Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.)
Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.)
Ah, Hell Houses. These are among the most gruesome, vile, and morally deplorable conversion tools at Christianity's disposal. I am interested in knowing if any members here have had experiences with one of these places. Unfortunately, I have.

Just in case someone doesn't know (our European brethren perhaps), a Hell House is basically a Christian haunted house. The visitors are exposed to scenes depicting "sins" such as talking back to your parents, doubting the existence of god, and so forth involving a teenager (typically). The visitor is then treated to a horrific death scene of the teen, usually caused by a vehicle accident but this varies. Next, you take a walk through a simulated hell, which is where the teen went. Now, if all of this isn't disturbing and repugnant enough, there are a tables set up at the conclusion of the tour with friendly people ready and waiting to guide your soul to Christ after you've been sufficiently terrified of what he will do to you if you don't follow him blindly.

I have a couple of questions: Have any members here experienced one of these horror shows? If you are Christian, do you defend these detestable events when the conversion process is borne out of fear and terror experienced by teens and children?

As I said, I've been to one. I was a teenager and, for all intents and purposes, a non-believer, but I still went to church because my girlfriend did. That's a stupid reason, but, hey, people do stupid things. Anyway, the church organized a field trip of sorts to one of these hell houses. I didn't think anything of it at the time. I'd never been to one so I assumed it was a Christian-themed haunted house. I was wrong.

The first scene we were treated to was a teenager arguing with his parents. It was extremely uncomfortable and very intense. It sure did not seem fun, and it had only started. I don't remember the reason for the argument, but I do recall he was scoffing at his mother quoting scripture (a big no, no!). Well, the group then walks outside to a full scene involving a mangled car, firefighters and firetrucks, and a body lying on the ground beneath a white sheet, completely drenched in blood. I realized there was something terribly wrong at play here. I should have just walked away and took the kids of the group with me. I was disgusted, and I could already see the implications and what was coming next. For whatever reason, I marched on into hell. Hell consisted of walking down a corridor with black fabric on either side, hands reaching out to grab and snatch at you, with an unending cacophony of screaming and wailing. Horrific doesn't do it justice. The kids in the group were visibly upset, and I was getting more and more angry. After hell, I got to see heaven (what a treat). We were then told that the only way to avoid the awful things we had just seen and experienced was to "accept Jesus Christ, etc., etc.". We were ushered into another room where the tables were set up and were admonished to stand in line to wait our turn to speak to one of the people at the table.

If I were the same person then as I am now, I would have channeled my fury onto one of these evil dolts who had been subjecting children to one of the most malicious, immoral, and twisted things I'd ever been party to with the single warped notion of manipulating them into conversion. But, I wasn't the same then. I was 15, meek, and submissive to adults and authority. I responded tersely to the wheedling questions of the guy at the table: "No." "No thanks." "No." And the affair was done. Nobody said much on the way back home. We were all too shocked I think.

Anyway, that's my one and only experience with a "Hell House". Do you have an experience with one? If so, let's hear it.
RE: Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.)
It's about as close to publically celebrated child abuse as you can get.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
RE: Hell Houses (AKA: Hallelujah Houses, Heaven or Hell, Christian Haunted House, etc.)
(December 3, 2014 at 11:37 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: It's about as close to publically celebrated child abuse as you can get.
What I experienced that night was undoubtedly child abuse. Of course, I was old enough to see through the charade. But, there were kids there...little kids who will believe that garbage specifically because an adult tells them it's true. Hell houses are as morally objectionable as it gets.
If I'd walked through that at age 15, I'd probably ask them to let me see the gruesome death scenes again. Hey, I was always a horror buff!
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(December 3, 2014 at 11:42 am)Strider Wrote:
(December 3, 2014 at 11:37 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: It's about as close to publically celebrated child abuse as you can get.
What I experienced that night was undoubtedly child abuse. Of course, I was old enough to see through the charade. But, there were kids there...little kids who will believe that garbage specifically because an adult tells them it's true. Hell houses are as morally objectionable as it gets.

It's a pretty damning sign of the desperation of American Evangelicals if they think the best way to instill their values in their children is to avoid actual reasonable discussion and instead put their kids in a horror-house with real death threats veiled in compassion.

"If you ever even think about doing this you'll go to HELLLLL *chainsaw noises and cardboard cut-out Obama heads on popsicle sticks*!! But remember Jesus loves you...vote Republican."
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
I have never heard of such a thing, but I live in the Midwest, where religion has more of a passive stranglehold on society. It's not quite as out-and-out flaunted as in other places like the south. I have to say, however, that is quite disturbing. If my kid came home and told me he had been taken to one of those, it would take every ounce of willpower I have not to go on a rampage.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Yeah, I've seen them. It didn't affect me much since I saw them the same as the other haunted houses, I just thought they were cheesier.

Really it depends on the child. Some kids I wouldn't have an issue taking them to it (although I wouldn't, what would be the point?) others I wouldn't. This is one of those instances where I'm honestly at a loss for what the adults in charge want to get out of it. Can't they see how cheesey it is? Can't they see how it pales next to other haunted houses? What do they intend to accomplish by trying to compete with the others? Can't they see the futility?
I think the takeaway here for why Christians might condone these gruesome events is that nothing is off-limits if it means converting a person to one of their number. I also think the advertising as a kind of haunted house is to lure kids in with the idea of having fun; a blatant lie.
I don't even get that. When I was a kid there was this guy who did a haunted house in his basement. And he went ALL OUT. Realistic dead bodies, sulfur smell, shrieks on a soundtrack, things jumping out at you as you crossed partitions. The hell houses I've seen tend to pale in comparison. It was further cheapened by the overt Christian agenda.
It wouldn't surprise me if some found it in bad taste and simply kept their opinion quiet because they weren't sure it would be received well. In fact, it's possible that most people did so, believing that they were in the minority opinion at the time. It's a common, if quirky, human behavior. People tend to tolerate the louder and most extreme factions in their midst because they believe that they are more popular than they really are.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there free will in Heaven? zwanzig 54 4469 April 12, 2021 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Flying house of Loreto Fake Messiah 2 670 April 6, 2021 at 7:14 am
Last Post: brewer
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88919 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Eternity in Heaven - Scary? JairCrawford 47 5466 July 26, 2018 at 2:43 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Are there any YECs in the house here? Jehanne 71 9488 June 28, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Pope Francis -- dogs go to Heaven! Jehanne 34 5523 October 19, 2017 at 3:46 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  There is a difference between salvation, and the rewards of Heaven Drich 45 13643 July 31, 2017 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Drich
  Why do Christians want to go to Heaven? Fake Messiah 52 19120 June 28, 2017 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Flood destroys Tony Perkins' house drfuzzy 14 2084 August 18, 2016 at 10:03 am
Last Post: brewer
  "heaven" meme on facebook drfuzzy 34 7729 May 2, 2016 at 4:44 am
Last Post: GUBU