Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 6:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism is a form of religion...
Atheism is a form of religion...
...is what I hear apologists claim from time to time. Sam Harris has made the comparison, and I think it's fitting, that religion is a term similar in function to the word "sports," as in it's a general term used to describe a broader activity that involves a certain set of rules for engagement with the world, and most importantly, includes a vast array of specific types of activity that have included beliefs about what is acceptable, or even instructed, behavior, that ranges from bloody and violent to wholly introverted quests for bliss, from a rational and stable strategy for maximizing human interaction to patriarchy and xenophobia.

If this analogy in some way capsulizes the meaning of the word "religion," then atheism is simply sitting out. Not on the bench but perhaps on the stands or at home, watching television, disinterested in any participation at all. The sorts of movements that atheism inspires as attempts to diminish the role of religion in the public domain seem analogous to the activists who, violently or (hopefully) non, fight to moderate certain forms of sport, and concerning those most grotesque forms, ban them from the collective conscious in what is considered rational, and ultimately tolerable, forms of societal behavior.

Thoughts?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
RE: Atheism is a form of religion...
A side issue:

however categorized, the 1st Amendment guarantees atheists the same standing as religions enjoy
(October 19, 2014 at 1:11 am)vorlon13 Wrote: A side issue:

however categorized, the 1st Amendment guarantees atheists the same standing as religions enjoy

Theoretically anyway. Should we try for tax exempt status for this forum? Because we won't get it--at least not as a religious institution.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I'd see (I'm not an MBA, BTW) AF as more analogous to something like Cokesbury, and AFAIK, they get standard business deductions, but have to pay property tax etc.

(but maybe I'm way off base on that)
In the same sense that "bald" is a hair color.
You can call atheism a religion if you define religion so broadly that it can mean anything....which effectively means nothing
(October 19, 2014 at 12:45 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: ...is what I hear apologists claim from time to time. Sam Harris has made the comparison, and I think it's fitting, that religion is a term similar in function to the word "sports," as in it's a general term used to describe a broader activity that involves a certain set of rules for engagement with the world, and most importantly, includes a vast array of specific types of activity that have included beliefs about what is acceptable, or even instructed, behavior, that ranges from bloody and violent to wholly introverted quests for bliss, from a rational and stable strategy for maximizing human interaction to patriarchy and xenophobia.

If this analogy in some way capsulizes the meaning of the word "religion," then atheism is simply sitting out. Not on the bench but perhaps on the stands or at home, watching television, disinterested in any participation at all. The sorts of movements that atheism inspires as attempts to diminish the role of religion in the public domain seem analogous to the activists who, violently or (hopefully) non, fight to moderate certain forms of sport, and concerning those most grotesque forms, ban them from the collective conscious in what is considered rational, and ultimately tolerable, forms of societal behavior.

Thoughts?

"Saying atheism is a belief system is like saying not going skiing is a hobby. I literally do it all the time." - Ricky Gervais

TBH I don't like giving RG credit for this quote because I'd heard it, or similar versions at least, a long time before anyone had heard of him.
Atheism is not a religion, it is a stance on religion.
A religion puts forward it's case you look at it and don't agree, so you don't believe.
I have seen and heard enough of supernatural claims to discount them all, so I am an atheist.
I fail to see how this stance is anything like being religious myself.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(October 19, 2014 at 1:14 am)Jenny A Wrote: Theoretically anyway. Should we try for tax exempt status for this forum? Because we won't get it--at least not as a religious institution.
I don't think running a vbull generates much in taxes. But those sunday atheist things shouldn't pay taxes.
god is supposed to be imaginary
In some cases, atheism does become a religion. Like the atheist church thing, also there are many atheists out there and probably a few in here who claim themselves to be atheists just to keep up with the trends without having any capacity for logical thinking, or follow their own beliefs too blindly to consider anything else like those who claim god cannot exist. There are yet others, especially on youtube, who'd lie to prove themselves correct and twist actual facts to suit their needs. When atheism is practiced as a hard stand AGAINST religion it becomes a religion in itself.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4989 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11413 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4254 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too TaraJo 53 24798 October 9, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 6016 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8583 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Believing in Deities is a Form of Psychosis CeruleanNight 146 31278 August 13, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27179 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Scientists discover new form of matter in 2017. (The end of human suffering?) %mindless_detector% 17 5226 January 29, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Yes, Atheism is a Religion Delicate 278 42682 December 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus