Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a place to confide
Need a place to confide
Hey guys, I'm new on the forum. But not new to atheism. I started questioning religion when I was probably 17 or so. Grew up in a strong catholic home. Church every Sunday, Catholicism every Monday, and constant teachings, and force feedings to believe in "the holy trinity". Got baptized before I could even think for myself. Went through life pleasing my family by relying on nothing but faith in a story that held no water. I wouldn't say I "turned against God", I just think I came to my own realization. I'm not against religion. In fact, I'm comfortable saying, we all have the right to believe what we want. I'm a happily married man, with two alamazing children. My wife doesn't fully know if my disbelief in God. I've tried opening up a time or two, but she just says she doesn't want to talk about it, because it scares her. I get it, she doesn't want to be "dammed". Just like everyone whom has a strong faith in their religion. My wife is Mormon, and my father, and stepmother are catholic, while my biological mother is Mormon. None of them fully know that I just don't believe it. I can't talk to them about it, because they get upset, and disappointed. So I keep it to myself. I'm not in any way "anti-God", I just strongly feel as if it is a fairytale, created so that society had a reason for morals, because conformists don't have the full mind capacity to think for themselves, and decide what is right and wrong. So in turn, they needed someone to create guidelines for them. Which is fine, but it is a little out of control in this modern world. People are brainwashed from the time of birth, to believe in a story that is utterly inconceivable on a scientific level. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a science freak, however, everything that has literal proof in this world, can be shown through scientific facts. For many years now, I cannot put any belief in fideism. But, I'm alone in this journey in everyday life, being as I'm surrounded in such strong believers that God exists. Therefore, I confide only internally, and sometimes that's just not enough. I'm hoping I've found a community to help me with such a battle. Thank you, to everyone that has taken the time to read this, and give your welcomes, and responses.
RE: Need a place to confide
Welcome of AF. Hope you find what you need.
Welcome Welcome

I understand that suffocating feeling about not being able to fully open up to your loved ones. But I do hope, one day they will be able to understand your questions and concerns. Don't worry though, we are here for you Smile
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Welcome Smile
Hello Smile Welcome to AF.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Welcome!

(October 27, 2014 at 3:50 pm)Soloatheist Wrote: I'm not against religion. In fact, I'm comfortable saying, we all have the right to believe what we want.
I dearly hope most atheists here would agree. That doesn't mean it's a good idea though.
Quote:I'm a happily married man, with two alamazing children.
It's ok to make up new adjectives for your children Smile
Quote:My wife doesn't fully know if my disbelief in God. I've tried opening up a time or two, but she just says she doesn't want to talk about it, because it scares her. I get it, she doesn't want to be "dammed". Just like everyone whom has a strong faith in their religion.
I'm sorry, that sucks.
Quote: My wife is Mormon, and my father, and stepmother are catholic, while my biological mother is Mormon.
Oh jees...
Quote:None of them fully know that I just don't believe it. I can't talk to them about it, because they get upset, and disappointed. So I keep it to myself. I'm not in any way "anti-God", I just strongly feel as if it is a fairytale, created so that society had a reason for morals, because conformists don't have the full mind capacity to think for themselves, and decide what is right and wrong.
After your further elaborations, which sound reasonably anti-God, I find it interesting that you feel the need to stress that you are in fact not anti-God. What do you mean by that?
Quote:Don't get me wrong, I'm not a science freak
Pity!
Quote:however, everything that has literal proof in this world, can be shown through scientific facts.
Oh, you're a science freak. Go on...
Quote:For many years now, I cannot put any belief in fideism. But, I'm alone in this journey in everyday life, being as I'm surrounded in such strong believers that God exists. Therefore, I confide only internally, and sometimes that's just not enough. I'm hoping I've found a community to help me with such a battle. Thank you, to everyone that has taken the time to read this, and give your welcomes, and responses.

Forgive me my sarcasm, I had too much red wine. Looking forward to your further insights!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Welcome
For Religion & Health see:[/b][/size] Williams & Sternthal. (2007). Spirituality, religion and health: Evidence and research directions. Med. J. Aust., 186(10), S47-S50. -LINK

The WIN/Gallup End of Year Survey 2013 found the US was perceived to be the greatest threat to world peace by a huge margin, with 24% of respondents fearful of the US followed by: 8% for Pakistan, and 6% for China. This was followed by 5% each for: Afghanistan, Iran, Israel, North Korea. -LINK

"That's disgusting. There were clean athletes out there that have had their whole careers ruined by people like Lance Armstrong who just bended thoughts to fit their circumstances. He didn't look up cheating because he wanted to stop, he wanted to justify what he was doing and to keep that continuing on." - Nicole Cooke
Hello there.

Once you rid yourself of religion you'll feel much better no matter what your surroundings.

You can relax here.
Welcome
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Welcome
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Tongue Looking for a place to belong pocket god 18 3028 May 26, 2015 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: Kitty Galore
  Greetings from a rather godless place Modler 19 3640 March 21, 2014 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: Modler
  Hello!!!! Finally a place I can feel at home! mohnjorrow 21 4191 January 24, 2013 at 3:46 am
Last Post: Metallica
  I found my place !! :) Hi guys sindyann26 17 3766 December 19, 2011 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Looks like a cool place! Hi everyone Musashi 10 2458 April 16, 2011 at 11:17 am
Last Post: Napoléon