Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play the Devil's Advocate
Wink 
Play the Devil's Advocate
I thought this might be interesting. If you were in a debate class, and had to try to prove the existence of a super-powerful, creator deity, what would you consider the strongest argument on its behalf?

I'm not asking for an argument you personally believe in - but the one you feel, of all those available, is the least weak. For some, myself included, they may be strongest because I haven't got enough knowledge on the subject yet.

For myself, I'd side with Antony Flew and say the anthropic principle. You?

Humor me.
RE: Play the Devil's Advocate
I'd probably say that the presence of information implies an intelligent designer. I would hate to have to defend that position though.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Well....that is tough considering... he created everything slowly over time said it was good enough and pretty much doesn't care.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Well, I guess I might go the route that something must be self-sufficient and that the universe is intelligible, so by weak induction we are justified in believing that a self-sufficient being that subsumes a supervening principle of intelligence must be the most basic entity of all, and furthermore, that it pervades all of time and space. (My deity would be inextricably connected to the cosmos).
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
My best bet would be a word-salad I guess. Combined with some baseless assertions and random testimonies would buy me some time. Otherwise I'd just have to bang on the point that science hasn't "disproven" god yet, and hope my opponents give up before losing sanity.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I would most likely build a cumulative case. I would start with an argument for mind-body dualism to show mind without matter isn't a crazy idea, move to the contingency version of the cosmological argument, and finish off my case with the fine-tuning argument to give support to the "First Cause" being a mind. This aims to defend generic theism because Christian theism is an internally inconsistent mess; that is, I would have to come up with so many far fetched just-so stories to explain away contradictions in the Bible on soteriology alone. 
It is very important not to mistake hemlock for parsley, but to believe or not believe in God is not important at all. - Denis Diderot

We are the United States of Amnesia, we learn nothing because we remember nothing. - Gore Vidal
(March 30, 2015 at 12:56 am)AFTT47 Wrote: I'd probably say that the presence of information implies an intelligent designer. I would hate to have to defend that position though.

Stephen Meyer uses this as the premise of his argument in Signature in the Cell. He insists that information cannot self-create or compile on its own. However, considering that DNA exists, he'd have to prove the impossibility of it. However, I do wonder how the first strands of DNA decided that their information was important enough to pass along... I should read more about biology. My parents kept biology books from us kids - and I'm more of a physics guy... but, must read some biology. Recommendations anybody for a book which would explain the origin of DNA and cellular reproduction?

(March 30, 2015 at 2:09 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: ... random testimonies would buy me some time...
Testify!
I think I would go with fine tuning. It's still hopelessly flawed, but it comes nearest to sounding convincing in my opinion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Ahem...

But what if you're wrong?!?!??!?!?!!1!

/theist
I think I'd go with an argument from incredulity, and follow that with ray comfort's banana argument.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Deal With the Devil rexbeccarox 11 1553 April 13, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Let's play Pascals wager expanded edition dyresand 4 1960 September 24, 2015 at 6:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  That Devil-Spawned Edumacation will Minimalist 11 2706 September 10, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Devil's advocate.. lifesagift 60 8951 October 2, 2014 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
Lightbulb The Devil aka. Satan God Is Not Gr8 14 5032 February 25, 2014 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: professor
  Prospect: god wants me to play for Seattle Tonus 4 1266 February 24, 2014 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Entertaining video: beyonce the devil worshiper. Ziploc Surprise 0 1411 March 7, 2013 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Devil's Advocate IATIA 16 4140 November 25, 2011 at 6:32 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Devil is in the Vatican Welsh cake 11 5153 March 23, 2010 at 9:52 am
Last Post: RedFish