Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The milky way galaxy
The milky way galaxy
[Image: su201245.jpg]
beautiful isn't it? and yet we have haven't progressed past rockets technology to really explore our own universe maybe when we stop killing each other over silly religions we can get warp drives already.

[Image: huktzitxzojen9b5nvoi.jpg]

eventually we would need to leave earth its best to get started now than regret it later.

kind of sad i wont be around when we get this stuff.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: The milky way galaxy
Milky Way is a barred spiral, not an ordinary spiral as depicted.
No kidding, Freeman Dyson and others did some work on pushing Orion Nuclear Impulse technology to it's limits and felt we had the capability for interstellar travel, albeit slowly.

The engineering is scary, but it doesn't involve any violation of physics.
(October 24, 2014 at 11:24 am)vorlon13 Wrote: No kidding, Freeman Dyson and others did some work on pushing Orion Nuclear Impulse technology to it's limits and felt we had the capability for interstellar travel, albeit slowly.

The engineering is scary, but it doesn't involve any violation of physics.

For mere interstellar travel that is slow, we hardly need even Orion. Voyager spacecrafts are doing interstellar travel as we speak.

But slowly is the catch. We humans have a detailed planning horizon, that is at most 1-2 life spans. For realistic policy involving interstellar travel to be formulated, instellar travel must be fast enough to be accomplished within our detailed planning horizon.

That even the Orion can not really do.
I am fascinated by the idea of interstellar exploration; however, I think we could learn to better take care of each other before infesting the cosmos.
(October 24, 2014 at 12:33 pm)Cato Wrote: I am fascinated by the idea of interstellar exploration; however, I think we could learn to better take care of each other before infesting the cosmos.

We deserve a chance to outbreed our own inhumanity.
Speaking of interstellar travel, anyone else excited about this?
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(October 24, 2014 at 1:41 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Speaking of interstellar travel, anyone else excited about this?

I wasn't, but I am now
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

huh. I always thought it'd be bigger.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 24, 2014 at 3:52 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: huh. I always thought it'd be bigger.

Boru

What would be bigger?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why smart machines are a threat to the way humanity currently exists ThoughtCurvature 3 857 September 5, 2017 at 5:08 am
Last Post: ThoughtCurvature
  Hangover free alcohol on the way downbeatplumb 48 6126 September 24, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Only Way To Stop A Bad Guy With A Club Minimalist 5 1267 January 21, 2016 at 2:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Kennewick Man Study On The Way Minimalist 4 1465 September 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Star Milky Way Could Contain 100 Million Planets with Complex Life MountainsWinAgain 3 1256 June 1, 2014 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Is science the only way to knowledge? Vincenzo Vinny G. 115 24805 November 29, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: JDFlood
  Updated "Galaxy Song" by Eric Idle from the Meaning of Life Fidel_Castronaut 4 2582 January 11, 2013 at 4:47 am
Last Post: Aractus
  A, O, Oh way to go, Ohio Epimethean 16 2787 October 9, 2011 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Epimethean
  By way of introduction... orogenicman 2 1118 October 14, 2010 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: orogenicman