Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 12:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abundance Without Attachment
Abundance Without Attachment
My wife, who is the exact opposite of woo in any form, handed me the New York Times Sunday Review section this morning telling me she thought the message in this article was really good.

In it an economics reporter asks a swami in India if economic prosperity is a good thing.

As it turns out the swami was born the son of Indian petroleum engineers working in Texas, graduated with an MBA from the University of Texas and made a lot of money. Long story short, he went to India, entered a Hindu seminary and six years later became a monk .. a renunciate possessing only a wooden bowl, two robes and some beads. (Some might object here that two robes is excessive.)

The swami answers that it isn't prosperity but the attachment to it which leads to unhappiness. He goes on to give three practices for avoiding attachment:

Quote:Move beyond attachment by collecting experiences, avoid excessive usefulness, and get to the center of your wheel.

I have to agree with the wifey on this one. Pretty good advice.

http://nyti.ms/1uxAKge
RE: Abundance Without Attachment
I have to agree. Between us, my wife and I own a fair bit of stuff, but I can't imagine a single possession that I couldn't give up without a qualm in order to increase my happiness. Things are just, well...things.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Yep, it's all good. Eventually your stuff owns you if you're not careful. Remember what is really important.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I don't know. It's just how much is enough. Food on the table, a roof over your head, healthcare if necessary, those things really are necessary to happiness. After that, I agree that to want too much too badly, or getting too attached to what you do have, doesn't lead to happiness.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Tings are things, but things make me happy. I actually had a discussion with a neighbor recently about my reclusive nature. I've become unused to face to face interaction, except with my family and people I've already known for years, that I feel a bit awkward just sitting around talking to people.

I am the materialist that people like this warn against.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

When my ex threw me out six years ago, I had employment, my car, the clothes on my back, and no place to live.

I've accumulated a few things since then, but really nothing I can't live without, and I'm reluctant to acquire too many material possessions, because it really does rule your life when you have too much shit.
I've lost most everything I've owned twice -- once as a boy when we fled Iran, once as an adult when my storage burnt up in 2002.

Letting go of things has been a benefit to me, certainly.

Interesting comments.
I have always considered you are a slave to whatever you own.
I don't think my wife realizes it yet.
Your possessions can certainly come to own you. I've seen it happen. People let material possessions (expensive cars, huge house, boats, designer clothes, etc.) consume every facet of their lives. I don't subscribe to any religion, but I've always agreed with the Buddhist tenet regarding attachment to worldly things and concerns.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin
Give up everything and go back to 1989 and have Brian alive and well ??

Sure. Even if it fucks up the timeline.

Remember what Kyle Reese said to Sarah Connor, "I came across time for you . . . "

{teared up typing that, looks like I really mean it}

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3310 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Is world better without Saddam? TrueChristian 90 11884 December 31, 2015 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  >without the bad you can't appreciate the good MusicLovingAtheist 19 3747 October 22, 2014 at 10:41 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Thought Without Limit Foxaèr 7 2199 April 28, 2014 at 11:46 am
Last Post: sven
  The Modal Ontological Argument - Without Modal Logic Rational AKD 82 31234 February 17, 2014 at 9:36 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The modal ontological argument - without modal logic proves atheism max-greece 15 4983 February 14, 2014 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Morality without the righteous. What is right and wrong? Tranquility 35 9022 March 13, 2013 at 5:27 pm
Last Post: NoMoreFaith
Star Imagine A World Without Religion. Phish 58 17648 September 6, 2012 at 11:50 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Can the Universe Exist without consciousness? PlatinumDoodles 42 21585 August 6, 2011 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger