Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you still have faith if..
Would you still have faith if..
Everything you knew or thought to be be true were to be highly stated in fact false and even the deity you called god doesn't exist with credible evidence. and that faith itself is nothing more than wishful thinking would you continue to be willfully ignorant or would you stop believing and move on?
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
RE: Would you still have faith if..
Again..Dyre.. these kind of posts aren't really going to get anywhere discussion-wise. I'm not sure exactly what responses you're expecting to get for this from the theists on this site, but it's not a very well-put-together question. Perhaps you could start a thread trying to discuss a single part of that question such as "What's your definition of Faith? Here's mine" or something.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Agree on that.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
I'd put it more like, How long would you continue going to work if your boss every two weeks said "just have faith in that invisible check" and every time you tried to cash it or tried to get money out of your bank account you got nothing, or only some of the time but not all of the the time. How long would you stay working there?
(November 13, 2014 at 5:12 pm)Brian37 Wrote: I'd put it more like, How long would you continue going to work if your boss every two weeks said "just have faith in that invisible check" and every time you tried to cash it or tried to get money out of your bank account you got nothing, or only some of the time but not all of the the time. How long would you stay working there?

Same old thing. Their invisible check is to be cashed after they snuffed it. So, your analogy doesn't cut it either.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Especially because many theists can experience real emotional rewards in connection with their faith or faith group.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(November 13, 2014 at 3:44 pm)dyresand Wrote: Everything you knew or thought to be be true were to be highly stated in fact false and even the deity you called god doesn't exist with credible evidence. and that faith itself is nothing more than wishful thinking would you continue to be willfully ignorant or would you stop believing and move on?
So... would you have faith if you didn't have faith? I'd guess... no.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(November 13, 2014 at 3:44 pm)dyresand Wrote: Everything you knew or thought to be be true were to be highly stated in fact false and even the deity you called god doesn't exist with credible evidence. and that faith itself is nothing more than wishful thinking would you continue to be willfully ignorant or would you stop believing and move on?

Once I get there I'll let you know.
I get what you're sayin...

If the unknowable was proven to be knowable, and you knew what you know wasn't what you knew... would you still know what you didn't know.

Plain as the nose on your face. Take that doubters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still Angry about Abraham and Isaac zwanzig 29 2007 October 1, 2023 at 7:58 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why are you (still) a Christian? FrustratedFool 304 18758 September 29, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 13214 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  A Believer's Thoughts on Faith rlp21858 168 11509 July 9, 2022 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  GOD's Mercy While It Is Still Today - Believe! Mercyvessel 102 8312 January 9, 2022 at 1:31 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  3 reasons for Christians to start questionng their faith smax 149 58494 December 4, 2021 at 10:26 am
Last Post: Ketzer
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1462 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Faith is Feelings zwanzig 44 4481 February 28, 2021 at 1:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What will win the god wars? Faith, Fantasy, Facts, or God? Greatest I am 98 6280 December 28, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89480 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte