Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:25 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rewriting the bible
Rewriting the bible
I think it is pretty clear that all but the most fundamental christians are constantly trying to distance themselves from the old testament, or at least most of it. This is understandable, as it's just a long list of atrocities caused by a so-called all loving god. And also they seem to consider the horrible stuff in the new testament as "stuff it doesn't actually mean".

I would think that again all but the most fundamental christians would agree that the bible is not, in fact, directly word for word exactly what god said. I have been reliably informed that most christian bible scholars accept such things as:

1) The bible contains forgeries
2) The bible has had many errors in translation
3) The bible has been censored, edited and compiled (by men)

And the claim that everything in the bible "is true" is patently absurd to anyone who wants to actually compare it to reality in any honest and scientific way.

So... why don't they, for starters, get rid of the old testament? Instead of spending the whole time trying to say why it "doesn't apply any more", just dump it? If it was "relevant at any earlier time" but not now, why have it hanging around, just to confuse people? Or at least label it as history, or stories, instead of something meant to be taken at all literally.

I would have no problem with the pope or boss or whoever makes such decisions just saying the "new bible" will only have the new testament in it. And while they are at it, just cut out all the really horrible stuff that christians also spend their whole lives tap-dancing around to try and make out that it doesn't say what it says. Cut out the stuff about slavery, misogyny, racism... all the things christians like to believe the bible doesn't stand for.

Or even go one better and change the name to something else (christianites, and the book of jesus? Most people seem to think its all about jesus rather than god) and admit that the book is meant to be more of a guide than a literal account of history, while editing it as above to make it more of an actual moral guide. Because at the moment, if you actually follow even half of the stuff it says is OK in the bible, you'd be dead or in prison very quickly.

How would people feel about this? Would the atheists here think this is a good move, or would you criticize it as hypocritical? Would the christians like to see the book changed so that it actually represents what they want it to represent?

Because as long as there are actual words on the pages saying that you should stone someone to death for collecting sticks on a Sunday, there is always the chance that at some point people will start taking it literally again and start doing it. Especially because it is so generally hyped as the "word of god" and even christians have a hard time explaining why they don't do what it says to do.

It would be an admission that the "faith" has changed, the bible is not perfect but has been hugely corrupted over time, and it's time to straighten it out. The new/liberal christianity could start afresh with a book that they consider accurate enough, but with less harmful stuff in it as ticking time bombs. And I mean, in other countries people are still doing the stuff it says in there like killing witches. If you remove all that stuff from the official bible, and at least a good consensus could be reached on this, then just maybe this kind of thing would stop in the not too distant future. And make it clear that hell is just seperation from god, and not eternal torture. This will hopefully reduce some of the trauma felt by children who are forced to believe this stuff.

In short, the book has been being edited for 2000 years. Why stop now? Take out all the stuff which is also clearly wrong (creationism) and make it allign with science to some degree. I feel that religion is going to have to do something pretty soon, or else the rift between reality and the book will just keep growing bigger and polarization is inevitable.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Rewriting the bible
Wait, what? Haven't you heard of the Septuagint? Do your research!
No, I've never heard of that, I will look it up.

"All the books of western canons of the Old Testament are found in the Septuagint, although the order does not always coincide with the Western ordering of the books. The Septuagint order for the Old Testament is evident in the earliest Christian Bibles."

So this looks like some sort of old, alternative bible. It is certainly not a new, more moral possible replacement, and the fact I haven't heard of it means even if it is it can't be being pushed very hard.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm taking about getting out the razorblades, people.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I don't know how to address the sheer volume of so much incorrect information as you put in the op. Just about every fact you state, the opposite is true. You don't list any source material so I will just assume your making stuff up as you go to fit your arguement.

So I will answer the basic question. Why do Christians hold on to the OT?

The OT is the foundation of Christianity. It shows where God would be with us with out Christ's attonement covering our sins. It also establishes where we've been and where we are going.
OK sure, what is your first objection? I will look up sources for you. I'm basing it all on what I've reliably been informed about, but if it turns out I've said something wrong I'll happily admit it. Also basing it on hundreds of hours of listening to the Atheist Experience, where theistic callers are welcome and they try to defend their views. Almost every single caller tries to distance themselves from most of the bible, or use mental gymnastics to try and get out of what it actually says.

It shows where God would be with us with out Christ's attonement covering our sins. I don't understand what that means?

I don't think I've said anything unreasonable, but I'm happy to defend myself. So just pick the worst thing I said that's wrong.

Quick questions for you: is slavery moral? Should I stone people to death for collecting sticks on a Sunday? Should a woman be forced to marry her rapist? If any of these answers are anything other than "Yes of course" then you are trying to distance yourself from the bible.

Index of my best videos
Again, every point you make is wrong, it all builds on what you already believe. So again, the problem here is not one thing. You need a complete reboot, and to take a honest look at everything you think.. So maybe you can take whatever the Linch pin is in your own Arguement and support it with something and we can start there. Otherwise know that I have on many occasions been made to provide source material on everything I have said. Especially when going against what is commonly believed, so it is not unreasonable for me to ask you to do the same.
OK, well if you won't point out a single thing I said wrong, I can't defend myself to you. If you just tell me I'm wrong, then that is of no help I'm afraid. Point to any specific part, and I'll try my best to find supporting evidence. Otherwise, not much I can do. Commonly believed does not equal true.

If there's nothing you can say, fair enough, I acknowledge you totally disagree and would be against changing the bible.

(You didn't answer any of my questions though.)

Index of my best videos
(November 5, 2014 at 7:33 am)robvalue Wrote: OK, well if you won't point out a single thing I said wrong, I can't defend myself to you. If you just tell me I'm wrong, then that is of no help I'm afraid. Point to any specific part, and I'll try my best to find supporting evidence. Otherwise, not much I can do.

If there's nothing you can say, fair enough, I acknowledge you totally disagree and would be against changing the bible.

(You didn't answer any of my questions though.)

Again it is all wrong. I just said everything you put in the op does not reflect the truth. That means if you want answers from me you need to justify your claims. Otherwise know from the same authority you made your claims, I have dismissed them.

Making someone demonstrate their claims is a troll filter. Why should I put in the work if your not willing to do the same?
OK, thanks for your feedback.

Index of my best videos
Well followers of the Bible indeed all religions are constantly rewrittenin fact the Bible claims sleeping with a woman on her period is punishable by death same as sleeping with another man but they seem too only adhear to one Bible law and not the other in fact many Catholics no longer believe in creationism and claim only a few hillfolk in the USA believe this nonsense.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44143 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Rewriting the bible part 5 - duderonomy (Deuteronomy) dyresand 6 1704 March 23, 2016 at 3:38 am
Last Post: Alex K
  rewriting the bible part 2 - exodus dyresand 68 14470 March 21, 2016 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Rewriting the bible part 4 - Numbers dyresand 2 1029 March 15, 2016 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  rewriting the bible part 3 - Leviticus dyresand 11 3156 March 14, 2016 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Rewriting the bible part 1 - Genesis dyresand 4 1957 March 12, 2016 at 3:14 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7451 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Conservatives Rewriting the Bible to be more Right-Wing MindForgedManacle 17 3324 December 22, 2013 at 8:56 am
Last Post: StoryBook