Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on torrent sites
Thoughts on torrent sites
Like the pirate bay ?

Is it stealing to use the site for stuff you would otherwise have to pay for ?

Simple answer is yes, obviously.

But what people are stealing isn't tangible, should that matter. Is policing such things more a kin to chasing thought criminals, the stuff they are downloading is nothing but information.
RE: Thoughts on torrent sites
I think downloading is not illegal or at least shouldn't be... uploading is, and that's a built in feature.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 2, 2014 at 6:59 pm)ForumMember77 Wrote: Simple answer is yes, obviously.

No it's not stealing. The original copy is still intact and in the hands of the owner. Would you say creating a copy of someone's car is stealing if they still have the original car?

[Image: wpid-tumblr_l9z3t8oCbJ1qzl2uzo1_500.jpg]
(October 2, 2014 at 7:12 pm)Napoléon Wrote:
(October 2, 2014 at 6:59 pm)ForumMember77 Wrote: Simple answer is yes, obviously.

No it's not stealing. The original copy is still intact and in the hands of the owner. Would you say creating a copy of someone's car is stealing if they still have the original car?

[Image: wpid-tumblr_l9z3t8oCbJ1qzl2uzo1_500.jpg]

I was thinking from a legal standpoint, not my actual opinion. The previous poster says it's not though ?
While I agree with the premise, Napo, I think you've oversimplified things.

If I spend x number of hours programming a game, say, and I put it up for sale on a site like Amazon, say, and Joe Schmo comes and buys it, but puts it up on Pirate Bay, and Joe Blow comes and downloads the tracker, that person is not stealing the game exactly, but he is stealing the profits from me, as he would have had to pay for my game were it not for the torrent service.

If I make a product, put it up for sale, and someone takes it without paying for it, I think that's stealing, no matter how big a company I work for.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Quote: that person is not stealing the game exactly, but he is stealing the profits from me,

Only if I would have bought it in the first place. Otherwise there is no net loss.

I grew up at a time when reel to reel tape recorders were commonplace and everyone made recordings of songs that were broadcast on the radio.
Is that "piracy?"
My Canadian friend told me that they charge more for CD's and such because they expect you to digitally copy it so they in a sense, get a portion of the revenue normally lost by 'pirating'.
"Yes, I am a Free Lover. I have an inalienable, constitutional and natural right to love whom I may, to love as long or as short a period as I can; to change that love every day if I please, and with that right neither you nor any law you can frame have any right to interfere. And I have the further right to demand a free and unrestricted exercise of that right, and it is your duty not only to accord it, but as a community, to see I am protected in it. I trust that I am fully understood, for I mean just that, and nothing else."
— Victoria Woodhull, “And the truth shall make you free,” a speech on the principles of social freedom, 1871
(October 2, 2014 at 8:31 pm)Keri Wrote: My Canadian friend told me that they charge more for CD's and such because they expect you to digitally copy it so they in a sense, get a portion of the revenue normally lost by 'pirating'.

Yep, there's a tax on recordable media in Canuckistan for that very purpose.
I find it hard to believe that anyone would pay for what passes as "music" these days....and the movies generally suck, too.

Probably just me being an old fart.
(October 2, 2014 at 7:33 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: While I agree with the premise, Napo, I think you've oversimplified things.
I
If I spend x number of hours programming a game, say, and I put it up for sale on a site like Amazon, say, and Joe Schmo comes and buys it, but puts it up on Pirate Bay, and Joe Blow comes and downloads the tracker, that person is not stealing the game exactly, but he is stealing the profits from me, as he would have had to pay for my game were it not for the torrent service.

If I make a product, put it up for sale, and someone takes it without paying for it, I think that's stealing, no matter how big a company I work for.

Yeah they are stealing profits you never had because they never bought it. Also games that are pirated actually sell much better
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Thoughts Foxaèr 10976 250162 3 hours ago
Last Post: brewer
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 2036 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Your thoughts on the validity of this? ignoramus 12 1876 April 12, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 622 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2154 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  What are your thoughts on R Kelly? rkellysucks 12 2118 July 13, 2019 at 5:36 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thoughts and not prayers. Gawdzilla Sama 52 5430 January 30, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 1896 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Thoughts on NDE's. purplepurpose 8 1101 November 9, 2018 at 3:34 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1141 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda