Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islamic stereotypes
Islamic stereotypes
I came across this vid on FB. It's a direct rebuke to some of the more casual stereotypes of muslims that are being perpetuated by certain parts of the media. It features responses to some comments made by Bill Maher but it equally addresses general media spin.

I think Reza Aslan makes a good point regarding the overuse of Syrian/Iranian/Saudi theocracies as representative of all Islamic states but fails to address the acceptance of such forms of rule by other, less autocratic islamic states and by muslims in other, non-islamic nations.

Thoughts?
Sum ergo sum
RE: Islamic stereotypes
Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pjxPR36qFU

My quick impression of Reza:
A - while it's true that not all Muslim countries are the same, nonetheless he looks at Muslim countries through rose-coloured glasses.
B - he thinks that Islamic ideology/doctrine is irrelevant/indefinable/nebulous/malleable (which is utter nonsense; doctrine is the DNA of religion, and Islamic doctrine has some very clear themes based on the violent example of Mohammed).
C - therefore Reza is a lunatic.
(October 2, 2014 at 8:51 am)Ben Davis Wrote: I came across this vid on FB. It's a direct rebuke to some of the more casual stereotypes of muslims that are being perpetuated by certain parts of the media. It features responses to some comments made by Bill Maher but it equally addresses general media spin.

I think Reza Aslan makes a good point regarding the overuse of Syrian/Iranian/Saudi theocracies as representative of all Islamic states but fails to address the acceptance of such forms of rule by other, less autocratic islamic states and by muslims in other, non-islamic nations.

Thoughts?

He says that there are many Islamic countries with no problems of sexual discrimination which effect women, and lists Indonesia and malyasia as countries which don't have these problems.
Which is fine but a look in wikipedia into human rights in indonesia you see the exact same problems that this man said was just an african problem.
Indonesia suffers with problems of genital mutilation and early marriages.

Also in this same country you can get inprisoned for insulting any of the major religions of the country.
Which hasn't stopped Muslims attacking churches across the country.

Just a short glance into these type of problems in malaysia and it already mentions problems with domestic violence being complicated due to sharia stating that women should always obey their husbands.
Also stating men are favored in inheritance cases and other family sharia matters.

So to me straight away when he says that these countries don't have sexual discrimination problems due to Islam, his argument seems to rest on hoping that he can talk fast enough on this TV show and get through it before anyone researches the actual problems these countries do have due to Islam.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Does the Islam religion involve following a book called "Quran"?
Does that have similar shit as OT?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 2, 2014 at 9:29 am)paulpablo Wrote: His argument seems to rest on hoping that he can talk fast enough on this TV show and get through it before anyone researches the actual problems these countries do have due to Islam.

ROFLOL

I'm sure it doesn't help that in many of the Islamic paradises they reduce a woman's ability to claim rape.

Her legal testimony is reduced to half that of a man, 4 witnesses are needed and if she can't prove rape she is convicted for sex outside of marriage.

A penalty can be avoided if she marries her rapist.......... couldn't make this up.

In the UK some 1/4 of our mosques were caught on T.V. willing to break the age of consent, we have 66,000 cases of FGM with another 4,000 predicted to be at immediate risk. For this I believe there has been a some total of 0 prosecutions.

I didn't realise you had Islamic apologists on this site playing the victim card for Muslims.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Islamic serial killer, murderer Anti.Enslave 8 133 April 23, 2024 at 7:55 am
Last Post: Anti.Enslave
  How do Islamic theologians study the Bible in countries where Hebrew is illegal? FlatAssembler 10 1010 August 12, 2023 at 12:04 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Rainbow Invite the people of the world to attack the Islamic religion Eclectic 9 1268 December 14, 2022 at 11:40 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why "Jihad" martyrdom is important in Islamic faith? AniKoferBo 13 1435 January 6, 2022 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Islamic prophet's foreknowledge of the Terfeziaceae's health benefits R00tKiT 29 2713 July 4, 2021 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  When was Sunni Islamic hadiths first translated to English Sweden83 1 584 December 4, 2020 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Sudan ends 30 years of Islamic Law Foxaèr 34 6027 September 9, 2020 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Sal
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7853 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Females are less intelligent than men according to authentic Sunni islamic hadith Binki21 9 1333 November 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Refuting the book "Islamic government" (series of lectures of Khomeini) Mystic 17 3043 October 21, 2018 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: chimp3