Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how can we believe anything??
how can we believe anything??
i been thinking how can we believe anything?? for example space - everything we know about space we got from a book, the internet, tv, etc - everything we know about space is what the system wants us to know.

I was looking at the sky with my telescope last night, but been wondering what if everything I can see is only what they want me to see? What if the sky is just a glass and the things we see are just projected in our petri dish world?

Just lately nothing seems real to me anymore, I mean how can i even prove that I exist?? and im not trying to promote any conspiracy theories just been thinking about this a lot but for example, even with conspiracy theories, they didn't just come out of thin air. People say "oh I get my news from more credible sources so I can see whats really happening in the world" - but ever wonder what if those "credible sources" are just a balance placed in to keep people in motion?

I just don't feel safe at all almost as if I am just going to disappear any second, and I am okay with that because I don't like this world or this life, but it it still scary.
RE: how can we believe anything??
Tough to fake the night sky with painted glass when even the libration of the moon is easily noticeable in just a few days.
(September 12, 2014 at 11:34 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Tough to fake the night sky with painted glass when even the libration of the moon is easily noticeable in just a few days.

I used to the word glass metaphorically, but I can tell you're not gonna understand anyways.
(September 12, 2014 at 11:28 am)Jextin Wrote: i been thinking how can we believe anything?? for example space - everything we know about space we got from a book, the internet, tv, etc - everything we know about space is what the system wants us to know.
Nope.
Everything we know about space we got by going into space.
(September 12, 2014 at 11:37 am)LostLocke Wrote:
(September 12, 2014 at 11:28 am)Jextin Wrote: i been thinking how can we believe anything?? for example space - everything we know about space we got from a book, the internet, tv, etc - everything we know about space is what the system wants us to know.
Nope.

exactly! but not us as individuals. The majority of people on this planet have never been to space - but we still believe the photos and videos we are shown to be real.
[Image: Doctor+Who+Gif+Dump+_53458e_5256258.gif]
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
I guess no ones gonna understand I guess close the threads mods. You guys say you are free thinkers but you all still have your own norms - I guess I wont fit in anywhere besides a coffin after I end it all.
(September 12, 2014 at 11:39 am)Jextin Wrote:
(September 12, 2014 at 11:37 am)LostLocke Wrote: Nope.

exactly! but not us as individuals. The majority of people on this planet have never been to space - but we still believe the photos and videos we are shown to be real.
There are lots of things you can look at in space directly, which conform to what we know about them by going there.

You can shine a laser at the moon and have it reflect black to you, and use that to calculate the distance, speed, etc of the moon. Which would be absolutely impossible had we not gone to the moon and put the mirrors there in the first place.
(September 12, 2014 at 11:28 am)Jextin Wrote: Just lately nothing seems real to me anymore, I mean how can i even prove that I exist?? I just don't feel safe at all almost as if I am just going to disappear any second, and I am okay with that because I don't like this world or this life, but it it still scary.

And what practical difference has this made in your life besides motivating you to create this hopelessly solipsistic post?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
Waaahhhh!!!!!!!

"I don't have an answer to the problem of hard solipsism, and it makes me sad. And you guys don't understand."

"Again, I say, waaahhhh".

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Response to Darkmatter2525 ""Why Does Anything Matter?" Eik0932 23 2838 September 26, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Is anything sacred? (Extra credit for specifying what it is for you.) Whateverist 55 6968 November 17, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  do you worry about if anything bad would happen if christianity died? Rextos 26 5028 February 13, 2016 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Ivan Denisovich
  Do atheists like Atheist Roo have anything useful to offer the Atheist community? IanHulett 21 7303 January 1, 2016 at 10:33 am
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  What is the point of anything? Nell 42 8390 February 13, 2015 at 12:31 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Does the Bible mention anything swarthy people? strawdawg 56 15599 November 30, 2014 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Losty
  What The Hell Do People Believe In If They Don't Believe In God? MountainsWinAgain 36 8805 May 30, 2014 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Rampant.A.I.
  How atheists can still believe in God? Foxaèr 9 2860 May 9, 2014 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: Ben Davis
  Why does anything at all exist? tor 44 9411 March 20, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: Hezekiah
  Can an Atheist know anything? orangebox21 64 17679 December 27, 2013 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: jesus0.5