Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:33 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thinking of College....In Germany
Thinking of College....In Germany
SO I'm thinking about attending college in Germany, and since lots of you are European, I thought I should ask, is there anything I should know?
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
RE: Thinking of College....In Germany
They speak German Big Grin
(October 10, 2014 at 6:51 pm)DramaQueen Wrote: They speak German Big Grin

Have you submitted your name to the Nobel committee? I mean given your eminent brilliance.
Signifying nothing.
Yeah, it's George Bush
(October 10, 2014 at 7:11 pm)DramaQueen Wrote: Yeah, it's George Bush

[Image: picard_rikerWTF.jpg]
I am from sere.

So, what subject should it be, at what stage in your education are you, and have you thought about a specific city?

Most "colleges" in Germany are usually research univerities as there isn't really anything like american two or four year colleges. There are however "Fachhochschulen", which are technical colleges without phd programmes. A bachelors/masters system has however been established a few years ago.

University studies are more specialized from the start, i.e. you concentrate almost only on lectures and courses of immediate importance to the subject of choice from day 1.

Sprechen Sie Deutsch? If not, it may well be possible to find a place that offers lectures in english.

Sett iss Shländer!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Germany is expensive, very expensive cost of living.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan
Professional Watcher of The Daily Show and The Colbert Report!
(October 11, 2014 at 2:34 am)Alex K Wrote: I am from sere.

So, what subject should it be, at what stage in your education are you, and have you thought about a specific city?

Most "colleges" in Germany are usually research univerities as there isn't really anything like american two or four year colleges. There are however "Fachhochschulen", which are technical colleges without phd programmes. A bachelors/masters system has however been established a few years ago.

University studies are more specialized from the start, i.e. you concentrate almost only on lectures and courses of immediate importance to the subject of choice from day 1.

Sprechen Sie Deutsch? If not, it may well be possible to find a place that offers lectures in english.

Sett iss Shländer!

I haven't 100% decided I want to do, I'm considering either doing a bachelor of science with a major in geology an biology, but I'm not sure how that would work in Germany, or possibly a university level para medecine program. And yes I am willing to learn german,
Signifying nothing.
I'm not sure there is such a thing as an official double major in those subjects, but there usually is the possibility to have a secondary subject of choice. Sounds like an exciting choice though. With a bit of luck there will be tutorials in english. To get an idea how it works in any particular uni, it is usuqlly a good idea to also informally get in touch with the Fachschaftsvertretung, the official student's association of the department.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(October 11, 2014 at 2:22 pm)Alex K Wrote: I'm not sure there is such a thing as an official double major in those subjects, but there usually is the possibility to have a secondary subject of choice. Sounds like an exciting choice though. With a bit of luck there will be tutorials in english. To get an idea how it works in any particular uni, it is usuqlly a good idea to also informally get in touch with the Fachschaftsvertretung, the official student's association of the department.

Well I get the impression that the way the university system works and the way it works in germany are very different.
Signifying nothing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone thinking of taking part in Movember? Cod 29 2336 October 29, 2018 at 9:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  English Language Books in Germany Rhondazvous 2 450 September 9, 2018 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  College, degrees, and jobs, oh my! Foxaèr 51 4797 May 30, 2018 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  We might be moving to Germany! Aroura 110 15731 July 6, 2017 at 1:54 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Is being a virgin a turnoff for girls in college NuclearEnergy 46 6695 January 12, 2017 at 7:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why are college aged guys so horny NuclearEnergy 39 5378 January 9, 2017 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Thinking About Trying Online Dating Again - Talk Me Out of It Seraphina 62 6025 July 29, 2016 at 2:30 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Whats going on with Thinking Atheist forum? Brian37 23 4373 July 1, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  British people - Thinking about emigrating... Dystopia 26 4063 August 20, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Thinking of making a mafia game dyresand 1 697 July 15, 2015 at 10:57 am
Last Post: dyresand