Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Theory Of Everything". OP/ED
"The Theory Of Everything". OP/ED
RationalPoet........OP/ED

Do not spoil it for me because I do want to see the movie "The Theory of Everything", about Stephen Hawking. I am a bit apprehensive though because while it has a scientist as an inspirational hero, somehow knowing how even liberals try co opt science, something makes me think at some point in the movie they will twist Hawking words to imply the possibility of a god. Even outside this issue, I really hate movies the ruin a good plot by interjecting the god of the gaps.

If you see it before I do, DO NOT SPOIL IT FOR ME!
RE: "The Theory Of Everything". OP/ED
Is Hawkins some kind of superatheistic Biocosmologist with ALS and feminism issues? Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Spelled his name wrong. UGGGGGGG I hate it when I do that. I fixed it though.
I thought the movie was beautiful. I loved it. I don't think there was a dry eye in the movie theater by the time the credits rolled.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(December 4, 2014 at 1:38 am)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: I thought the movie was beautiful. I loved it. I don't think there was a dry eye in the movie theater by the time the credits rolled.

Without spoiling it, did the script writers somewhere in there imply god or did they rightfully leave that shit out?
There was quite a bit about his atheism and his wife's Christianity. Some great one liners actually. It was all artfully done.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza
(December 4, 2014 at 2:36 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: There was quite a bit about his atheism and his wife's Christianity. Some great one liners actually. It was all artfully done.

The way you make it sound it was balanced. Unfortunately in art and media it takes time to get society to adjust to new ways of thinking.

I just hate when really good movies make theism look like the hero.
Yeah, I wouldn't say that was the case. You definitely owe yourself to see it! I think you'll find it very moving.
I saw a biography about like 5 years ago or so, where they interviewed some of the people that went to Oxford with him. He was in some of the highest level astrophysics courses (like...insane theoretical shit that I couldn't even read). Their professor assigned a problem set of ten questions and gave them two weeks to complete it. All of his friends were in the library hours and hours per day and Hawking was apparently super chill about it and didn't bother starting the problem set.

The day it was due, Hawking's friends were all gathered outside the classroom, furiously comparing notes and answers. In the two weeks, their group had only come up with answers to 3 of the questions. According the the anecdotes, Hawking had just started the problem set that morning, and came running down from his dorm room (he still had use of his legs at this point) in a fluster, yelling:

"I need your help fellas! I only managed to get 8 of the 10 finished!"

He seems kinda smart...I guess~
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Why doesn't fucking god cure Stephen Hawking?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yes is the answer to everything... Brian37 12 1742 March 6, 2020 at 7:51 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Anyone watch "Adam Ruins Everything"? Brian37 17 1665 February 2, 2020 at 6:11 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Unofficial Big Bang Theory fan thread. Brian37 34 10217 May 19, 2019 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Music theory nerds will like this Tea Earl Grey Hot 2 1082 January 24, 2014 at 12:02 am
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot