Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 7:39 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too
Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/03/1...=pulsenews

ROFLOL

I wonder if these guys really understand what a religion is? It honestly doesn't look like it.
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama
RE: Faux News: Atheism is a religion, too
But he has a degree from Lib U! Jerkoff
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 19, 2013 at 6:06 pm)TaraJo Wrote: I wonder if these guys really understand what a religion is? It honestly doesn't look like it.

No, they don't understand. Bill O'Reilly said that Christianity wasn't a religion.

Author of the article Wrote:It must be an unfortunate plight to be both anti-intellectual and religious!
He would know...
According to anthropology, atheism is a religion. Anthropology defines religion as a system of belief that organizes the universe and informs the worldview of a person. I actually personally don't agree that atheism itself is such a system; I think actually something like materialism, physicalism, or naturalism is.
(March 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: According to anthropology, atheism is a religion. Anthropology defines religion as a system of belief that organizes the universe and informs the worldview of a person.

(bolding mine)
I don't think a single belief (or lack thereof) constitutes a "system".
(March 19, 2013 at 6:29 pm)Darkstar Wrote:
(March 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: According to anthropology, atheism is a religion. Anthropology defines religion as a system of belief that organizes the universe and informs the worldview of a person.

(bolding mine)
I don't think a single belief (or lack thereof) constitutes a "system".
I agree.
(March 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: According to anthropology, atheism is a religion. Anthropology defines religion as a system of belief that organizes the universe and informs the worldview of a person. I actually personally don't agree that atheism itself is such a system; I think actually something like materialism, physicalism, or naturalism is.
I've picked you up on this point before: http://atheistforums.org/post-415058.html#pid415058
I know you don't agree but please can you tell me where you're getting this definition from? Since anthropology is a valid study, it surprises me that the field could contain such an erroneous definition.
Sum ergo sum
(March 19, 2013 at 6:44 pm)Ben Davis Wrote:
(March 19, 2013 at 6:28 pm)futilethewinds Wrote: According to anthropology, atheism is a religion. Anthropology defines religion as a system of belief that organizes the universe and informs the worldview of a person. I actually personally don't agree that atheism itself is such a system; I think actually something like materialism, physicalism, or naturalism is.
I've picked you up on this point before: http://atheistforums.org/post-415058.html#pid415058
I know you don't agree but please can you tell me where you're getting this definition from? Since anthropology is a valid study, it surprises me that the field could contain such an erroneous definition.
Sorry, I missed you before. I don't check in on every thread I've ever commented on.

It's what I've been taught in anthropology classes since 101.
(March 19, 2013 at 6:06 pm)TaraJo Wrote: http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/03/1...=pulsenews

ROFLOL

I wonder if these guys really understand what a religion is? It honestly doesn't look like it.

it is a religion.
Is bald a hair color?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 4924 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
Wink Religion vs Atheism! Bwahahahahahahahah MadJW 146 11371 November 5, 2021 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4198 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Most humans aren't too logical when it comes to world views and how to go about it. Mystic 28 3948 October 9, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Alan V
  Me too Foxaèr 6 1307 October 7, 2018 at 10:08 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  Why Atheism Replaces Religion In Developed Countries Interaktive 33 5951 April 26, 2018 at 8:57 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 17108 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Why atheism is important, and why religion is dangerous causal code 20 8544 October 17, 2017 at 4:42 pm
Last Post: pocaracas
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27084 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Breaking News: Atheism is uncool Foxaèr 159 54931 May 28, 2017 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Succubus