Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 9:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morality without the righteous. What is right and wrong?
Morality without the righteous. What is right and wrong?
"It is wrong to cause harm to others."

What does wrong mean?

"It is right to be helpful to others."

What does right mean?
RE: Morality without the righteous. What is right and wrong?
Which way do you want to take it? Lets try self interest. If you hit your neighbor he'll probably stab you in the liver when you aren't looking....but...if you help your other neighbor he may hold the would be stab-er at bay. So in this case, whats wrong is roughly equivalent to what is detrimental to yourself or whatever you encompass, and whats right is whatever is beneficial to the same. A wide range of "wrong" and "right" throughout or past and here in the present could probably be covered by this - whether or not it's accurate in and of itself, or whether or not it should be this way...............meh.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
The golden rule (with obvious exceptions, like masocists).
It is hypocrisy to be a complete Swear to everyone and still expect them to be nice to you.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
Only if the masochist believes it should be otherwise. lol
(March 12, 2013 at 4:53 pm)Tranquility Wrote: Only if the masochist believes it should be otherwise. lol

Thinking Well, they could just hurt themselves, I guess. Unless they were sadomasochistic, which would be...bad. Unless they were hurting other masochists...

*suddenly wonders if the "lol" means he wasn't supposed to respond seriously*
lol means I found it humorous. One is only hypocritical when one behaves contrary to ones own beliefs.
Right and Wrong are absolute statements which require context to attribute to an action.

Is it wrong to harm others who are in the action of trying to harm you or your family for instance.

The trick to morality is that in the context of an infinite number of situations and we make do with broad generalisations of right and wrong based on experience.

I would disagree that right and wrong is linked to the detriment or advantage of the individual, and I personally find it hard to argue with Kant's first categorical imperative being; "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction."

This is the closest to being able to formulate right or wrong in most instances.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
(March 12, 2013 at 4:27 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Which way do you want to take it?

A fair question. I believe that all morality is false.

(March 12, 2013 at 4:27 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Lets try self interest. If you hit your neighbor he'll probably stab you in the liver when you aren't looking....but...if you help your other neighbor he may hold the would be stab-er at bay. So in this case, whats wrong is roughly equivalent to what is detrimental to yourself or whatever you encompass, and whats right is whatever is beneficial to the same. A wide range of "wrong" and "right" throughout or past and here in the present could probably be covered by this - whether or not it's accurate in and of itself, or whether or not it should be this way...............meh.

Would you praise a man for helping another or condemn one for harming another? If so, would you do so out of self interest? More importantly, would you think praise or condemnation were deserved?

(March 12, 2013 at 5:06 pm)NoMoreFaith Wrote: I would disagree that right and wrong is linked to the detriment or advantage of the individual, and I personally find it hard to argue with Kant's first categorical imperative being; "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction."

The detriment and advantage to the individual is implied in both the golden rule and Kant's more refined version of it.
(March 12, 2013 at 5:06 pm)NoMoreFaith Wrote: Right and Wrong are absolute statements which require context to attribute to an action.

Is it wrong to harm others who are in the action of trying to harm you or your family for instance.

The trick to morality is that in the context of an infinite number of situations and we make do with broad generalisations of right and wrong based on experience.

I would disagree that right and wrong is linked to the detriment or advantage of the individual, and I personally find it hard to argue with Kant's first categorical imperative being; "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law without contradiction."

This is the closest to being able to formulate right or wrong in most instances.

Confused Fall Divine providence strikes again! I read an article on Kantian moral theory for uni just before posting this!

Unless I misunderstood you, it appears you are arguing in favor of traditional Kantian morality. I think that Kantian morality has one fatal flaw, which you inadvertantly mentioned in the paragraph above (third from the top). It is that no general moral rule can be without exception. If you take it on a situational basis, such as saying "action X is moral in situation Y" that remedies the problem. I do not know the definition of "objective" that is being used when people say "objective morals can't/don't exist" but if it is not referring to being able to mathematically prove morals, then I think the modified Kantian morals described above can have some objectivity. I tried to convey a point like this in some other posts of mine, but I think they were poorly constructed posts.

But of course that brings up the question of how to know what is right and wrong in a given situation in the first place, and I'd say golden rule for a good guideline, but you still need your best judgment.
(March 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm)Tranquility Wrote: The detriment and advantage to the individual is implied in both the golden rule and Kant's more refined version of it.

It's called empathy. Maybe some people can put their own selfish motivations into even that, but it certainly isn't necessary.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
(March 12, 2013 at 5:21 pm)Tranquility Wrote: Would you praise a man for helping another or condemn one for harming another? If so, would you do so out of self interest? More importantly, would you think praise or condemnation were deserved?
Depends, if they helped another to harm another, probably not. If they harmed another to prevent harm, again probably not.

@Dark, just how wide do you think the chasm between empathy and selfish motivations is? What informs that sense of empathy when you place yourself in another's shoes?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beauty, Morality, God, and a Table FrustratedFool 23 1832 October 8, 2023 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3894 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Belief without Verification or Certainty vulcanlogician 40 3297 May 11, 2022 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Is Moral Nihilism a Morality? vulcanlogician 140 10311 July 17, 2019 at 11:50 am
Last Post: DLJ
  Subjective Morality? mfigurski80 450 36731 January 13, 2019 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Acrobat
  Law versus morality robvalue 16 1332 September 2, 2018 at 7:39 am
  What is wrong with FW? Little Rik 126 14250 August 17, 2018 at 4:10 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8295 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  dynamic morality vs static morality or universal morality Mystic 18 3545 May 3, 2018 at 10:28 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4431 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm