Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 8:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
driving
driving
I'm new to driving and I feel like I can't stop making mistakes.

Most of them are minor mistakes, and actually some of what I thought were mistakes actually weren't I was just being paranoid.

The mediocre mistakes I made which definitely were mistakes but caused no harm were based on wrong lane choices.

Only 2 of the mistakes I made are mistakes I'm worried about catching up to me.

I was paranoid for a while that I ran a red light but I can't be sure of this it could be paranoia.
The only reason I wasn't completely sure is because my dashboard was giving me a strange warning light which was distracting me. I sort of looked up at the last moment and wasn't sure what light I'd just passed, I looked in my mirror behind me and remembered seeing green but it was quite frosty and blurry through the windows.

The other mistake I DEFINITELY made was today, I turned right, down a road just after a "no turning right" (Except for buses and bicycles) sign

If a camera caught me then I still won't get points on my license for this, just a fine, I hope.

I really am a cautious driver, I know almost for a fact I've never gone over the speed limit, I still indicate and check my mirrors religiously like I'm still on my driving test. I only really make errors driving in places I've never been before.

Anyway, just lookin for some opinions and other peoples personal experience with this type of thing.

It's so fucking frustrating it can take up to two weeks, if the cameras catch you, for the police to send a fine in the post. I'll be spending the next two weeks in total dread.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

RE: driving
I have been driving since I was 19 years old, I'm now 60 (an official old fart!) I average around 5000 miles per month for work plus my own private driving. So I consider myself to be fairly experienced, I still make stupid mistakes, and so does every other driver. The actual process of driving becomes automatic but in a strange town, where you don't know the roads... things can happen, like you want to drive straight on at traffic lights, then find you are in a left turn only lane but didn't realise because road markings were covered by the vehicles in front, if traffic is heavy you may not be able to change lanes, so just turn left and try to work your way back to the road you should be on. There are the occasional idiot on the road, like "white van man" yesterday, I was driving at the legal limit in the middle lane of the motorway, overtaking slower traffic in the inside lane, this nutter came racing up behind me flashing his lights. When he realised I was not going to break the speed limit for him, he pulled out, raced past me and cut in front of me, missing me by what felt like inches, then he sat in front of me for a couple of miles. All that effort and he gained one car length. Why??
The best advice I got when I started was "Treat every road user like an idiot, including yourself!"
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Either texting and driving or drunk driving........ Brian37 0 391 October 8, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Texting and Driving brewer 68 12294 June 27, 2017 at 1:22 am
Last Post: johan
  Where are your hands when driving? brewer 38 4188 March 14, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Driving Style Assessment brewer 20 2585 February 11, 2016 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Driving to Eminem's house Mudhammam 2 1813 August 29, 2014 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Driving Across the Country... rexbeccarox 44 6438 August 19, 2014 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
Question Driving in the left lane Tea Earl Grey Hot 41 12832 December 11, 2012 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Aractus