Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 11:17 pm

Poll: Who wants to play?
This poll is closed.
Theist
25.00%
2 25.00%
Atheist
75.00%
6 75.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devil's Advocate
Devil's Advocate
I thought it might be interesting to have a discussion on the existence of god, but the atheists defend that position and the theists attempt to disprove that position. It would give some insight into each others position.

I am sure the atheists will have no issue with this, so the real question is, are there any theists willing to take up the challenge?
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Devil's Advocate
Hell of an interesting premise, a la the old school oratoria and declamatio.
Trying to update my sig ...
I guess the theists are afraid they might win the debate.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
Well, I'm a good debater as an atheist, perhaps a good debater as a pretend theist?
Maybe...
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(November 24, 2011 at 7:35 pm)Ace Otana Wrote: Well, I'm a good debater as an atheist, perhaps a good debater as a pretend theist?
Maybe...

You could not be any worse than our big three.
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
I don't think I could make the opposite argument with a straight face.
THUD - Terry Pratchett
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
I legitimately would struggle with this. I mean, I could trot out apologetics but I think my argument would quickly descend into parody.
I could play the theist, altough I couldn't keep a straight face while doing it Big Grin
(November 25, 2011 at 4:42 am)ElDinero Wrote: I legitimately would struggle with this. I mean, I could trot out apologetics but I think my argument would quickly descend into parody.

I'm not convinced that Godschild is not a parody.
You are currently experiencing a lucky and very brief window of awareness, sandwiched in between two periods of timeless and utter nothingness. So why not make the most of it, and stop wasting your life away trying to convince other people that there is something else? The reality is obvious.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Deal With the Devil rexbeccarox 11 1550 April 13, 2017 at 5:29 am
Last Post: chimp3
  That Devil-Spawned Edumacation will Minimalist 11 2704 September 10, 2015 at 6:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
Wink Play the Devil's Advocate Brometheus 22 2923 March 30, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Brometheus
  Devil's advocate.. lifesagift 60 8796 October 2, 2014 at 11:28 pm
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
Lightbulb The Devil aka. Satan God Is Not Gr8 14 5019 February 25, 2014 at 10:48 pm
Last Post: professor
  Entertaining video: beyonce the devil worshiper. Ziploc Surprise 0 1408 March 7, 2013 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: Ziploc Surprise
  Devil is in the Vatican Welsh cake 11 5148 March 23, 2010 at 9:52 am
Last Post: RedFish