Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quote on the shame/pride angle of Christianity
A quote on the shame/pride angle of Christianity
I read a quote or heard it on YouTube that was far more eloquent than I can put it here, and I wonder if anyone has heard it. I would like to see/hear it again.
It's probably one of the four horsemen, Harris, Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennett. I've been learning from that group lately. It goes something like this:

They teach children that they are sinful and worthless and shameful to abase them. Then they counter it with "God loves you so much that he made the universe for you." "You are the most important of all creation, and you will be lifted out of all of your filth if you......"

It's marketing. Tell people rain is coming and sell ponchos. Who knows which author or debater best describes this particular con?

Many thanks
RE: A quote on the shame/pride angle of Christianity
(September 3, 2014 at 10:51 pm)Emcelhannon Wrote: I read a quote or heard it on YouTube that was far more eloquent than I can put it here, and I wonder if anyone has heard it. I would like to see/hear it again.
It's probably one of the four horsemen, Harris, Hitchens, Dawkins, Dennett. I've been learning from that group lately. It goes something like this:

They teach children that they are sinful and worthless and shameful to abase them. Then they counter it with "God loves you so much that he made the universe for you." "You are the most important of all creation, and you will be lifted out of all of your filth if you......"

It's marketing. Tell people rain is coming and sell ponchos. Who knows which author or debater best describes this particular con?

Many thanks

Sounds familiar.

Suspect it's Christopher Hitchens.
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 3, 2014 at 10:52 pm)Beccs Wrote:
(September 3, 2014 at 10:51 pm)Emcelhannon Wrote: I read a quote or heard it on YouTube that was far more eloquent than I can put it here, and I wonder if anyone has heard it. I would like to see/hear it again.

Many thanks

Sounds familiar.

Suspect it's Christopher Hitchens.

You can see then why I want his words. He had a way with getting to a point and leaving no room for misinterpretation.
This?

[Image: hitchens%2Bquote-arrogance.jpg]
Dying to live, living to die.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pride - the worst sin according to C.S.Lewis Duty 72 7361 February 25, 2023 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Make up your own atheistic quote Transcended Dimensions 56 9684 October 30, 2017 at 9:04 am
Last Post: brewer
  Great quote from Carl Sagan. Jehanne 0 1018 December 30, 2015 at 9:13 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Ultimate Angle Of Atheism LivingNumbers6.626 2 1073 January 8, 2015 at 9:39 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A powerful quote Gooders1002 9 2869 January 30, 2013 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Confused Ape
  Excellent quote about atheism Phil 9 5295 March 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Voltair