Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 2:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe Bloe (Adelaide, South Australia)
Joe Bloe (Adelaide, South Australia)
Hi everyone. I'm a lifelong atheist - and eight years of Sunday School did nothing to change that.

My three favourite pastimes are 1950's rockabilly music, computer programming (in BASIC) and surfing the net.

I'm looking forward to joining in some of the discussions here...
RE: Joe Bloe (Adelaide, South Australia)
Hi Joe, welcome to the forums.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Welcome along.

I used to programme in BASIC. Nothing wrong with that. My favourite was GFA BASIC on the Amiga which I used when I was a shareware author, something that I plan to resurrect in the new year, but this time with Delphi/Pascal.

Anyway, I'm wittering. Welcome once again Smile
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Welcome to the forums Joe.

EvF
Hey Joe!

Yeah same here with sunday school.
Welcome Joe, to the forums!
Freedom is the ability to march to the beat of a different drummer without fear of retribution. Secularone

Ignorance is bliss but understanding is wonderful. Atheist forums.org
Welcome. Good to see that sunday school also had no effect on you. Big Grin

And BASIC sucks balls. Procedural programming at its worst with even worse garbage collection and shoddier coding practices. An in the words of one of my CS heroes:
"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. " -- Edsger Dijkstra
(November 27, 2009 at 9:11 pm)Synackaon Wrote: Welcome. Good to see that sunday school also had no effect on you. Big Grin

And BASIC sucks balls. Procedural programming at its worst with even worse garbage collection and shoddier coding practices. An in the words of one of my CS heroes:
"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC: as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration. " -- Edsger Dijkstra
Can't argue with that...I deliberately mentioned BASIC so that people wouldn't confuse me with a "real" programmer.

The thing is, I learnt BASIC on a Commodore 64 in the mid-1980's, then I used QBasic for about ten years - and then it was too late. Now I am so comfortable with the language that I will never give it up. Don't have to really...there's never been a program I've had to put on the shelf because I couldn't find the code to complete it.
Welcome Joe Bloe Smile I hope you find surfing this forum to be as (or more) interesting than surfing the web Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome Joe!
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello from south florida! My coming out story... FollowingFeynman89 7 780 May 15, 2023 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Kingpin
  Living in America's South... mlmooney89 33 2506 June 7, 2016 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Hello from the deep south Strider 40 4508 December 5, 2014 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Howdy from the South Krazar 34 7310 October 7, 2013 at 4:17 pm
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  HI from Australia CharlotteHaley 11 1592 October 7, 2013 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Atheist from south Florida (USA) Miami_Marlins_fan 9 3541 April 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Hello from Australia Galileo 18 2978 November 6, 2011 at 9:46 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko