Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LHC starting up again
LHC starting up again
Finally, after two years of upgrades, and a glitch two weeks ago which was just fixed, the LHC is running again. It is now hopefully equipped and ready to handle collision energies of 13 TeV as opposed to 8 TeV as before. If all goes according to plan, we should see actual collisions at maximum energy in two months or so!

http://op-webtools.web.cern.ch/op-webtoo...p?usr=LHC1

[Image: lhc1.png?0.29505518498445493]
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: LHC starting up again
I saw this on NPR and thought I'd ask you about it.

What exactly is happening in the two months before the beams get to full speed? Is it testing the whole time or does it take that long to get the beams up to speed?
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
This is great news! I heard they want to look for "parallel universes" now too. And if they do, that will cause all sorts of problems for religious people. But religionists will make excuses - like they always do, in order to try and dismiss that which they don't like. Good know some people don't simply sit back and say their favoruite deity did it!

(April 5, 2015 at 11:48 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: And if they do, that will cause all sorts of problems for religious people. But religionists will make excuses - like they always do, in order to try and dismiss that which they don't like. Good know some people don't simply sit back and say their favoruite deity did it!

It'll be just like 'evilution.' They'll bend over backwards to poke holes in it. But it'll be easier because even less people will understand what the fuck they're talking about.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Here's hoping they find some more things that piss off creatards.
(April 5, 2015 at 10:58 am)SteelCurtain Wrote: I saw this on NPR and thought I'd ask you about it.

What exactly is happening in the two months before the beams get to full speed? Is it testing the whole time or does it take that long to get the beams up to speed?

Nope, just testing - getting the beams up to speed is a matter of minutes (I'll have to check). They have to dump the beams and make new ones all the time during regular operation because the beams lose brightness and focus over time. If you look at the chart above you'll notice this red saw-like line. That's the luminosity of the beam - you notice it slowly going down and then getting dumped and restarted many times.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(April 5, 2015 at 12:14 pm)Alex K Wrote: Nope, just testing - getting the beams up to speed is a matter of minutes or hours (I'll have to check). They have to dump the beams and make new ones all the time during regular operation because the beams lose brightness and focus over time.

It makes me a little bit giddy that I can just ask you questions about the LHC. You rock!

Aww shucks.

No, I meant: "That's just what I do..."

p.s. here's an estimate of the LHC beam lifetimes

http://www.lhc-closer.es/1/4/17/0

(April 5, 2015 at 11:48 am)MrNoMorePropaganda Wrote: This is great news! I heard they want to look for "parallel universes" now too. And if they do, that will cause all sorts of problems for religious people. But religionists will make excuses - like they always do, in order to try and dismiss that which they don't like. Good know some people don't simply sit back and say their favoruite deity did it!

As much as I would like that, claims that we are looking for parallel universes at the LHC sound like hype. Extra dimensions, sure.

Awesome. It is the most sophisticated piece of machinery ever built. It is not only from the particle physics that we learn, but the effort to build and use the machine already has given great side effect technical advances.
Woot! Woot!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LHC rainbow universe dyresand 9 1900 October 22, 2017 at 9:32 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  First collisions at the LHC with unprecedented Energy! (Ask a particle physisicist) Alex K 385 56218 August 8, 2016 at 5:03 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Alleged Weasel heroically sacrifices himself to stop LHC Alex K 18 1646 May 6, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  LHC Weasel defense - play the exciting browser game Alex K 2 1070 May 4, 2016 at 10:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  LHC News - New particle found dyresand 0 975 July 14, 2015 at 6:03 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Will the LHC find the 'God' Particle? CoxRox 11 4814 August 3, 2012 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  First lead-lead collisions at the LHC theVOID 11 2447 November 9, 2010 at 7:33 am
Last Post: leo-rcc
  LHC Darwinian 14 6539 April 7, 2009 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Demonaura