Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Being a Lying Atheist
Being a Lying Atheist
I had never thought I was lying or hiding my true belief. I never knew that truly I truly believed in supertstion, that deep down I believe in racism, misogyny, and murder. I'm glad I have family members and acquaintances who know the real truth. I'm glad I have people in my life who know the cognitive processes of God and consequently mine as well.

"Most people who leave the church know that the church is really true, they just can't hang with the standards" they all assert as I, an atheist, stays quiet.

I contemplate lashing out, and then I contemplate a more civil process of refutation. Perhaps even a line of questioning. Perhaps an offer that would allow them to question me?

But I stay quiet this time. I stay quiet because I rather enjoy the next hour of company than storm out after 30 minutes of religious nonsense. I stay quiet because I was loud before, and assertive before, but it pays no satisfaction.

Are they speaking like this because they know I am here? Are they being passive aggressive and intentionally arrogant? Do they not care to remember my reasons for leaving? Do they care to ask again? Do they care to ask me about people that I know that have left church? Do they care to approach these people themselves?

The level of mind control is amazing. A reasonable person would consider the questions and then pursue the answers. But not in the case of certain fundamental believers. They may go as far as to ask questions, but they assume the answers, rather than seeking free inquiry.

Why must they do this? Have I not explained it countless times? Have I been made to look idiotic in my silence? Is is worth it to speak up? Is it worth the loneliness and judgement caused my those so close in relation?

It doesn't really matter, the loneliness and judgement continues in silence as well as in open conversation.

So I sat there quietly, as those inside the room soaked in there own incurable ignorance.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Being a Lying Atheist
Ummm.....?
[Image: Billy-D_Approves.gif]
RE: Being a Lying Atheist
I don't see the need to jump in a debate with each and every religious person I come across, THAT would be a waste of time. Religion has a good philosophical side to it which in many cases is actually helpful, and at times I have defended these moral values. However I'll try and talk sense into my friends and family members if I see that they are going to face a problem due to their beliefs. My approach is never to refute their beliefs, rather I always try to come out as if I wish to learn more about their beliefs and in turn make them question themselves.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35408 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Is being an atheist important to you? EgoDeath 63 6823 February 27, 2019 at 7:01 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Lying for God purplepurpose 63 6657 October 17, 2018 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  What is your reason for being an atheist? dimitrios10 43 8647 June 6, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  The only human being to have won 2 unshared Nobel Prizes was an atheist. Jehanne 29 6638 March 14, 2018 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  I was almost caught being an atheist Der/die AtheistIn 31 7904 December 13, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: Der/die AtheistIn
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7043 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  The Nice Thing About Being An Atheist JackRussell 83 27698 July 21, 2017 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  Being atheist in the Bible Belt MyelinSheath 37 8934 January 23, 2017 at 5:01 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Being a sinner just for being born mlmooney89 110 15539 June 14, 2016 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger