Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 5:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Would You Do On Foot in Victoria BC?
What Would You Do On Foot in Victoria BC?
We are headed out on a twentieth anniversary trip in a couple weeks to Seattle Washington (is there another Seattle?) and Victoria, BC. We're going by train as far as Seattle and then ferrying it to Victoria. We'll have just a couple days in each city. We won't rent a car either place. This is strictly a mass transit and foot powered expedition.

Anyone have any cool suggestions for things to do beyond the obvious Pikes Place Market, Art Museums, Space Needle, Aquariums, Butchart Gardens, and High Tea at the Empress Hotel?
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
RE: What Would You Do On Foot in Victoria BC?
When I was a kid the family took the ferry from Port Townsend to Victoria. Unfortunately, the tide was roaring through the Strait of Juan de Fuca and mom and dad had a miserable passage.

When we got to Victoria, I don't recall too much other than mom wanting to shop downtown, and that was fun. As for Seattle, don't forget the monorail, it's fun. As I recall, we also took the ferry from Seattle to Vashon Island and back, and that was FUN, the ship wasn't pitching and heaving.

(I grew up in landlocked Iowa, anything on the water was a novel experience!)
I haven't been to Seattle since 1991. I do have an uncle and aunt there, but they are so busy. Good people, but we've lost touch. One of these days I'll fly up for a Sounders match, and maybe get dinner with them. I don't remember anything in particular I liked. Just the general vibe. Honestly, I love the whole PNW (Seattle, Spokane, Medford, Klamath Falls, Boise).

Another aunt and uncle moved from Seattle to Vancouver, BC. They're busy, too, and I've never been up to BC, so I have nothing to say on Victoria, but I love the pics I've seen. I've only ever been to Calgary, AB, which I liked as well.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Victoria is awesome. I've traveled through there when on my way to diving trips. Definitely sample the cuisine - much of it is European-inspired and quite excellent. I wish I could remember the name of this most excellent Italian place.

Be nice to the border guards at the ferry terminal. They have no sense of humor.
(September 5, 2014 at 9:50 pm)Jenny A Wrote: We are headed out on a twentieth anniversary trip in a couple weeks to Seattle Washington (is there another Seattle?) and Victoria, BC. We're going by train as far as Seattle and then ferrying it to Victoria. We'll have just a couple days in each city. We won't rent a car either place. This is strictly a mass transit and foot powered expedition.

Anyone have any cool suggestions for things to do beyond the obvious Pikes Place Market, Art Museums, Space Needle, Aquariums, Butchart Gardens, and High Tea at the Empress Hotel?

I used to live in Seattle and currently am in B.C. Pretty sure you can get out to Mt. Rainier and Snoqualmie falls via bus. What sort of stuff are you into?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(September 5, 2014 at 11:46 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I used to live in Seattle and currently am in B.C. Pretty sure you can get out to Mt. Rainier and Snoqualmie falls via bus. What sort of stuff are you into?
Mt. Rainier we've done recently. We're just 40 minutes south of Portland and we do a fair amount of hiking in Washington, Oregon and Idaho, but this is a city trip.

I'm into art and food and he tags along. We're both into science and history. He likes flight and space particularly, I don't mind going along. We like bazaar type shopping in a limited way, but neither of us shop for entertainment much. We aren't much for night life either one of us.

Is Victoria's China Town still worth a visit? I haven't been to Victoria in 20 years.

(September 5, 2014 at 11:33 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Victoria is awesome. I've traveled through there when on my way to diving trips. Definitely sample the cuisine - much of it is European-inspired and quite excellent. I wish I could remember the name of this most excellent Italian place.

Be nice to the border guards at the ferry terminal. They have no sense of humor.

Boarder guards have their sense of humor surgically removed. It's part of their training--that a complex kind of stupidity.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(September 5, 2014 at 9:50 pm)Jenny A Wrote: We are headed out on a twentieth anniversary trip in a couple weeks to Seattle Washington (is there another Seattle?) and Victoria, BC. We're going by train as far as Seattle and then ferrying it to Victoria. We'll have just a couple days in each city. We won't rent a car either place. This is strictly a mass transit and foot powered expedition.

We really enjoyed an anthropology museum in Vancouver. It has been more than 25 years so my memory is hazy.

If you had a car and 2 or 3 extra days I'd recommend Hot Springs Cove, but you'd have to drive to the Northwest side of Vancouver island to the end of the road at Tofino. Then get on a native american 'ferry' (motorboat is more than generous as a description) and go an hour further north until you come to this Provincial park. Divine for a natural hot springs which flow over a nine foot falls before weaving its way through pools which become tide pool right in the ocean.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Would you still cook if you diddn't have to? Angrboda 41 2174 October 30, 2023 at 3:40 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Where would you go if you could? Brian37 24 2029 August 18, 2021 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Who would you rely on to help you out? Cod 18 1329 January 8, 2019 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  What would you do if you woke up one day to find you were the last person alive? Edwardo Piet 64 16350 October 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: c172
  What would you do if you could remember every single moment in your life? c172 11 2466 October 13, 2017 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What would you do if you found out I didn't exist? Edwardo Piet 4 806 October 7, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
Question Do you think someone would pay you for sex? Losty 184 14935 May 17, 2016 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: AkiraTheViking
  If you could remove your need for sleep, would you? Ashground 31 3801 November 12, 2015 at 6:08 am
Last Post: Reforged
  How would you react to a gay person who found you TOTALLY repulsive ? vorlon13 294 27063 September 30, 2015 at 7:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Would you be flattered if a gay person said they fancied you? emjay 131 16625 September 28, 2015 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Whateverist