Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:49 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critical thinker, skeptical about atheism.
Critical thinker, skeptical about atheism.
I have a nagging skepticism about atheism since it leaves unexplained the most basic questions of our existence and the existence of all things.

Q- Where does the Universe come from?
Dogmatic atheist- We don't know

Q Why are we here?

Q Is there any meaning to life?
Dogmatic atheist- We don't know but you can just make up an imaginary meaning in your brain (thus living a delusion)

Q Is there good and evil?
Dogmatic atheist (Dawkins)- There is no good and evil, we all dance to the tune of our DNA

Why then do we put "evil" people in jails? ("evil" is a religious word)
A truly honest Dogmatic atheist- We don't know

There are so many questions Ive asked atheists over the years, and their answers just seem illogical, and leave me even more skeptical about atheism.

Thoughts? Thinking
RE: Critical thinker, skeptical about atheism.
Yes - atheism is the absence of beliefs in god, of course "atheism" itself does not have an answer. You don't ask what the nutritional value of not being a cannibal is, either. What atheism means is that you reject certain simple answers to these questions because there are no good enough reasons to accept them.
P.s.
The questions you raise here are partly not well defined (where did the universe come from, can you tell me what thewe words even mean)? Others are deeply human questions. As an atheist I believe they do not have nor require an absolute answer and need to be figured out by us ourselves as individuals or a society. Accepting theologicap answers gives you an illusion of certainty which is ultimately dangerously deceptive.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(December 19, 2014 at 7:06 am)Antikytherian95 Wrote: Q- Where does the Universe come from?

Good answer.

(December 19, 2014 at 7:06 am)Antikytherian95 Wrote: Q Why are we here?

Incomplete answer. We don't start off knowing but we kind of figure it out as we go. It is sort of a trick question.

(December 19, 2014 at 7:06 am)Antikytherian95 Wrote: Q Is there any meaning to life?
Dogmatic atheist- We don't know but you can just make up an imaginary meaning in your brain (thus living a delusion)

What are you talking about, pot? I'm not half as black as you.

(December 19, 2014 at 7:06 am)Antikytherian95 Wrote: Q Is there good and evil?
Dogmatic atheist (Dawkins)- There is no good and evil, we all dance to the tune of our DNA

Why then do we put "evil" people in jails? ("evil" is a religious word)
A truly honest Dogmatic atheist- We don't know

We don't put evil people in jail. We put people who have proven themselves to be dangerous and unstable in jail for our own protection. Only 'god' punishes evil-doers .. or what's left of them once your kind gets through with them.

(December 19, 2014 at 7:06 am)Antikytherian95 Wrote: There are so many questions Ive asked atheists over the years, and their answers just seem illogical, and leave me even more skeptical about atheism.

It isn't that our answers are so illogical, they're just different than yours. Your's have a certain unified nature because you've plucked them from a single source without applying any thought of your own.

My answers too have internal logic you just lack the wit to see it. I can see yours, I'm just not at all tempted.
There is no dogmatic atheism, and atheism does not claim to answer any questions.

Just because a question has not been adequately explained yet, that isn't a free for all for everyone to claim their guess has any merit. The wise thing to do is to wait until there is enough evidence. There may never be, but "I don't know" is always a better answer than
"Here's some shit I made up / was made up 2000 years ago". The latter stifles inquiry because you feel you already have the answer.

One of the reasons religion is so popular is people often aren't comfortable admitting uncertainty.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
@ whateverist

So the logic is, we put people in jail, not for anything "evil" they have done, since "evil" doesn't exist,

its just so we, the "not-evil" people, feel "protected" to go on living meaningless lives that end in a hole in the ground.

Is that "logic"?
No, that's dogmatic religion trying to trash secularism.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(December 19, 2014 at 7:18 am)robvalue Wrote: There is no dogmatic atheism, and atheism does not claim to answer any questions.

Just because a question has not been adequately explained yet, that isn't a free for all for everyone to claim their guess has any merit. The wise thing to do is to wait until there is enough evidence. There may never be, but "I don't know" is always a better answer than
"Here's some shit I made up / was made up 2000 years ago". The latter stifles inquiry because you feel you already have the answer.

One of the reasons religion is so popular is people often aren't comfortable admitting uncertainty.

Being dogmatic about uncertainty, is still dogmatism.
We put people in jail as a deterrent against behaviour which we seem harmful to society, and to protect other people from dangerous ones.

(December 19, 2014 at 7:24 am)Antikytherian95 Wrote:
(December 19, 2014 at 7:18 am)robvalue Wrote: There is no dogmatic atheism, and atheism does not claim to answer any questions.

Really? Already?

I am not atheism. Atheism has no dogma. Please don't play word games if you want a serious discussion. I was giving my advice, with reasons.

Index of my best videos
(December 19, 2014 at 7:24 am)Antikytherian95 Wrote:

I literally have no idea what you mean here.

Are your stating that being intellectually honest about a position one has inadequate data in which to draw a positive or negative concussion either way equates to dogmatism? ARe you thus inferring that saying something is true, say, without the data to back it up is preferable?

As above, saying 'I don't know' =/= atheism.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(December 19, 2014 at 7:21 am)Antikytherian95 Wrote: @ whateverist

So the logic is, we put people in jail, not for anything "evil" they have done, since "evil" doesn't exist,

its just so we, the "not-evil" people, feel "protected" to go on living meaningless lives that end in a hole in the ground.

Is that "logic"?

I applaud you for sticking around to make a second post.

But if you're going to earn your user name you've got to show some signs of reading what people write fairly and with an open mind. You don't really want to do that, do you? If not, you're not at all a critical thinker. Just the opposite, you're a dogmatic one uninterested in any feedback.

Evil isn't something I think about a lot. As I've shown, you don't need it to justify locking up dangerous people who have done dangerous things which are clearly against the law.

You can't seriously blame me for my life ending when they dispose of my body, can you? I haven't chosen that .. I've merely accepted the obvious. You know darn well that when you die your body too will go in the ground or be cremated, etc. You just think -without any proper evidence- that your subjective experience will go on in an even better place.

Enjoy your fantasy. I'm just choosing to embrace reality as I find it as much as possible. Admittedly though I also embrace fantasy bits here and there. To each his own.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist or Skeptical videos Angrboda 27 2700 October 17, 2022 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27107 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Atheist thinker, or ignorant believer? WinterHold 5 1827 May 20, 2016 at 6:43 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Create your own skeptical quotes. Brian37 33 3911 March 20, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12468 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12141 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10476 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  A different definition of atheism. Atheism isn't simply lack of belief in god/s fr0d0 14 12006 August 1, 2012 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  "Old" atheism, "New"atheism, atheism 3.0, WTF? leo-rcc 69 38078 February 2, 2010 at 3:29 am
Last Post: tackattack