thought)

USA - 'We knew they were here all along!'

UK - 'Bloody asylum seekers'

France - 'Hmm, wonder what they taste like?'

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
It would depend what it was. Bugs etc would be strictly quarantined to prevent infection. Intelligent life would be a different matter, and would probably be covered up - if it could be - to prevent mass panic. Alternatively we'd end up being annhiliated so it wouldn't matter.
(August 18, 2014 at 11:54 am)ShaMan Wrote: True to form, in our ignorance, we Humans would try to kill it.
Cmon, could they really blame us for trying? Maybe, once that's out of the way (assuming that we both survived the attempt) we could get on to more productive interactions. It's not necessarily ignorance that leads us to do that, btw. It's been an -exceedingly- successful survival strategy thusfar. As a creature whose existence largely depends upon knowing, the "unknown" does present a credible and compelling threat.

Hell, for all we know, this behavior is precisely why some alien species might come a-knocking. Maybe they've got a "job" they need done, they just want to know if we'd be interested...lol.

(I know...I know...different situation....I just couldn't help it, if we found microbes or simple life...anything "non-threatening", we hand out nobels and bottles of champagne. Cmon....we're human beings, not goblins. Why do we imagine that we wouldn;t treat them and their environment like some et serengeti, where the do-gooding humans "protect" the local flaura and fauna?)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I think the reaction would depend on the kind of life.... simple bacteria or laser wielding high tech beings who want to eat us and steal our women
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(August 18, 2014 at 11:57 am)Diablo Wrote: Alternatively we'd end up being annhiliated so it wouldn't matter.
We don't need any help with this. We have it well in hand.
I wonder if the Aliens would bring their religion to Earth.