Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 9:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driving in the left lane
Question 
Driving in the left lane
I never speed. Not even by 1 mph above. So perhaps I'm biased....

Seems like everyone complains about "slow" drivers in the left lane. What is a "slow" driver? Well it's apparently people who drive the speed limit or less. I can see getting mad at a granny going 30 in a 50 mph zone but getting mad at people going the speed limit in the left lane? What?

If I'm in the left lane going the speed limit and I'm blocking you from going above the speed limit (i.e. speeding) then I'm not the problem, you're the problem.

Angel
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
RE: Driving in the left lane
I'm similar, I drive maybe 5 over in the "fast" lane. But don't tailgate when someone goes the limit in front of me. However I do try to stay out of that lane to avoid the dickwads who like to treat it like it's their own personal autobahn.
(December 9, 2012 at 9:40 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I never speed. Not even by 1 mph above. So perhaps I'm biased....

Seems like everyone complains about "slow" drivers in the left lane. What is a "slow" driver? Well it's apparently people who drive the speed limit or less. I can see getting mad at a granny going 30 in a 50 mph zone but getting mad at people going the speed limit in the left lane? What?

If I'm in the left lane going the speed limit and I'm blocking you from going above the speed limit (i.e. speeding) then I'm not the problem, you're the problem.

Angel

Get the fuck out of my way, idiot!
(December 9, 2012 at 10:01 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(December 9, 2012 at 9:40 pm)teaearlgreyhot Wrote: I never speed. Not even by 1 mph above. So perhaps I'm biased....

Angel

Get the fuck out of my way, idiot!

Never!
My ignore list

"The lord doesn't work in mysterious ways, but in ways that are indistinguishable from his nonexistence."
-- George Yorgo Veenhuyzen quoted by John W. Loftus in The End of Christianity (p. 103).
Sorry dude but you are wrong. Besides for being plain old rude, failure to yield the left lane to faster traffic is against the law in many if not most places in the US.

Quote: Common practice and most law on United States Highways is that the left lane is reserved for passing and faster moving traffic, and that traffic using the left lane must yield to traffic wishing to overtake. The United States Uniform Vehicle Code states:

Upon all roadways any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic ...

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's website on "Keep Right Laws" points out that:

This law refers to the "normal" speed of traffic, not the "legal" speed of traffic. The 60 MPH driver in a 55 MPH zone where everybody else is going 65 MPH must move right..."[3]

It is also illegal in many states in the U.S. to use the "far left" or passing lane on a major highway as a traveling lane (as opposed to passing), or to fail to yield to faster moving traffic that is attempting to overtake in that lane. For example, Colorado's "Left Lane Law" states:

A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed-limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor-vehicles that are in a non-passing lane...[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_lan...n_practice
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Seen on a vehicle
Quote:YES THIS IS A RACE TRACK AND YES YOU ARE IN MY WAY!! GTFO!

It is also a major social faux pas here in Oz to be in the "overtaking/ fast lane" and you will cop abuse even IF you are travelling @ the speed limit. Should you be travelling more than 5km below the speed limit and the constabulary are bored you will be fined.

Quote:I'm not speeding.... I'm qualifying
Yeah I've heard that stuff. It doesn't make sense at all though because it condones speeding. It's "speed limit" not "speed average."
My ignore list

Thing is a speed limit is needed to enforce the copious amount of revenue coerced from drivers annually to boost the states and federal budgets so pollies can give themselves a payrise.

Very little is spent actually keeping roads in good repair and new construction...or so it seems here. 1-5km over the "speed limit" is easily achieved by any vehicles speedometer being inaccurate or simply just the nature of the road incline/ decline....gold mine for revenue raisers. Further the "road toll" numbers have not been impacted or reduced with the adherence to neurotic and inappropriate "speed limits" quite the contrary seems to be expressed though current data is still being gathered.

http://statistics.infrastructure.gov.au/...ritory.txd

It would also seem that the posted limit of 60 kph and 100 kph have a disproportionately higher toll that say 70 kph or 110 kph

I am wondering if this "safe'" concept is just making people "zone-out" and not concentrate on just what they are doing?? Where is seems that a faster speed gives cause to pay attention to the road and what is happening around one. imho

Undecided Sorry it is something I am passionate about.
If you gum up the works by going slower than the flow of traffic, you're just as dangerous at the guy who is mega-speeding.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
(December 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm)Annik Wrote: If you gum up the works by going slower than the flow of traffic, you're just as dangerous at the guy who is mega-speeding.

How does "people driving slower" equal "dangerous"?
My ignore list

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's the "Who would be left" contest! Angrboda 8 637 July 27, 2023 at 6:57 am
Last Post: emjay
  It's Time I Left The Architect Of Fate 30 2620 August 4, 2021 at 11:19 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  William Lane Craig worth $2 million. Jehanne 24 1348 July 25, 2021 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Remember when... (AF memory lane) J a c k 0 423 November 11, 2019 at 11:36 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Nineteen days left Foxaèr 50 3552 April 30, 2019 at 11:27 am
Last Post: madog
  Either texting and driving or drunk driving........ Brian37 0 394 October 8, 2017 at 7:18 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Texting and Driving brewer 68 12323 June 27, 2017 at 1:22 am
Last Post: johan
  With four weeks left Joods 18 2377 January 25, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  @ Everyone on AF: Would you miss me if I left? Edwardo Piet 32 5645 September 12, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Where are your hands when driving? brewer 38 4192 March 14, 2016 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Drich