Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Post count requirement for starting a thread.
Post count requirement for starting a thread.
I know that some sites require you to make a number of posts or be a member for a month before you are allowed to start a thread. It would be a good way to cut down on the amount of trolling and spam that we get. This would basically mean that you have to participate at least a little in the forum before coming in and just spamming us with trollish garbage.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Post count requirement for starting a thread.
I used to join forums to drop the link to my old mybrute.com to get challengers. It worked well enough, but angered many.
(September 20, 2014 at 1:30 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I know that some sites require you to make a number of posts or be a member for a month before you are allowed to start a thread. It would be a good way to cut down on the amount of trolling and spam that we get. This would basically mean that you have to participate at least a little in the forum before coming in and just spamming us with trollish garbage.

I think this has come up before, but I don't recall the resolution offhand. FWIW, there is a plugin that will allow us to do this. I personally think it's an idea worth discussing, with the proviso that the Introductions forum remain open to start new threads - as it is an informal custom to post an introduction, and I think that's worth encouraging.

I do have a feeling that if we did this, it would shift the spamming to existing threads.
(September 20, 2014 at 2:56 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I do have a feeling that if we did this, it would shift the spamming to existing threads.

This. It's not like spammers actually care about the rules to begin with, and frankly it's easier to spot them when their threads are laid out so openly. We don't have to dig through pages of posts to expunge them when they present the root of the problem right there on the "Today's Posts," page.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Nice idea at face value. Deleting/unapproving threads is less work than mopping up infected ones.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
What if you created a sub forum for spam?
It's not just spam, I mean we pretty much always have someone who comes on here and the only thing they do is make 5 threads a day with no real interest in actually participating in the forum or community. If there was a post count requirement then you'd be pretty much required to participate in the community. Which I think is a good thing also it would clear up all the trolls and what really is the downside to it unless it is a technically difficult thing to do?
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(September 20, 2014 at 11:38 pm)Drich Wrote: What if you created a sub forum for spam?

You'd be a permanent resident.
(September 20, 2014 at 11:38 pm)Drich Wrote: What if you created a sub forum for spam?

It would only give the spammers one more place to dump their shit. Are you volunteering to clear it all from the rest of the forum and move it into there?

See, it would be nice if spammers played by the rules. Then we wouldn't need to deal with it at all.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
[thread]
[Image: tumblr_m51pu9IEYc1qzm5y8o14_r1_250.gif][/thread]

Angel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does this already exist? If not, count it as a suggestion Reltzik 26 2984 October 3, 2018 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Joods
  Question regarding post count Joods 38 5209 September 4, 2017 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Starting Threads with Links rexbeccarox 17 3595 October 6, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet