Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 1:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Again, Too Damn Close To The Truth
Again, Too Damn Close To The Truth
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-...MzM3Mjk4S0

Quote:Largest Climate-Change March in History Unlikely to Convince Idiots

Quote:Klugian said he was confident that, despite the impressive numbers for Sunday’s march, idiots would prevail in the ongoing climate-change debate. “At the end of the day, there are more people like us in Congress,” he said.
RE: Again, Too Damn Close To The Truth
And still nary a peep on the decline of the alkalinity of seawater, a FAR greater problem.

We're boned.
The decline and fall of America is a bit of a puzzle, somehow idiocy became the New Thing. People are proud of being idiots, vote idiots into office, and scoff at those who are not idiots. Even those in power who are probably not idiots (there must be a couple) pander to those who are in order to stay in office.

I laughed at the comment from Hollywood Fl. We are currently at a dock just a few miles from there. More than half the time part of the dock is under water at high tide. One can be sure they were not originally designed to be underwater several hours a day for days at a time, but sea level rise took care of that.

Personally, I don't think a country can recover after it has sunk this far into total stupidity. Some parts of the world will head off into the future leaving the US and the Middle East behind to wallow in fundamentalism and anti-intellectualism. Eventually a failed US will break up, just as is happening in the Middle East now. That is probably a few decades in the future yet, so I will no be around to see it. But I just don't see how any nation can endure that is as bat-shit crazy as this one.
Quote:Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.
Benito Mussolini
I agree with new guy. America's not a first world country as we are made to believe. America is not, #1. As we are made to believe. America will never survive the fundies, unfortunately.
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
(September 22, 2014 at 12:03 am)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Democracy is beautiful in theory; in practice it is a fallacy.
Benito Mussolini

Then again, in America stupid people are going to the voting booth and electing exactly what they deserve. So maybe democracy is just a really hard thing to do, taking the best efforts of an informed and aware citizenry. Americans are simply not up to the challenge. Or perhaps democracy is less a fallacy and more a seriously flawed system prone to failure.

Then again, maybe any and every country eventually falls to simple corruption and influence peddling; regardless of the type of government it is. The USSR collapsed from it. China is desperately trying to get it under control. The Middle East is rife with it and, as a result, slides every further into chaos. And here in the US the Supreme Court decided that corruption is a right protected by the Constitution.

Regardless, we are done as a first world society on the leading edge of human history.
It's unlikely that the dock is underwater due to sea level rise. Very little in Florida has existed long enough to experience that (aside from St. Augustine, obvs). 100 years at the current rates would only give us 3.9 inches - and if that dock was less than 3.9 inches over the water when it was built then even the pansy florida waves would have come over it from the very moment of it's construction.

It's more likely that it has a poorly built foundation (or the sands have shifted from under the pylons) and the owners don;t feel like putting the cash down to float it. Which could be said about the entirety of the state, of course.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 22, 2014 at 1:00 am)Luckie Wrote: America will never survive the fundies, unfortunately.

I disagree.

(September 22, 2014 at 7:24 am)Rhythm Wrote: It's unlikely that the dock is underwater due to sea level rise. Very little in Florida has existed long enough to experience that (aside from St. Augustine, obvs). 100 years at the current rates would only give us 3.9 inches - and if that dock was less than 3.9 inches over the water when it was built then even the pansy florida waves would have come over it from the very moment of it's construction.

It's more likely that it has a poorly built foundation (or the sands have shifted from under the pylons) and the owners don;t feel like putting the cash down to float it. Which could be said about the entirety of the state, of course.

Well, if the docks are sinking they are going straight down, level, and are taking the parking lot along without cracking anything. And the docks all up and down the New River (so far as I have noticed) are sinking at the same rate. You may be right though, I know the sea level rise is a phenomena that stretches out over decades. Yet, for the near 3 months we have been here, nearly every high tide covers the docks. Even those who have been around here for a long time are talking about.

We will be moving along soon, so it is more a curiosity to me than anything else. After 40 years of flying and now living on the water, the climate change deniers are just a mystery to me.
Yup, foundation issues if it's going all the way to the pavement (and evenly). They didn't dredge and anchor, they just carpeted the area. Common all over the state. Your first clue should have been that this is occurring at a steady rate on many of the observed structures -on the river- which is likely undercutting all of the civil works along either bank as well -over time. Tell those motherfuckers to properly float their shit with the fees you pay them - and stop cluttering up Floridas waterways with garbage!

-preferably as you walk out the door...lol, of course....

(those poorly built docks eventually give way causing damage not only to property, but also to the habitats thaty they dredge as they laze their way downstream - eventually ending up out in the deltas where they clutter shit up. They might redeem themselves at the end by becoming reef but because it happens so often - things smashing into the pile..., and because the materials are often exceedingly toxic, they just become a snag that kills the fish and rips your engine off the back of your boat...and I think it;s important not to allow misattribution to get in the way of seeing these docks and the people who build them for who they are and what they're doing -which, unlike global warming, is something that just one single individual can absolutely put an end to by not being such a douche in order to save a dime)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm too sexy for my shirt. Brian37 12 623 February 27, 2021 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  This SNL skit is just too perfect Apollo 6 619 December 16, 2020 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Prager U The Truth (Parodies) The Architect Of Fate 1 317 January 2, 2020 at 10:34 am
Last Post: Sal
  You Know You've Been on AF Too Long When.... FatAndFaithless 52 6660 January 31, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  "Don't Bring Me Down, TRUTH" Brian37 2 648 January 24, 2018 at 6:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Truth time: Yes. Women really are sexualized in our society. But why? ErGingerbreadMandude 27 3025 January 25, 2017 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Superheroes are ordinary people too. ignoramus 13 2090 June 19, 2016 at 7:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla
  You know you've been on the forum too long when... robvalue 191 16359 April 12, 2016 at 2:43 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Too True to be Funny Minimalist 0 904 April 7, 2014 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Truth about Fiction Cinjin 1 714 November 23, 2013 at 6:09 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone