Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any sci-fi open world games?
Any sci-fi open world games?
Are there any games that exist that basically combine Star Wars with Grand Theft Auto?

I know there are open world sci-fi games like Fallout, and you could even make an argument that Spore is open world in some places... at the beginning and when doing quests. However, most sci-fi games that I've seen, while they may have big maps, have rather linear gameplay. Whether it's Metroid or the various Duke Nukem rip-offs, or even KOTOR, none of them truly give me what I'm looking for. There was something close to it several years ago called Scrapland, but you couldn't just get out and walk around the surface, only in some buildings could you do that. The flying parts were even to some extent limiting in comparison to what you can do in say GTA SA or GTA 5. I do recall a GTA clone where an alien traps the president in a dream world, and there's weird alien hover bikes that you can steal, but that's the extent of it, and I don't even remember the name of it, lol. 

So does anyone have a game that fits what I'm looking for?
RE: Any sci-fi open world games?
You better save money for DLC "Real life: Life after Death".
(September 26, 2018 at 4:11 am)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: I do recall a GTA clone where an alien traps the president in a dream world, and there's weird alien hover bikes that you can steal, but that's the extent of it, and I don't even remember the name of it, lol. 

That's the opening of Saints Row IV.

[Image: 17884630a149611071462ea94499b0a57ee54882...c0f12d.jpg]

Also, as far as I know, what you are looking for just doesn't exist. That, or you're not sure what you want, or how to describe it. A Grand Theft Auto clone with a sci-fi setting? I don't know of one. A sci-fi game with non-linear progression? Plenty of those. They're called Immersive Sims, and a lot of them are sci-fi, most notably the entire Deus Ex series and the recently released Prey.

Fallout? Open world RPG's set in the post-apocalypse of retro futurism. Red Faction: Guerrilla? Very early (read: small) open world action game set on a terraformed future Mars. Prototype? An open world action game set in the present amidst the backdrop of a sci-fi thriller mystery. Shadowrun: Dragonfall? Semi-nonlinear turn based RPG set among the cyberpunk backdrop of the Shadowrun world. Horizon: Zero Dawn? An open world action/survival game, set in a unique sci-fi world where living machines are an integral part of the ecosystem. Mass Effect? Excellent trilogy of action RPG's with a compelling story that builds one after the other, even if it didn't quite stick the landing; still a modern classic. Warframe? A free-to-play action RPG shooter that focuses more on Diablo-esque loot grind and power fantasy than anything else, but easily has the most unique sci-fi acetic in gaming. Destiny? Kinda like Warframe, but more shit.

Really, your best bet would be to just wait for CD Projekt to finish and release their Cyberpunk: 2077. But the game, as of yet, doesn't have a hard release date.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
"Red Faction: Guerrilla" was the first thing that came to my mind, even though it's a way grittier kind of sci-fi, than Star Wars. That game's environment destruction system was so much fun. I would love it if more games had the same approach.

Another old open-world game series - "Destroy All Humans". A parody of alien invasion movies from the 50's. Pretty funny, though rather shallow and by today's standards - antiquated.

Then there are space exploration games, like "Elite Dangerous" and "No Man's Sky", which are undoubtedly sci-fi, as well as quite ostentatiously open-world and non-linear. They're not really similar to GTA in any way, though - at least "Elite" isn't, as I haven't played "No Man's Sky".

There's also "Starbound" - kind of a "Terraria" (or "2D Minecraft") clone, but with a sci-fi twist and an overarching story.

I hear "Mass Effect: Andromeda" has some open-world elements, but I haven't played it, so I don't know what that means.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw

Might I suggest “Destroy All Humans!”? This is an older game, and in no way is it serious or even technically “open world” but it’s a lot of fun and so was it’s sequel.
(September 26, 2018 at 4:11 am)Mechaghostman2 Wrote: Are there any games that exist that basically combine Star Wars with Grand Theft Auto?

I know there are open world sci-fi games like Fallout, and you could even make an argument that Spore is open world in some places... at the beginning and when doing quests. However, most sci-fi games that I've seen, while they may have big maps, have rather linear gameplay. Whether it's Metroid or the various Duke Nukem rip-offs, or even KOTOR, none of them truly give me what I'm looking for. There was something close to it several years ago called Scrapland, but you couldn't just get out and walk around the surface, only in some buildings could you do that. The flying parts were even to some extent limiting in comparison to what you can do in say GTA SA or GTA 5. I do recall a GTA clone where an alien traps the president in a dream world, and there's weird alien hover bikes that you can steal, but that's the extent of it, and I don't even remember the name of it, lol. 

So does anyone have a game that fits what I'm looking for?

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I absolutely love X3.

You can pick up missions, build your ship, act as a pirate taking over ships to get money, and so on.  You can teleport all over a truly huge universe looking for fights, looking for sweet trades. It's COMPLETELY open, and you can travel wherever you want picking missions, building your fleet, and deciding when to take on the enemy hordes.

AND you can build your own space factories by connecting satellites to create valuable products to trade.

I just searched it in Youtube and found there was some kind of new Beta this year. I have a bit of a hard-on right now, just saying. Big Grin
The Jak and Daxter series is sorta sci fi open world-ish platforming/shooting/driving stuff.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
Space Engineers.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Look into Elex. I've heard good things about it, though it's not AAA and a little rough around the edges
(December 4, 2015 at 10:40 am)Dex Wrote:
(December 3, 2015 at 5:28 pm)DerFish Wrote: A termite wanks into a bar

╭( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╮
 /\(██)/\
 /\(██)/\
 /\(██)/\
----(█)

Defiance 2050?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Upcoming games you want to play Foxaèr 13 2022 October 6, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  What are your top 5 video games of all time? T0 Th3 M4X 80 8356 May 22, 2022 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: emjay
  I sucked at video games. Brian37 16 2956 July 18, 2021 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The issue with Match-3 games Foxaèr 4 443 August 15, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Stream Switch games without a capture card. Mechaghostman2 0 376 November 24, 2019 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Games still to be released in 2018 Foxaèr 9 1152 June 2, 2018 at 12:32 am
Last Post: KevinM1
  Of new homes and video games. Brian37 7 1151 May 25, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  No evidence to support link between violent video games and behavior Gawdzilla Sama 12 1804 January 21, 2018 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: paulpablo
  Anybody here have any favorite Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games? ƵenKlassen 7 1220 November 18, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Does anyone here have any favorite SNES games? ƵenKlassen 18 2614 November 18, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: Cecelia