Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:27 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will you raise your children as Atheists?
Will you raise your children as Atheists?
I realize some of you may already have children, and I'd rather not edit the title with every grammar possibility.

If you are to have children, will you raise them as an Atheist? I think If I have children, I'm not going to raise them with the bullshit of Christianity, but I'm not going to force Atheism on my child, I'll teach him evolution and science, but I won't tell him that some magical man in the sky created the universe, what about you?
[Image: QH0tZwC.png]
RE: Will you raise your children as Atheists?
(December 17, 2014 at 7:46 pm)Kloud Wrote: I realize some of you may already have children, and I'd rather not edit the title with every grammar possibility.

If you are to have children, will you raise them as an Atheist? I think If I have children, I'm not going to raise them with the bullshit of Christianity, but I'm not going to force Atheism on my child, I'll teach him evolution and science, but I won't tell him that some magical man in the sky created the universe, what about you?

Every house has its own beliefs and traditions. You should raise them with the beliefs and traditions that are prevalent in your house.
I agree. Raise them to be an intelligent productive member of society and let them make their own decision.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!
I don't have any, but if I had, I would raise them the same way my parents raised me. Challenge them to make up their own minds about everything and most of all, question everything.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(December 17, 2014 at 7:49 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(December 17, 2014 at 7:46 pm)Kloud Wrote: I realize some of you may already have children, and I'd rather not edit the title with every grammar possibility.

Every house has its own beliefs and traditions. You should raise them with the beliefs and traditions that are prevalent in your house.
I know, I'm asking what you would raise them as?
[Image: QH0tZwC.png]
I am never having children. If I was to have children, however, I would allow them to make their own decisions. I would explain to them that I am an atheist, but that they should discover their own path by looking into religion/atheism themselves. Of course, I would also state that what they read regarding religion should be taken with a grain of salt.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I'm past the age where I might have children to consider and I had far too little to do with my daughter's upbringing so had little impact on her choices. Happily, in spite of her being raised by her mother who is a dear sweet soul but a pretty fundamental Christian, my daughter identifies herself at 45 as being agnostic.
I am VERY engaged in the raising of 3 of my 5 grandchildren and have had ongoing conversations with them about this issue since they were old enough to begin questioning and understanding it. I wouldn't say they were being raised as anything other than critical thinkers who have access to their parents views and mine and anyone else they choose to. Their choices are and always have been their own to make.
No kids, but both cats are required to consider me to be their deity.

It works on the one, but not the other.
Indeed, I did. One is 37 and the other is 34 and both think religion is a pile of shit.
They are mostly raised. We taught them to think rationally about historic and scientific claims. Answered questions about religion. Discussed religious books and videos received as gifts. Allowed them to go to church with family and friends. And we got just what we expected to get without indoctrination: atheists.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 558 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: Your facade cant disguise Renio92 19 2129 September 2, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4303 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11026 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4441 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2176 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9197 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 26716 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ken Ham hurts children, watch Manowar 4 1161 October 23, 2017 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Athiest with children? Jesus Cristo 69 12734 October 12, 2017 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis