Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence of plate tectonics on Europa
Evidence of plate tectonics on Europa
NASA finds what appears to be signs of ongoing subduction in the morphology of the surfaces of Europa. In order for old plates to be subducted somewhere on a planet or moon, new plates must be manufactured somewhere else. The newly manufactured plates must then migrate horizontally to the location of subduction.

Therefore this is prima facia evidence of on-going plate tectonics on the Jovian moon of Europa.

Plate tectonics is thought by many biologists to be vital to providing a stable and hospitable environment for life on earth. The type of plate tectonics on Europa involves water ice rather than hard rock. It is not clear if plate tectonics of ice is truly analogous to plate tectonics of rocks in terms of providing hospitality for our kind of life.

But plate tectonics of ice does strongly suggest a great deal of heat is coming up through the salt water ocean underneath the ice to power the whole thing. This in turn suggest the rocky part of Europa under the water ocean is also geologically active and experience subsurface volcanism. This is a better sign for the possibility of earth like biochemistry.

Europa plate tectonics
RE: Evidence of plate tectonics on Europa
ALL THESE WORLDS
ARE YOURS EXCEPT
EUROPA
ATTEMPT NO
LANDING THERE
Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you?

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen *anything* to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. 'Cause no mystical energy field controls *my* destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evidence for ET? Jehanne 83 6904 November 25, 2018 at 9:38 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Earliest evidence of life on Earth 'found' Minimalist 6 1756 March 1, 2017 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New evidence points toward Ninth Planet in the solar system Heat 57 10138 January 24, 2016 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  The CMB and the 'Axis of Evil' - evidence of God? Angrboda 12 4045 March 6, 2015 at 8:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Evidence of how our Moon formed... found? Welsh cake 16 5134 July 6, 2014 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Evidence of cosmic inflation expands understanding of universe’s origins tor 3 1478 March 22, 2014 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Breaking News: Evidence for gravitational waves in the CMB! Alex K 8 3051 March 19, 2014 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: *Deidre*
  More evidence for WIMPs theVOID 0 1071 May 4, 2011 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: theVOID