Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
By way of introduction...
By way of introduction...
I posted my introduction in the introduction forum, but since I am a scientist, I thought I should start my first thread by posting my position relative to science and religion. First of all, I don't think that one's religious beliefs prevents one from doing sound science provided that one recognizes how the scientific method works, and that since the intention of science is to discover the facts about the natural world in which we live, that one must set aside one's beliefs in order to make impartial interpretations of those facts. Many people of faith are active in the scientific process, and they are able to do so because they understand that with regard to science, the 'principle' that "god did it" doesn't actually explain anything from a scientific perspective.

That said, I had shoulder surgery on Tuesday, so it is difficult for me to type. So what I will leave you with is a quotation from the memoirs of my college paleontology professor, entitled "The Morality Of Nature".

Enjoy,

-OGM

"In the great classic, near eastern religions, man's life on earth is conceived as pain and suffering, and an inheritance of man's fall from grace (or Paradise Lost). According to these traditions, after man's expulsion from paradise, because of his disobedience to his "God", man alone could not recover his erstwhile innocence, even by striving to become a superhuman of humility, submission, and kindness, etc., but only by an intercession of a god, or God-man sacrifice, could man ever hope to regain paradise, in another world, a spirit world. This "New Jerusalem" is a
concept which it contrary to the universal order of things which man's science has inductively gleaned from the study of nature, and as such, man's concept of morality is a product of his vision of the world and his hope to regain lost innocence.

Man's concept of morality has most recently been connected with what he conceived to be good (moral) and to be bad (immoral). Man's immorality has been equated with "sin" in his apriori understanding: this idea of morality has changed tremendously during his short tenure on earth. But contrarily, what is moral in Nature? And has this natural morality altered through time? "Truth" and "falsehood" are important ingredients in man's consideration of morality, but truth may be defined, in the sense of subjective truth with its definitions and criteria, differing from person to person, institution to institution, place to place, and time to time.

Man is essentially incapable of committing "sin" beyond the magnitude of the individual and collective sins, for the universe is independent of mankind's hopes, fears, aspirations, and indeed, complete understanding, past, present, and future. We may, however, admit a possible transient
misdemeanor in that man's efforts have had some deleterious effects on the earth, and even possibly on parts of the solar system, but certainly this can have little or no effect on the galaxy or the universe at large. Further, the earth and sister planets and their satellites are almost
insignificant parts of our almost insignificant star system in an almost insignificant galaxy, and in an almost infinitesimal speck in our universe (be it cosmos or chaos matters not).

Man's paradigm of morality is religion based on axiomatic reasoning, not subject to objective proof, personified as God, omnipotent throughout time and space. According to this paradigm, Man need not strive to obtain knowledge from any source other than religion for all is given by God; submission to his God will make all known which man needs in his life, and the rest on a "need to know basis" will be revealed to him in the after world. This is a lazy system for man need not strive to find truth, but it is handed down from above: All things are known to God and all man needs to do is apply and follow these laws which are made known by individual revelation from God to man.

Man's concept, and Nature's concept of reality and harmony differ in the highest order. Man has accused his a priori deities of duplicity, for men have always asked the question, "Why should good men suffer", and very often the misery of good men is far greater than that of those who do not conform to the highest criteria for goodness as defined by man's totomic customs and religions. This question has been asked and answers have been attempted ever since man realized his "selfness" and became an introspective creature.

In the last analysis of the morality of Nature, we see no evidence of mercy in the cosmos; its indifference extends to the lowest forms of life to that of man. The cries of humanity, whether the suffering is imposed by man upon himself or upon other men, or by natural laws operating independantly of man, echo down the corridors of time and space and evoke no response from
indifferent Nature.

These anguished cries and pitiful prayers for help are merely cosmic background "noise" to which Nature must (not out of evil intent, spite, revenge, or punishment, but by necessity) turn a "deaf ear"; for were it not so, Nature itself would be destroyed by these same laws which Nature
had ordained "in the beginning" (if there was one) and must continue to operate in perpetuity (if
time and the universe are truly eternal), or there would be and ending to the cosmic laws: a true "twilight of the gods", and of cosmic harmony, Chaos never returning to Cosmos."
- James E. Conkin, Professor Emeritus, University of Louisville, 2002

I would add that theists often ask me that if god doesn't exist that one can hae no purpose in life. I beg to differ. As Einstein said:

“A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. While no one can acheive this completely, the striving for such acheivement is a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security.”

Have a good day.
RE: By way of introduction...
Certainly one's religious beliefs does not always conflict with doing science. But to an person from outside his field seeking his expert opinion, his religious pursuation does add an element of uncertainty to his scientific objectivity which could only be dispelled by consulting the concensus opinion of peers in his field.
RE: By way of introduction...
(October 14, 2010 at 12:37 pm)Chuck Wrote: Certainly one's religious beliefs does not always conflict with doing science. But to an person from outside his field seeking his expert opinion, his religious pursuation does add an element of uncertainty to his scientific objectivity which could only be dispelled by consulting the concensus opinion of peers in his field.

That is true whether or not one does hold to a religious belief. Surely within the scientific community, there are those who cannot be reasoned with because they "know it all". The key is to reserve judgement until all the i's are dotted and t's crossed, so to speak. After all, scientists have a reputation for integrity to maintain. And no scientist wants to be publicaly refuted. That is yet another reason why peer review is so important.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why smart machines are a threat to the way humanity currently exists ThoughtCurvature 3 894 September 5, 2017 at 5:08 am
Last Post: ThoughtCurvature
  Hangover free alcohol on the way downbeatplumb 48 6197 September 24, 2016 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The Only Way To Stop A Bad Guy With A Club Minimalist 5 1272 January 21, 2016 at 2:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The milky way galaxy dyresand 25 3917 October 24, 2014 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Kennewick Man Study On The Way Minimalist 4 1482 September 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Star Milky Way Could Contain 100 Million Planets with Complex Life MountainsWinAgain 3 1267 June 1, 2014 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Is science the only way to knowledge? Vincenzo Vinny G. 115 25631 November 29, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: JDFlood
  A, O, Oh way to go, Ohio Epimethean 16 2800 October 9, 2011 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Epimethean