Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's advocate..
Devil's advocate..
Ok, show me the light here if you will....

We have the human rights legislation, and we apply it liberally.

But say we were the Islamic state and we sanctioned a human rights act (admittedly much different), but islam as a political solution does also promote peace and loyalty. So where and how is the western version more... right?
RE: Devil's advocate..
(September 25, 2014 at 5:01 pm)lifesagift Wrote: islam as a political solution does also promote peace and loyalty.

What. Where did you get that idea.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Like, say, this?

http://www.newser.com/story/196384/isis-...-post.html

Quote:The United Nations says Islamic State militants have publicly killed a rights lawyer in the Iraqi city of Mosul after finding her guilty of apostasy in a self-styled Islamic court. The UN Assistance Mission in Iraq says Samira Salih al-Nuaimi was seized from her home on Sept. 17 after allegedly posting messages on Facebook that were critical of the militants' destruction of places of worship in Mosul. According to the UN mission, al-Nuaimi was tried in a so-called "Sharia court" for apostasy, after which she was tortured for five days before the militants sentenced her to "public execution."

Fuck 'em. And allah.
(September 25, 2014 at 5:02 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote:
(September 25, 2014 at 5:01 pm)lifesagift Wrote: islam as a political solution does also promote peace and loyalty.

What. Where did you get that idea.

Oh come on, it's more than a religion, and there are many peaceful surahs
(September 25, 2014 at 5:01 pm)lifesagift Wrote: but islam as a political solution does also promote peace and loyalty

It does? And what does it say about "human rights" exactly? especially when considering women? And if you're talking about cherry picking the moral bits, then who decides what to include or exclude?

As for it's benefits, well it would pretty much be the same as if you get all your moralities from the bible....

And lastly, our "western version" can be changed with time when needed, words written in religious books don't allow that flexibility.
(September 25, 2014 at 5:06 pm)lifesagift Wrote:
(September 25, 2014 at 5:02 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: What. Where did you get that idea.

Oh come on, it's more than a religion, and there are many peaceful surahs

Are..are you serious? Using Islam as a guide for laws is how you end up with Saudi Arabia.
- Thomas Jefferson
Ok, let's stop right there !

Quoting atrocities as proof is not a proof.. There are billions of muslims that don't want heinous crimes committing in their name.

I'm on your side guys, I'm an atheist and want so much for the world to wake up to the facts and be peaceful.
But my point is more the mundane, if muslims want to make law that chops hands off for theft, are they wrong? we have the death penalty.. I suppose I'm looking for qualifiers.. why are we right and them wrong?
Quote:There are billions of muslims that don't want heinous crimes committing in their name.

But they stand by and watch.
(September 25, 2014 at 5:12 pm)lifesagift Wrote: But my point is more the mundane, if muslims want to make law that chops hands off for theft, are they wrong? we have the death penalty.. I suppose I'm looking for qualifiers.. why are we right and them wrong?
Because a death-penalty is still more humane than chopping off hands and crippling someone for the rest of their lives.
Are you genuinely putting forward the moral relativistic position or are just looking for ways to counter it?
- Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Deal With the Devil rexbeccarox 11 1553 April 13, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: chimp3
  That Devil-Spawned Edumacation will Minimalist 11 2705 September 10, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
Wink Play the Devil's Advocate Brometheus 22 2947 March 30, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Brometheus
Lightbulb The Devil aka. Satan God Is Not Gr8 14 5027 February 25, 2014 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: professor
  Entertaining video: beyonce the devil worshiper. Ziploc Surprise 0 1409 March 7, 2013 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Devil's Advocate IATIA 16 4140 November 25, 2011 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Devil is in the Vatican Welsh cake 11 5153 March 23, 2010 at 9:52 am
Last Post: RedFish