Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:30 am

Poll: AF needs a bit of thread topic moderation?
This poll is closed.
Yes
75.00%
9 75.00%
No
25.00%
3 25.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where the hell was that thread?
Where the hell was that thread?
Part of the charm (if you can call it that) of AF is no thread is safe. Every thread gets derailed into a totally different discussion. Funny stuff.

However I can't be the only one that loses threads. Post or ask a question in one, a day or two later curious to see if you were answered or responded to and don't know which topic it could have been under. Poke through every 'new posts' thread? Naw, I'm too lazy for that.

Or want to get into the discussion on Waco? That's in the video game thread.

Conspiracy theories? I forget... maybe under the 'Jokes' thread or maybe in the 'Does God exist' thread.

Even if it is a 'charming' aspect of this site, may I request a bit more thread moderation? Reminders here and there to stay on topic or suggestions to start new threads for new discussion topics? Possibly even moving posts to more appropriate topic threads?

Just a suggestion.

What prompted this post is a discussion started about John Paul's alleged de-conversion. I posted my thoughts and asked a couple questions but for the life of me I cannot find that damned thread.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
RE: Where the hell was that thread?
I agree completely. However, the input and help of the regular members would be appreciated. If you come across a thread that isn't in an appropriate forum, or think a thread should be split up, please use the report feature (on the first post of the thread) and state your reasons.

We get alerted to every report, and we do act on them Wink
Your Jon Paul question is here Dotard: http://atheistforums.org/thread-2709-pos...l#pid49867

Personally I'm disappointed at your not so god like abilities Tongue
Don't you understand fr0d0? Dotard is omniscient, but he was testing our faith!
Ah ...oops!?
Yes. Kinda like with Adam and Eve. I knew they were there but I had to ask 'where are you?'

But thanks anyway Frodo. Thank you Adrian for pointing out that feature. I just figured you went through that trouble of rearranging threads and telling us what topics they are for.

I was thinking it all was for naught the way nothing stays on topic anyways. I thought that report button was just for reporting evil posts with racist or insulting or over the top cursing etc.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
Poll: AF needs a bit of thread topic moderation?

Forgive me about the language ambiguity... :S I agree to an extent... but i don't feel there should be any sort of heavy hand regarding this... so i agree that there should be a bit of topic moderation.... but that there shouldn't be any heavy handed law regarding it :S
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I think moderators should moderate when it is really needed and leave everything alone the rest of the time; AF is a colorful place partially because of the randomness of the environment. To damage that would be most counterproductive.
Part of the reason we reorganized was to keep things a little more on-topic. It's hard though, to read every thread and evaluate it for it's "On-topicness". We do our best, but reporting helps us even more. Even with a group of us, things can be missed.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
well, my experience says that where ever a forum has thread moderators doing this there is no natural progression, the conversations are narrowed down and complaints are numerous. What next? Do we calm down the tone of our language and refrain from personal comments?
I actually like AF for the open and free flowing conversation.
So what I've only been here for a couple of hundred posts, Adrian's a moderator and I've steered off topic course with him several times. I've also started several threads of side arguments for discussing with him to avoid a never ending thread.
The only problem I can see in taking on too many tangents in a particular thread is that a person might just bail and there's little you can say because at the end of the day you're probably so far off coarse that the thread might as well been titled "endless debate".
Coming soon: Banner image-link to new anti-islam forum.