Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:25 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Nostalgic Games?
Best Nostalgic Games?
Two of my favorite PC games from when I was a kid were:

[Image: logoAoK.gif]

and

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

And now through PaultheTall.com I've been able to install Wineskin wrappers and no-CD patches that make it so I can keep my CDs as museum pieces or sell them and play these games on my Mac whenever I want. Big Grin

AoE II was my first experience with real-time strategy games, followed later by the incomparable Rise of Nations series, and for a history nerd like me those games were the best ever! All I've played again so far almost a decade later is the tutorial (the Scottish voice actor is annoying yet hilarious!), but despite the dated graphics the game is still really good all these years later. The only thing left unless I want to create maps against the computer like I used to is the campaign, but I look forward to playing it through again!

I also really liked tycoon games like Zoo Tycoon as a kid, but for me even the Dinosaur Digs expansion pack felt pretty boring after a while. But then my parents got Jurassic Park Operation Genesis, which was perfect because I was obsessed with Jurassic Park! Again, I've only played through SOME of the tutorial exercises (they can get quite involved and feel a little tedious with all the clicking you have to do, and the game overall is HARD with all the objectives you have to juggle). I'm excited to go back and finally beat the missions, then create one park that will do well, one park where I'll just let the dinosaurs run amok, and one peaceful area in the Site B section!

What are your favorite games of old? Do you still play them? I'd love to hear from you. Smile

P.S.: I'm thinking of selling my old, really scratched but still working JPOG CD-ROM. Any takers can PM me.
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
RE: Best Nostalgic Games?
For me it is the original UT. It was on all the school computers, so we could play it whenever we wanted. Much better and a lot more fun than modern FPSs.

Another nostalgic game is Medieval: Total War. It's what got me into Grand Strategy games, and got me more interested in history.

Other than that, there's the first game I got for a console, Simpsons: Hit and Run. That game was great!
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien

(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(September 5, 2014 at 7:59 pm)Tobie Wrote: For me it is the original UT. It was on all the school computers, so we could play it whenever we wanted. Much better and a lot more fun than modern FPSs.

Another nostalgic game is Medieval: Total War. It's what got me into Grand Strategy games, and got me more interested in history.

Other than that, there's the first game I got for a console, Simpsons: Hit and Run. That game was great!

How did you get THAT on a school computer?! XD

One time, a daring kid brought the Halo Blood Gulch demo on a flash drive and everybody in the computer lab was playing nothing but that. I was thinking of get in on that, but then all of them were suspended!

Except for me. Angel Cloud

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.
(September 5, 2014 at 8:00 pm)StealthySkeptic Wrote:
(September 5, 2014 at 7:59 pm)Tobie Wrote: For me it is the original UT. It was on all the school computers, so we could play it whenever we wanted. Much better and a lot more fun than modern FPSs.

How did you get THAT on a school computer?! XD

One time, a daring kid brought the Halo Blood Gulch demo on a flash drive and everybody in the computer lab was playing nothing but that. I was thinking of get in on that, but then all of them were suspended!

I think one of the IT teachers got a licence for it somehow. At one point we also had AoE II aswell.
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
SO MUCH Final fantasy. zomg I should play it right now!
(September 5, 2014 at 8:02 pm)Tobie Wrote:
(September 5, 2014 at 8:00 pm)StealthySkeptic Wrote: How did you get THAT on a school computer?! XD

I think one of the IT teachers got a licence for it somehow. At one point we also had AoE II aswell.

I never got to play AoE II in multiplayer. How was it?

I got more interested in history through AoE and RoN as well. The only Total War I played was Rome, but it wouldn't run on my sad Inspiron 6000 from 2006 and I had a sad, then I lost the discs. I also got Europa Universalis but again, it wouldn't run.

Somehow I forgot the game that pretty much everyone played growing up; Pokemon. What can be more nostalgic than that?

Stealthy Wrote:I never got to play AoE II in multiplayer. How was it?

I got more interested in history through AoE and RoN as well. The only Total War I played was Rome, but it wouldn't run on my sad Inspiron 6000 from 2006 and I had a sad, then I lost the discs. I also got Europa Universalis but again, it wouldn't run.

It was good fun, although everyone used cheats.

Rome Total War was great, made CA much more popular. It is probably the best game they ever made Tongue

Europa Universalis is amazing, probably my favourite grand strategy game. Currently dominating central/east Europe as Prussia Tongue
(September 5, 2014 at 7:59 pm)Tobie Wrote: For me it is the original UT.

I still hold that as the ultimate team FPS. Graphics bedamned, it just doesn't get more fun than that.

Headshot!
(September 5, 2014 at 8:04 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(September 5, 2014 at 7:59 pm)Tobie Wrote: For me it is the original UT.

I still hold that as the ultimate team FPS. Graphics bedamned, it just doesn't get more fun than that.

Headshot!

Are you excited for the upcoming Unreal Tournament free to play game?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upcoming games you want to play Foxaèr 13 2021 October 6, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  What are your top 5 video games of all time? T0 Th3 M4X 80 8343 May 22, 2022 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: emjay
  I sucked at video games. Brian37 16 2952 July 18, 2021 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The issue with Match-3 games Foxaèr 4 440 August 15, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stream Switch games without a capture card. Mechaghostman2 0 376 November 24, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Any sci-fi open world games? Mechaghostman2 9 1875 September 27, 2018 at 11:48 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Games still to be released in 2018 Foxaèr 9 1148 June 2, 2018 at 12:32 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Of new homes and video games. Brian37 7 1148 May 25, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  No evidence to support link between violent video games and behavior Gawdzilla Sama 12 1796 January 21, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Anybody here have any favorite Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games? ƵenKlassen 7 1218 November 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Cecelia