Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your experiences dating religious people
Your experiences dating religious people
What are your experiences in dating a religious person? Has it been limited to just one religion? What was the conversation like when you told him or her that you're Atheist, or did you not say anything?

About twelve years ago, I dated a Catholic woman. When I mentioned my Atheism, she was completely dumbstruck. I said "Uh, it's right there on my myspace page..." (remember, this was 12 years ago). She told me she thought I was joking. Undecided

We moved on from that, and after two months, talks of moving in together started. "There's going to be a cross in every room." I hit the brakes right there.

After her, I dated a wiccan. A month into the relationship, she told me how she believed in "the rule of threes" and the power of crystals. She asked me if I was comfortable with that; my response was "It's no more ridiculous than any other religion." She smiled, and was happy to hear that for about ten seconds before she said, "Hey! You think they're all ridiculous!" Angry

I dated a Muslim girl when I was a teenager for about a week. She was very intelligent, and always thought of others. She hated dating an Atheist (despite the huge crush she had on me for a year, according to her), and said that it would be better if I was any religion, other than no religion. When we talked about her religion, my mind was completely blown when she told me she truly believed that men were superior to women. We stayed friends, but ended the relationship quickly.

About six years ago, I dated a girl from Thailand, the closest I got to dating an Atheist before I met my wife. Her only religious oddity was she explained that every year people gave donations to monks. I said, "why?". "So they can bless you." She didn't appreciate my new plan of doing nothing and accepting money for it (which was offensive to say in hindsight).

Those four are probably the most unique cases in my experience. Most of the time though, it wasn't a big deal. How about you?
Subscribe to Atheist News! Also, check out my latest video- Mass Effect Takes On Religion

https://www.youtube.com/c/AtheistNews
RE: Your experiences dating religious people
I've dated three religious people and I was married to one of them. I've also dated two atheists. Overall, I can't say there was a whole lot of difference in success (outside of the current one who is working out out just fine). My first relationship was with an atheist while I was Christian (at the time) and I was judged horribly for my beliefs (to be fair, they were really stupid beliefs). Then I dated (and married) a Christian who treated me like garbage for not believing exactly in the same insanely dogmatic Christian ideas. That's actually what got me to stop going to church services, even though I was still a Christian back then.

Outside of passing comments, the other people I've dated since then have never made religion (or the lack thereof) a problem. Then the guy I'm dating right now, who is a Christian, can actually have really great conversations with me about religion and atheism without either of us getting slightly offended or shocked. Actually, I enjoy and even look forward to that with him. We can both understand and support each other without us ultimately sharing the same beliefs. It also helps that he despises the same sort of Christians that I do. Big Grin
I don't believe you. Get over it.
I don't know if this counts but I briefly went out with a girl who believed in astrology like it was gospel. To the point where she based her entire opinions on people she met on what star sign they were.

Didn't seem like a big deal at first but when someone's entire view of the world is influenced by horse shit, it makes it hard to have any kind of understanding with them.
(October 29, 2016 at 6:04 am)Casca Wrote: Most of the time though, it wasn't a big deal. How about you?

I don't date religious people, I'm alergic to all kinds of religions. There's only one religious person, though, who I would date - if she weren't married already and she's a member of this forum. Big Grin
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
I don't date people period. They have germs. ಠ_ಠ
(October 29, 2016 at 7:02 am)Vic Wrote: I don't date people period. They have germs.

Just out of curiousity - what do you date? Animals? Cars? Trees? Worms? Tongue
[Image: OAsWbDZ.png]
(October 29, 2016 at 7:05 am)Atheist_BG Wrote:
(October 29, 2016 at 7:02 am)Vic Wrote: I don't date people period. They have germs.

Just out of curiousity - what do you date? Animals? Cars? Trees? Worms? Tongue

Worms are animals, and so are people... I don't date anything. For my and everybody else's sake.
Got no experiences. Never happened. Far as I know. Might also be that you have to look for religion to find it where I live. And I never moved in religious circles. By that I mean of the more radical and outspoken sort.

So, might be that some of the girls I dated were religious. But we never talked about iit.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
Only once, I dated a liberal-moderate Christian. She knew I was an atheist and I just never made it an issue. She didn't either, for a while. Eventually she couldn't help herself and started preaching. It wasn't the only factor, we were a bad match, but things were sour after that. It dragged on unhappily for a bit, then we split up. I decided to avoid dating religious people in the future.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Well, there was that time the sexton's daughter took me into the sacristy and showed me the Holy Ghost.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How accurate is Radiometric Dating? jerrymass 44 3575 April 1, 2023 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  If you had to pick between people who pimp prostitutes vs religious people Woah0 22 1889 August 28, 2022 at 5:51 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Questions for your Religious friends. johndoe122931 100 5011 June 5, 2021 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  I like to treat religious people nice. Jeezypete 27 4259 February 6, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Too many near death experiences purplepurpose 77 16859 November 13, 2017 at 8:48 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1124 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 13806 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  How religious or nonreligious is your family? Casca 44 4150 December 30, 2016 at 7:34 pm
Last Post: camlov2019
  The reason why religious people think we eat babies rado84 59 6347 December 3, 2016 at 2:13 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Has anyone discovered a successful way to make religious people atheist? Phosphorescent Panties 83 13939 April 12, 2016 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon