Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too extreme
Too extreme
Does anyone else think this anti speeding ad is too much?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/debate...87670.html

RE: Too extreme
I don't think anyone can really appreciate the carnage caused by losing control of your car as a result of speeding and delusions of having greater skill than one really does.

The advert probably does a disservice to the outcome were such an incident to occur in real life.

My father was a fire fighter after he retired from the military and regularly went to accidents caused by people who indulged in speeding. There was never a happy outcome for the driver nor the people they collided with.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(October 27, 2014 at 7:59 am)C4RM5 Wrote: Does anyone else think this anti speeding ad is too much?

LOL, that ad isn't confronting at all.

You want to see a real anti-speeding ad, this is one we had a few years back in 2008 in AUS:

http://youtu.be/DOYEuEiNBKE

Unlike your Northern Ireland ad, it isn't fake and doesn't feature any actors. here's the website, still up after all these years (though the videos aren't).

-edit- here are the other videos:

http://youtu.be/jFZABk_kyVY

http://youtu.be/JJR_NAald_I

http://youtu.be/UCEldnhuRjc

http://youtu.be/ovQqdTQWOnA

So on TV you'd get the main ad (the full 3 minute ad - they might have had an abridged version too I don't remember) and then in the next ad break you'd get one of those four "victim impact statements" from family members.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I know what I'm about to say is going to sound terrible, so I'll attempt to temper that with an explanation. The way this was shot and edited, coupled with some fairly bad specialFX that fall victim to the uncanny valley, makes it seem comical. Given the subject matter and the kids, it obviously isn't funny. I'm more commenting on the directorial decisions.

The choices of the zoomed in reaction shots, over-exaggerated action, and use of what amounts to dummies would make this scene more at home if, in place of kids, it was a bumbling deserving villain, and instead of the somber GnR cover it was some silly music.

That last scene in particular, where they show the crash to completion, is jarring, but not in the sense they were going for. Moviegoers are used to certain standards of movie making that are built up over time, and work as story telling shortcuts. Showing this scene just adds to the silliness of it. Let alone that not showing it would have been more impactful if left to the imagination.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Yep, the point of the ad is to illustrate the volume of children killed (a classroom since the year 2000), however it's executed so poorly. It's not even confronting, it's completely laughable. Why should the whole classroom of speeding-killers be represented by one speeder - who let's face it, no one is going to identify with? It's just a poorly poorly designed ad. 1. It isn't confronting, 2. It doesn't go anywhere near far enough to shock people.
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
I know this is gonna make me sound like a monster, but when that car flew at those children, somehow it seemed like a scene from the transformers and somehow I was expecting that car to transform into a robot just before hitting the children.

Anyway, that ad is absurd, and totally misses on delivering the actual message. But the idea of using children to create a shock value was pretty good, direction and execution are pathetic at best.

I don't understand one thing though, if we are supposed to drive at safe speeds, and these cars were meant for normal roads and not racing circuits, then why not just limit the damn speed at the time of manufacturing the cars? Also with the technology available (most cars come with gps built in for a start), putting a sensor to actually control the speed based on actual location (road or highway) shouldn't be too hard...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Libyans can't drive (and contrary to public opinion both genders suck at driving).

Is a correlation between religiosity and bad driving possible?
(October 27, 2014 at 7:59 am)C4RM5 Wrote: Does anyone else think this anti speeding ad is too much?

No, I don't think the advert goes to far. I've been too close to far too many people maimed or killed by idiot drivers. All the shock and horror that can be crammed into a PSA about safe driving is none too much.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 27, 2014 at 10:34 am)Aoi Magi Wrote: I know this is gonna make me sound like a monster, but when that car flew at those children, somehow it seemed like a scene from the transformers and somehow I was expecting that car to transform into a robot just before hitting the children.

Anyway, that ad is absurd, and totally misses on delivering the actual message. But the idea of using children to create a shock value was pretty good, direction and execution are pathetic at best.

I don't understand one thing though, if we are supposed to drive at safe speeds, and these cars were meant for normal roads and not racing circuits, then why not just limit the damn speed at the time of manufacturing the cars? Also with the technology available (most cars come with gps built in for a start), putting a sensor to actually control the speed based on actual location (road or highway) shouldn't be too hard...

It is rather easy to override any security measures forced upon drivers. The things you speak of, can be already implemented. People then exercise their right to change their car, simple. Harder than you first thought, as how much of our liberty are you going to sacrifice to enforce such matters? How much data will be shared by us. Think about it.
With proper enforcement strategies from the government, this shouldn't be that hard. I am not talking about a specific make and model, but cars in general, which are meant to follow traffic rules. Why make them in such a way which essentially breaks all law? Most of the time car adverts tout the top speed of the car, as if that is the most positive aspect of it, but in practice you cannot reach that speed without getting pulled over (provided you are in that part of the world), so what's the point? At least if it is enforced by law on car manufacturers to place some actual limits and if tampering those is treated as a crime, then at the very least we can hope for a lower body count each year.
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too PC for me. onlinebiker 256 14027 December 20, 2021 at 6:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  NRA, too many hands in the cookie jar? Gawdzilla Sama 11 849 November 28, 2020 at 1:20 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Obama: This simple '60 Minutes' question was 'too tough' for Trump WinterHold 7 785 October 31, 2020 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  The Lady Doth Protest Too Much, Methinks - Hysterical White Middle Class BLM Activism Duty 31 1900 July 1, 2020 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  When Irony Is Too Good To Ignore BrianSoddingBoru4 13 2796 July 8, 2019 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Too stupid to let loose Mr.Obvious 5 898 October 27, 2018 at 5:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This is just too good brewer 5 689 October 15, 2018 at 9:09 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  And this figures, too Minimalist 0 305 September 10, 2018 at 6:16 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I'm Sure The WLB Will Pardon This Asshole, Too Minimalist 0 365 August 30, 2018 at 2:59 pm
  Looks As If Brexit Is Complicated, Too. Minimalist 10 1374 June 23, 2018 at 12:16 pm