Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This is the terrifying legacy house Republicans are leaving us with
This is the terrifying legacy house Republicans are leaving us with
http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politic...n-research

House Republicans Pass Bill Forbidding Scientists from Advising EPA on Their OWN Research

Quote:"We get it, you don't like science. Especially when it interferes with your corporate clients."

They don't even try to hide it any more.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: This is the terrifying legacy house Republicans are leaving us with
Booting out scientists from advising on the EPA, possibly putting in a climate-change denier at the head of an environmental board... way to be, GOP.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
Hopefully Obama has the spine to follow through on his threat to veto.

Hopefully.

No one does "stupid" better than republicunts.

Expect some of our resident shitballs to show up and explain how this is all about "freedom" or some such other bullshit.
(November 21, 2014 at 12:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Hopefully.

Expect some of our resident shitballs to show up and explain how this is all about "freedom" or some such other bullshit.

But no one does "spineless" better than democrats.
Would you prefer two parties which simply shout "no" and refuse to even attempt to govern?
(November 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Would you prefer two parties which simply shout "no" and refuse to even attempt to govern?

You can only make a charade of governing when your partner is the Republican Party of after 1994. Democrats reflexively assume the Republican Party is an immutable fact of American governance and whatever antics the republicans is up to, governance is better with them than without. Republican Party post 1994 makes no similar assumptions about the democrats, and they have worked singlemindedly, if clumsily and with uneven success, to turn this nation into a kleptocratic single party dictatorship.
(November 21, 2014 at 12:37 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Hopefully.

Some one should perhaps explain to them that 'science' isn't a democratic process - you don't get to vote on what the facts are.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
But, both parties are the same and just as bad!

Except, you don't see Democrats doing things like this for some reason, nor do you see them pushing for voter suppression ID or fighting gay marriage or trying to keep as many people as possible from having health care or fighting hard to suppress science to make sure their corporate puppetmasters can continue to wreck the planet we live on, or ...

Democrats have their problems, but Republicans are completely awful people doing completely awful things. To refuse to vote because there isn't a perfect side is stupid. We have two parties, and one of them is clearly insane and destructive. The other is kind of wimpy and has members that probably belong in the other party, but give me a choice between a party with mostly good intentions and a party who takes glee in making life worse for everybody but themselves, and it's not a hard decision to make
(November 21, 2014 at 4:12 pm)Chuck Wrote:
(November 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Would you prefer two parties which simply shout "no" and refuse to even attempt to govern?

You can only make a charade of governing when your partner is the Republican Party of after 1994. Democrats reflexively assume the Republican Party is an immutable fact of American governance and whatever antics the republicans is up to, governance is better with them than without. Republican Party post 1994 makes no similar assumptions about the democrats, and they have worked singlemindedly, if clumsily and with uneven success, to turn this nation into a kleptocratic single party dictatorship.

Agreed but irrelevant. The democrats do not have the votes to enact legislation on their own. Neither did the republicunts when Bush wanted to do immigration reform.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  5 Terrifying Statements in the Leaked Climate Report Gooders1002 6 2231 August 21, 2013 at 12:24 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Republicans Introduces Bill To Require Political Approval Of Scientific Papers Gooders1002 18 6408 May 7, 2013 at 6:11 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  I want me a printed moon house. downbeatplumb 8 3603 February 2, 2013 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Cyberman