Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 11:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conflicted, Life Has No Inherent Meaning But I Want to Adopt One
Conflicted, Life Has No Inherent Meaning But I Want to Adopt One
So I am pretty fixed in my disbelief. I don't hate the idea of a "god" but I hate what religion and people do to it. But in the end...the god question is pretty meaningless.

I used to derive meaning and purpose from being mormon. And though I was sometimes a fake believer, the delusion was empowering. Losing all that conflicts things.

There may be no real meaning or purpose...but there was be a way to feel empowered as an american atheist and regain a sense of stability and find happiness.

What is happiness? What am I? Why am I always depressed? What will make me happy? It appears almost as if nothing has the answer, nor does medical treatment.
"Just call me Bruce Wayne. I'd rather be Batman."
RE: Conflicted, Life Has No Inherent Meaning But I Want to Adopt One
Tried hookers and blow?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
What have you tried for depression, if it is "actual" depression, and not just some ghost in your head from some existential considerations?

There's been about 9000 discussions on this topic, the meaning of life and whatnot, but it's what you make of it. No meaning inherent in life means that you get to inject your own meaning into it. THAT is freedom.
(November 29, 2014 at 8:25 pm)Endo Wrote: THAT is freedom.

No that's individuality. No other person's meaning can be applied like a blueprint.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
If nothing has meaning for you, then you're an empty slate. Congratulations, you are free to GIVE life whatever meaning you want. You are God of your own life. You can throw it away, or you can see this realization as a moment of pure liberty-- you can literally do anything you want to.
(November 29, 2014 at 8:11 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Tried hookers and blow?

Don't have money for hookers, don't know what blow is?

(November 29, 2014 at 8:25 pm)Endo Wrote: What have you tried for depression, if it is "actual" depression, and not just some ghost in your head from some existential considerations?

There's been about 9000 discussions on this topic, the meaning of life and whatnot, but it's what you make of it. No meaning inherent in life means that you get to inject your own meaning into it. THAT is freedom.

What have I tried? Basically three hospitalizations, two intensive out patient programs, several medications, ridding myself of dogma (that made me considerably more depressed), and medical marijuana.

In reality, I might just have to be patient. But things still bother me and something is unsettled that I'm trying to make peace with.
Snow...white girl, candy cane, gutter glitter, yayo....coke...cocaine man...cocaine (christ, no wonder you're depressed). If you had some..you wouldn't -need- any money for hookers. Angel
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 29, 2014 at 8:35 pm)bennyboy Wrote: If nothing has meaning for you, then you're an empty slate. Congratulations, you are free to GIVE life whatever meaning you want. You are God of your own life. You can throw it away, or you can see this realization as a moment of pure liberty-- you can literally do anything you want to.

But how do I know what to place into my empty box?

So far I know this:

1) I am 21, want to go back to school, and I know I'm smart enough to do it. Being a computer scientist or programmer could mean a whole lot, but is that the answer to my unhappiness?

2) I love to write, read, and play piano. But it's like a drug. Good in the moment, but eventually tomorrow I am wallowing in my own self pity and hatred.

3) I want to make people happy and be happy. But what does that mean?

Perhaps I am still suffering from the mormon programming where the member is victimized and always blamed for the purpose of indoctrination.

Perhaps I have an anger problem?

Perhaps I just have to be patient?

Or is there is eureka moment where we suddenly realize how we find meaning and happiness in this thing we call the "human experience"?

(November 29, 2014 at 8:49 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Snow...white girl, candy cane, gutter glitter, yayo....coke...cocaine man...cocaine (christ, no wonder you're depressed). If you had some..you wouldn't -need- any money for hookers. Angel

Hahaha. I see. I think medical marijuana is the extent to my experimentation, but thank you for the suggestion. hahaha
Quote:But how do I know what to place into my empty box?
-What a wonderful question to ask a hooker!
(I can do this all day baby)
(November 29, 2014 at 8:52 pm)Quantum1Connect Wrote: 1) I am 21, want to go back to school, and I know I'm smart enough to do it. Being a computer scientist or programmer could mean a whole lot, but is that the answer to my unhappiness?

2) I love to write, read, and play piano. But it's like a drug. Good in the moment, but eventually tomorrow I am wallowing in my own self pity and hatred.

3) I want to make people happy and be happy. But what does that mean?

So why don't you have a try at all of them. It's not as if any option would exclude the other. Go to school, do some voluntary work and write away when you got the time.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing I saw on a site that I want to comment on ShinyCrystals 5 357 March 21, 2024 at 1:33 pm
Last Post: ShinyCrystals
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3110 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 3735 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Atheism and the meaning of life - what drives you? UniverseCaptain 344 25382 November 12, 2021 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  "You just want to be your own god"? zwanzig 48 4328 July 7, 2021 at 5:01 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  A Case for Inherent Morality JohnJubinsky 66 6457 June 22, 2021 at 10:35 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2769 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1404 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  [Serious] What gives your life meaning? EgoDeath 30 3056 October 28, 2019 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2100 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3