Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Gig Year (well... the latter half)
My Gig Year (well... the latter half)
I've had a bumper gig year this year... here's the second half ...

Monty Python - July
Kate Bush - August
Philip Glass Ensemble - November
Peter Gabriel - December

How has your gig-year shaped up?

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
RE: My Gig Year (well... the latter half)
(December 8, 2014 at 6:56 am)ManMachine Wrote: Kate Bush - August

Didn't know she still performed. When I was in my early teens I loved her and her songs.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Got to see waaay to little music this year. In August, I was at the three day long Summerbreeze Open Air in southern Germany with all kinds of bands (only Metal though), and other than that, I only saw the Cologne Symphony playing Schönberg's Gurrelieder in June.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 8, 2014 at 7:46 am)abaris Wrote:
(December 8, 2014 at 6:56 am)ManMachine Wrote: Kate Bush - August

Didn't know she still performed. When I was in my early teens I loved her and her songs.

She returned to the Hammersmith Odeon (now called the Eventim Apollo) for a series of dates that ran from late August through to the first week in October. Her first shows for 35 years, and I was lucky enough to get a ticket.

There are strong rumours that she filmed it for a future DVD release, some fans got emails telling them their seats had been relocated to make way for cameras.

MM
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions" - Leonardo da Vinci

"I think I use the term “radical” rather loosely, just for emphasis. If you describe yourself as “atheist,” some people will say, “Don’t you mean ‘agnostic’?” I have to reply that I really do mean atheist, I really do not believe that there is a god; in fact, I am convinced that there is not a god (a subtle difference). I see not a shred of evidence to suggest that there is one ... etc., etc. It’s easier to say that I am a radical atheist, just to signal that I really mean it, have thought about it a great deal, and that it’s an opinion I hold seriously." - Douglas Adams (and I echo the sentiment)
I went to see John Bishop's Supersonic in Brighton. It was awesome Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I wish I could still enjoy going to concerts. I go so rarely now just because I've pretty much seen every band or artist I've ever wanted to and many of them I've seen multiple times. I did go see Slayer and Exodus a week ago so that was pretty cool. BTW Dimebag was killed 10 years ago today. Still bums me out.
"My life has taught me that true spiritual insight can come about only through direct experience, the way a severe burn can be attained only by putting your hand in the fire. Faith is nothing more than a watered-down attempt to accept someone else's insight as your own." -Damien Echols
(December 8, 2014 at 8:39 am)Rob216 Wrote: I wish I could still enjoy going to concerts. I go so rarely now just because I've pretty much seen every band or artist I've ever wanted to and many of them I've seen multiple times. I did go see Slayer and Exodus a week ago so that was pretty cool. BTW Dimebag was killed 10 years ago today. Still bums me out.

And I could've seen them in TX in 98 and didn't go because my fundiegelical guardians were freaking out about the pentagrams Sad

Edit:
Saw Anselmo with Down at the festival, man was he pissed.

Rip...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opyVdN8GZtc
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Down year by volume.

I did get to see Willie Nelson. I mostly listen to hard rock/metal, but really enjoyed the show.

I'm going to get 2015 started off right though. Marilyn Manson is playing a small venue in NYC next month.

I've never seen The Who so I plan on seeing them in May when they play within walking distance from my apartment. Forest Hills Stadium hosted the U.S. Open tennis tournament until '78.

It's been over 20 years since I've seen Guns 'n' Roses. There's a touring tribute band called Appetite for Destruction that I'm trying to get my wife interested to go see next month. I used to knock bands like these until I saw The Australian Pink Floyd.

(December 8, 2014 at 8:46 am)Alex K Wrote: Saw Anselmo with Down at the festival, man was he pissed.

Wanted to see Down next year, but there are no dates scheduled near me.
Ben Folds with the LA Philharmonic at the Hollywood Bowl
Billy Joel at the Hollywood Bowl
Weezer at Del Mar
Cake at Del Mar
The Cult at Del Mar
Young the Giant at the Cosmopolitan Boulevard Pool
Phoenix at the Cosmopolitan Boulevard Pool (I think that was this year)
Lucinda Williams at the Belly Up
ZZ Top in Laughlin NV
Arctic Monkeys at SDSU Open Air Theater
... Plus lots of local gigs. I had a pretty light year, too.
I've only seen local artists this year, none y'all would recognize -- Jon Napier, Tessy Lou, Gary P. Nunn, Mike Beck, and so on. Little roadhouses, fifty people in a crowd, good music, good times.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star HAPPY NEW YEAR Nay_Sayer 14 991 January 1, 2024 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Restaurant to eat free for a year Fake Messiah 6 625 January 17, 2023 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Happy New Year!! Jehanne 16 749 January 1, 2022 at 1:41 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Well, color me smeckledorfed! no one 4 654 December 31, 2021 at 8:57 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2190 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Happy New Year? zebo-the-fat 28 2023 January 2, 2021 at 4:42 am
Last Post: Apollo
  Parent Trap movie, do you think Lindsay Lohan does British English well in it? Sweden83 6 965 December 5, 2020 at 2:50 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Which console zo buy a 12-year-old kid? franzis 20 2438 February 23, 2020 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  HAPPY NEW YEAR ! WinterHold 4 632 January 1, 2020 at 6:18 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Well I'm off to Devon Cod 26 3544 August 4, 2019 at 3:59 am
Last Post: Cod