Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 8:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can atheists get elected to office?
Can atheists get elected to office?
http://www.wausaudailyherald.com/story/o.../16646491/
RE: Can atheists get elected to office?
I kind of get the feeling that this "problem" is the kind that fixes itself, Brain Sleepy

The answer is... yes.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(October 6, 2014 at 6:41 am)Alice Wrote: I kind of get the feeling that this "problem" is the kind that fixes itself, Brain Sleepy

The answer is... yes.

I get the feeling that you don't recognize the problem.

The answer is... it's problematic.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(October 6, 2014 at 7:12 am)Chas Wrote: I get the feeling that you don't recognize the problem.

Old people stuck in their ways, and people who haven't declared themselves unaffiliated from religion? The first will die out within two generations, the last will not be guided by the first in two generations.

The only way this does not "solve" itself is if we take a particular and sudden shift to the dystopian and/or fascism, and somehow return to alienation of noncaucasian peoples (and russians, of course).

I don't perceive it as a problem that needs to be addressed, as it will be addressed naturally when politicians are aware that the masses are more inclined to trust secular judgement in its internal affairs than the guidance of 'God'. It's only relevant in the short term... and there is little that isn't very drastic (re: dystopian) that can possibly change that in the short term.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Poll after poll after poll tells politicians the same thing: there isn't anything they can identify as that would be less popular than atheist. Open atheists can get elected, but it doesn't seem to happen all that often. But even that varies from region to region. In California or New York, an atheist would stand a much better chance than they would down here in Texas. Atheists also poll better in urban areas than in rural areas.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
(October 6, 2014 at 7:12 am)Chas Wrote:
(October 6, 2014 at 6:41 am)Alice Wrote: I kind of get the feeling that this "problem" is the kind that fixes itself, Brain Sleepy

The answer is... yes.

I get the feeling that you don't recognize the problem.

AND? It is not our baggage that believers hold.
Of course, in local areas atheists could get elected in some regions. However, in higher offices it would take 79 to 100 years before this occurs.
Oh sure, atheists can be elected to major public office .. just not here in the US.
Rep. Pete Stark (D. CA) and Rep. Barney Frank were both atheists. Neither is currently in office. Rep. Kyrsten Sinema (D. AZ) is almost certainly an atheist.

And I'll eat my hat if Senator Tammy Baldwin (D. WI) isn't an atheist.

There are very likely more in the closet.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
Open and notorious adulterers are considered viable presidential candidates in the conservative party (Giuliani and Gingrich). Serial polygamists are respected and adored by almost all stripes of conservatives (McCain, Limbaugh, Dole, etal).

So what's the problem with atheists ??

Hell, Reagan's wife was consorting with an actual honest to God witch, even to the extent the witch had veto power over the presidential schedule, and the religiousites had nary a peep of concern, let alone protest over the practice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Can you sew? Can you save a life? Gawdzilla Sama 30 2583 April 5, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Sargon of Akkad running for office robvalue 31 2551 April 21, 2019 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  I Wonder When The Bar Will Get Low Enough For The Deplorables to Get In? Minimalist 12 1260 May 17, 2018 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  FBI raids Cohens office brewer 50 5474 April 10, 2018 at 7:28 pm
Last Post: A Theist
  Angela Merkel elected to fourth term as chancellor of Germany c172 3 739 March 14, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Certainly True Now That The WLB Is In Office Minimalist 2 688 April 18, 2017 at 8:33 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Asshole GOP wants to gut ethics office. Brian37 29 3287 January 5, 2017 at 7:28 am
Last Post: Tonus
  NC GOP campaign office set on fire. Brian37 25 3374 October 17, 2016 at 5:24 pm
  Just When I Think People Can't Get Any More Stupid Minimalist 19 3465 October 16, 2015 at 5:43 pm
  Where being an atheist can get you murdered Brian37 2 750 May 23, 2015 at 8:56 pm
Last Post: rexbeccarox